BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tyres

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you reckon?
Bridgestone 020/021
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Michellin Pilot Road
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
Something completly Different
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 14

crazy horse
Sink the pink
Sink the pink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Tyres Reply with quote

It's nearly time for new tyres for my bike and I'm wondering if to stick with my trusted Bridgestones (020's now supersceeded by 021's) or go for something different (Michellin pilot road seem a popular choice).
Some things to consider are, my bike, which is a 750cc retro, my riding style, which I consider quick rather than fast (I'd sooner go halfway across France to watch someone else go teararsing around a track than do it myself) I ride in all weathers and I'd sacrifise some grip for Longevity (Theres still some brand new bit's 'round the edges on my current tyres).

Answers on a post card please to the usual address
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a recent convert to Metzler Z6's, I have not tried them on the CB1300, but they are really good on the Firestorm and seem to wear better than the 020's tend too. Closest bike I know to yours that's running them is Chuffs 600 blandit...

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Chuffster
Knight in Green Armour
Knight in Green Armour

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do anything but highly recomend the Metzeler Z6's. As Duncan says, I had a pair on my Blandit. They were great confidence inspirers straight from fitting. The front one now has 7.5 thousand miles on it, and plenty of life left yet. Unfortunately, the rear got a massive blow out on the A2 just after 2 thousand miles. I couldn't get a rear at the time so had to put an 020 on. I am quite happy with the 020, its pretty competent. Initially, it slid around more than the Metzeler. It certainly doesn't seem to wear as well either. OK, its got 5.5 thousand on it now, I suppose I should be happy with that, especially the way I tend to ride, but, its squaring off despite my bestest efforts at not letting it. I have also found that when it comes to wet riding, the 020 is not quite up to the same grip levels as the Z6, especially when it comes to white lines.
Flipper
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridgestone are claiming and extra 15% on the life of the 021's compared t the 020's . My 020's are just about knackered after 7.5k miles

Might try the Z6
GT
Expert CnutCnut
Expert CnutCnut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Pilot Roads, v impressed with them but make sure whatever tyre you get is recommended for use on your bike!! Could cost you if your insurance co find out if you stack it and you've fitted tyres that aint !!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
Tiny
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear by Metzeler M1 Sportec, but I have Pilot Powers on at the moment and they are just as good....
lost again
Dancing tree frog!
Dancing tree frog!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have metzelers m1s on the r1 dont last long on the back though
have pilot roads on the zx9r used them for tickler last year plenty of grip and seem to be wearing well
apexer
Moto Crosser
Moto Crosser

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mich pilots on the storm and the diff over the 020's is amazing so much more grip in the wet and so much feel in the corners so far had done 4000mls before i took it off the road and theres no flat spot still nice and curvy
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost again wrote:
have metzelers m1s on the r1 dont last long on the back though
have pilot roads on the zx9r used them for tickler last year plenty of grip and seem to be wearing well

Got M1s on mine as well and love them for grip on the twisties and in the Alps but I did shred the centre of the rear tyre pretty quick on the last set Confused possibly due to my riding style from the lights Laughing

Madam is still on the last set and they are still lasting well Cool

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got M1s on the CB13 super grip, don't think there going to last long though.

Pilot roads on the Zed thou, are superb will defo be putting them on the CB in due course.
Va Va Yes yes yes yes!!!!
Va Va Yes yes yes yes!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had new tyres just shortly after I was able to ride the Legend and haven't had any since ...so. done about 18-19,000 miles and just starting to look like they might need changing soon.......ish....

They didn't have a pair of 120s so I went for a pair of Pirelli Diablo Strada's ...same sort of thing, apparently

Must surely depend on what you want them for? ...for me, a daily commute on motorway-type traffic, and fun at weekends
crazy horse
Sink the pink
Sink the pink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all that it's gonna be 021's again, as when I booked the bike in the dealer mentioned that there was a recall with Michelin ( although he didn't specify which one's ) so I went for what I'm happy with anyway.
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy horse wrote:
After all that it's gonna be 021's again, as when I booked the bike in the dealer mentioned that there was a recall with Michelin ( although he didn't specify which one's ) so I went for what I'm happy with anyway.

Always a great way to end a thread Laughing

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: