BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meal ettiquette
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Food bill splitting...
Split evenly - might be you next time on the sauce
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Pay for your share, why should you pay for someone else's excessive drinking
76%
 76%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 17

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
And I thought I was the only Jew around here? Tightarses.......

rolling on the floor laughing

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pip
Pip Pedrosa
Pip Pedrosa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly don't smell any bacon on this thread.
If I eat out with friends, the bill is always split evenly. Even if I am driving and people have more than my one beer, it doesn't matter. When people start calculating what they had at the end of a meal it ruins the whole thing.

As for drinks. If someone is drinking ale, say a pint of Old Bastard every round which costs £1.50 and someone is drinking spirits coming to nigh on £4, on a night out it can make more difference than with food.
Windy
Just call me Janice...
Just call me Janice...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened to me as Biggus' colleague.

I voted with my feet and have now I've stopped going out for lunches with the other secretaries from work as the same thing happens repeatedly.

It's a shame as most of them are great but there are 3 culprits who always have a starter, main course, pudding plus a big glass of wine (city prices = about £5) plus coffee. Me? I have a diet coke and a main course! The Essex contingent always insist on splitting the bill so last time I refused and left enough cash to cover my nosh and said 'see you back at the office'. Laughing
The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matttherat wrote:
Meals are different meaning ........

Matt, i've read through this again and I can't see what you are getting at. We are both saying the same thing. Or have i got confused somewhere I don't know
honda fatboy
Moto Crosser
Moto Crosser

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally am happy to split bills evenly based on people eating in the group, however, usually the meals are with good friends and evening ones and not work colleagues for lunch.

I, being the gobby git that I am, would actually pipe up and say 'Hang on a minute, I'm not subsidising your pi55 up lunch and six course meal you greedy b4stards' if I felt they were taking the micky and let them know half way through the meal that I was not gonna 'split the bill 5 ways' before we got to the finish.

One suggestion I have, id to be the one that works out the bill and the divvy, and say 'So and so only had a coke and a main, so they pay less, the restt of us is £30 each, unless anyone has a problem with that?' to which no-one normally wants to be seen to be tight arsed and all agree!

But, no, If I genuinely felt taken for a mug, I'd say summat and then decline any future meals with that group, or the specific culprits.

Might explain why I have very few friends!!!

And even less that invite me out for meals!!! Smile

HFB
ardee
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want to subsidise someone else's food bill any significant amount but equally I would not let someone subsidise my meal if I knew mine was more expensive. I also refuse the offer of a drink from others if I am not able to afford offer to buy a round for everyone who is there as that doesn't seem fair either.
V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honda fatboy wrote:
Might explain why I have very few friends!!!

And even less that invite me out for meals!!! Smile

HFB

Laughing behind hand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: