BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Death Penalty
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Live or Die
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 15 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 20

Suzibabe
Vin Diesel
Vin Diesel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm interesting. During a Project Management course we debated this. However, it was based on second offence for murderers and paedophiles. There was a lot of opposition to bring it back and everyone put their reasons forward both for and against.

However, at the end, the vote ended up as being 'For'.

I think the real problem is that the deterrent isn't there. Slightly off topic, but making a point, Malta is clamping down on drug trafficking. Here are three cases from the Times of Malta in the past 2 days.

"Djalo Sadumo, 42 of Guinea-Bassau was today jailed for 11 years and fined €30,000 after admitting to having imported heroin in 52 capsules in December 2007"

"In a similar case, Nigerian Victor Odaro Izevbigie, 36, admitted importing cocaine in 14 capsules in his stomach and was jailed for eight years. He was also fined €20,000. The Nigerian was arrested in October, 2008."

"A Nigerian man was yesterday jailed for 20 years and fined €70,000 for importing three kilograms of cocaine in what was described as one of the largest drug hauls ever."

Don't get that sort of "deterrent" in this country.
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cueball wrote:
daily torture hey, Pinapple up the bum daily sounds about right!

Not personal experience I hope!

And it's PINEAPPLE

Spelling Police won't be impressed.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
A man has committed murder, has stood trial, been convicted and sentenced to death. He is then executed by the "executioner." Is what the executioner has done not considered murder as well?

Absolutely... Those who caught, and illegally (under the Geneva convention) executed the Great Escapeés were following orders from Hitler, yet they were tracked down, and ironically executed themselves. So.... where does it stop?

Again, I ask, if someone has a genetic pre-disposition to violent crime they could be considered to be mentally ill, just as an alcoholic or drug addict is mentally ill, or mentally pre-disposed to their particular behavior. Should pity not be what they are shown to a certain degree?

What made you ask the question? Was it on Jeremy Kyle this morning?

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Taz wrote:
A man has committed murder, has stood trial, been convicted and sentenced to death. He is then executed by the "executioner." Is what the executioner has done not considered murder as well?

Absolutely... Those who caught, and illegally (under the Geneva convention) executed the Great Escapeés were following orders from Hitler, yet they were tracked down, and ironically executed themselves. So.... where does it stop?

Again, I ask, if someone has a genetic pre-disposition to violent crime they could be considered to be mentally ill, just as an alcoholic or drug addict is mentally ill, or mentally pre-disposed to their particular behavior. Should pity not be what they are shown to a certain degree?

What made you ask the question? Was it on Jeremy Kyle this morning?

OI! stop misquoting me!

Of course a judge would have to take everything into consideration, if a person is proved to be mentally ill then there would have to be consideration to this.

No it wasn't on Jeremy Kyle, a post on another forum brought this to mind but as there is a death of a Police officer involved, I am not going into detail.
Biker-Spawn
"Magneto"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal opinion: Yes, there should be a death penalty for some things. However, the death penalty should not be automatic.

If a person has committed murder, even if in cold blood, but is unlikely to do it again as it was for a unique reason or due to mental disability then I do not believe the death penalty should be applied.

If the person has committed murder out of a general disregard to society and there is a high likelihood of the person committing murder or crimes of a similar nature again (such as, say, permanently crippling someone by beating them round the head with a hammer), then yes the death penalty should be applied. In such an instance the death penalty is a preventative measure.

For example, big time drug dealers for whom offenses such as GBH are common should face the death penalty, as they have a high likelihood of reoffending due to their disregard for the affect of their actions upon society.

On the other hand, if a man kills another man because the man in question raped his wife, but otherwise has a clean criminal record, I say give him a slap on the wrist. A hefty fine and a short prison sentence, maybe just community service. He knows what he did is wrong, but it's not likely that he's going to kill anyone else because the chances of someone else giving such a reason are low...and if someone does give such a reason, I think the reaction of killing them is quite understandable.

Also, if there's a genetical thing in some people which causes them to commit murder, then surely executing the bastard removes their "genetic" from the gene pool? It'd be similar to natural selection...

Perhaps thinking like this makes me a bad person... Jimmy Hill

If you can't get it going with bungee cords and gaffa tape, it's serious.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
Of course a judge would have to take everything into consideration, if a person is proved to be mentally ill then there would have to be consideration to this.

I was not saying about proving mental illness, I was just saying that those who in particular commit multiple crimes are highly likely to be genetically or otherwise predisposed to such behaviour - is that really their fault? Get orf your high horse and stop missing the point! Smile I am not saying they should be excused, BUT perhaps in someways we should have pity on them as their behaviour is not what we consider "normal" but to them it probably is.

We have to be clear, as from my untrained ordinary guy on the street perspective there are several different kinds of "murder"/killing

1. The act of killing another human being is a pleasurable experience for the killer i.e. "serial killers"

2. Crime of passion - someone catches their partner out and in a rage kills them or their lover/whatever, and probably immediately regrets it, and I would imagine that they turn themselves in.

3. someone who has been bullied, beaten or otherwise abused for years finally snaps and "wraps the frying pan round the old mans head". They probably feel relieved, call 999 and turn themselves in.

4. Out of hand arguement, the "victor" of the arguement panics, and does a runner.

There are probably other types, however, 2 & 3 I can understand, I am not saying I accept or condone. #1... that is where we call people "sick" etc... yes they are, mentally sick, I don't care what people say, I am sure that people who have those tendancies think them normal, albeit socially unacceptable.

Taz wrote:
No it wasn't on Jeremy Kyle, a post on another forum brought this to mind but as there is a death of a Police officer involved, I am not going into detail.

Why not? Why stir up here and not actually say what it's really about, and why you are so clearly het up about it?

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this 'lefty liberal' talk of Mental illness and how it's wrong to have the death penalty really pisses me off.

Yes, OK, they may be mentally ill, which may be why they committed murder in the first place. But that doesn't alter the fact that they have taken someones life. And if they have taken someones life, on purpose, which is what murder is, then they should be removed from society forever. That's my view.

Suzibabe, with the discussion you had about only after the second offence, the thing is if it was done after the first offence then there would not have been a second offence, that is one life saved!!!!!!

Not just talking about the death penalty here, but it is the 'lefty liberals' and their view's that is why this country is so fcuked up and people don't feel safe leaving their homes for fear of getting robbed at knifepoint.

Ban the Human Rights Act

Ban re-habilitation

Get rid of all the pool tables, playstations, gyms, tv's, radios etc etc from prisons. Lock them up in a cell for 23 1/2 hours every day and let them have 1\2 hours walking around in a circle for exercise. Ban all visiting rights. Make them serve the full sentance that they are given. Ban time off for good behaviour, instead, extent their time for bad behaviour.

Make prison a bad place to be, and not the place the lefty liberals have made it now.

Sorry, went off on a tangent then Laughing
Sharky
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biker-Spawn wrote:
Personal opinion: Yes, there should be a death penalty for some things. However, the death penalty should not be automatic.

If a person has committed murder, even if in cold blood, but is unlikely to do it again as it was for a unique reason or due to mental disability then I do not believe the death penalty should be applied.

If the person has committed murder out of a general disregard to society and there is a high likelihood of the person committing murder or crimes of a similar nature again (such as, say, permanently crippling someone by beating them round the head with a hammer), then yes the death penalty should be applied. In such an instance the death penalty is a preventative measure.

For example, big time drug dealers for whom offenses such as GBH are common should face the death penalty, as they have a high likelihood of reoffending due to their disregard for the affect of their actions upon society.

On the other hand, if a man kills another man because the man in question raped his wife, but otherwise has a clean criminal record, I say give him a slap on the wrist. A hefty fine and a short prison sentence, maybe just community service. He knows what he did is wrong, but it's not likely that he's going to kill anyone else because the chances of someone else giving such a reason are low...and if someone does give such a reason, I think the reaction of killing them is quite understandable.

Also, if there's a genetical thing in some people which causes them to commit murder, then surely executing the bastard removes their "genetic" from the gene pool? It'd be similar to natural selection...

Perhaps thinking like this makes me a bad person... Jimmy Hill

Nah i think your spot on mate
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Taz wrote:

I was not saying about proving mental illness, I was just saying that those who in particular commit multiple crimes are highly likely to be genetically or otherwise predisposed to such behaviour - is that really their fault? Get orf your high horse and stop missing the point! Smile I am not saying they should be excused, BUT perhaps in someways we should have pity on them as their behaviour is not what we consider "normal" but to them it probably is.

We have to be clear, as from my untrained ordinary guy on the street perspective there are several different kinds of "murder"/killing

1. The act of killing another human being is a pleasurable experience for the killer i.e. "serial killers"

2. Crime of passion - someone catches their partner out and in a rage kills them or their lover/whatever, and probably immediately regrets it, and I would imagine that they turn themselves in.

3. someone who has been bullied, beaten or otherwise abused for years finally snaps and "wraps the frying pan round the old mans head". They probably feel relieved, call 999 and turn themselves in.

4. Out of hand arguement, the "victor" of the arguement panics, and does a runner.

There are probably other types, however, 2 & 3 I can understand, I am not saying I accept or condone. #1... that is where we call people "sick" etc... yes they are, mentally sick, I don't care what people say, I am sure that people who have those tendancies think them normal, albeit socially unacceptable.

Taz wrote:

Why not? Why stir up here and not actually say what it's really about, and why you are so clearly het up about it?

Of course a proportional viewpoint would have to be taken into consideration with regard to all of the above. If someone has killed before then yes they are likely to kill again. A jury would still have to hear the case once it has been proved 100 percent that the culprit is guilty. It would be the job of the psychologist(s) to present their report to the judge and jury for any issues regarding the accused mental stability

There will always be different scenarios as to why a murder took place, getting the balance between them hanging etc. for the offence or going to jail would be very difficult. As Mouse points out, there is absolutely no deterrent not to commit murder in this country anymore.

Last edited by Taz on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Biker-Spawn
"Magneto"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
As Mouse points out, there is absoulutely no deterrent not to commit murder in this country anymore.

Yeah there is, I don't fancy doing 18 months inside.

Biker-Spawn
"Magneto"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mouse wrote:

Not just talking about the death penalty here, but it is the 'lefty liberals' and their view's that is why this country is so fcuked up and people don't feel safe leaving their homes for fear of getting robbed at knifepoint.

Ban the Human Rights Act

Ban re-habilitation

Get rid of all the pool tables, playstations, gyms, tv's, radios etc etc from prisons. Lock them up in a cell for 23 1/2 hours every day and let them have 1\2 hours walking around in a circle for exercise. Ban all visiting rights. Make them serve the full sentance that they are given. Ban time off for good behaviour, instead, extent their time for bad behaviour.

Make prison a bad place to be, and not the place the lefty liberals have made it now.

+1 2 Thumbs up

Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biker-Spawn wrote:
Taz wrote:
As Mouse points out, there is absoulutely no deterrent not to commit murder in this country anymore.

Yeah there is, I don't fancy doing 18 months inside.

You're not wrong which is why we are in this sad state.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mouse wrote:
All this 'lefty liberal' talk of Mental illness and how it's wrong to have the death penalty really pisses me off.

If that is aimed at me, I ask that you kindly read what I was actually saying, or trying to say Rolling Eyes

The Mouse wrote:
Yes, OK, they may be mentally ill, which may be why they committed murder in the first place.

My point was about a genetic predisposition for criminality/violence/deviant behaviour, I wasn't excusing their actions.

The Mouse wrote:
But that doesn't alter the fact that they have taken someones life.

No, sadly not Sad

The Mouse wrote:
And if they have taken someones life, on purpose,

My "lefty" point of view was just saying that the perpetraitors think that it's ok or normal, which is what I was referring to as mentally ill Confused

The Mouse wrote:
which is what murder is, then they should be removed from society forever. That's my view.

And in part, I agree with you

The Mouse wrote:
Suzibabe, with the discussion you had about only after the second offence, the thing is if it was done after the first offence then there would not have been a second offence, that is one life saved!!!!!!

And it probably all stems from not being allowed to give the kids the slipper/belt/cane... never did me any harm, and by god I lived in fear of those!

The Mouse wrote:

Perhaps if coppers did their jobs rather than trying to catch "innocent" speeding motorcyclists the world would be a better place Wink Smile

The Mouse wrote:
Ban the Human Rights Act

Laughing I agree in parts that it like so many things is a complete farce Smile

The Mouse wrote:
Ban re-habilitation

Dependant on the crime and circumstance, but, cold blooded murder and other such crimes, yes I agree.

The Mouse wrote:

Yup +1

The Mouse wrote:

Absolutely!

The Mouse wrote:

An unusual occurance for you Laughing Smile

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
The Mouse wrote:

If that is aimed at me, I ask that you kindly read what I was actually saying, or trying to say Rolling Eyes

Wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, chill out dude Smile
Flipper
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a yes for me - I would also include illegal entry into the country Cool
Biker-Spawn
"Magneto"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
I would also include illegal entry into the country Cool

+1 Very Happy

southernspeed
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cueball wrote:
yes, the burning of the witches, the inquisition etc, etc were a dark patch in the Church's history (not that I am church historian). I'd not like to stuck into a discussion about the finer points about organised relegion. What it comes down to at the end of the day is each and everybody's personal point of view.

I would, however, like to pose this question!

Is his "life taking" deed less wrong than the murderer and if so, by who'se great authority is it ordained that this form of life taking is not murder?
Is it then not expected that the executed's family has the right to have the executioner executed?

Just some food for thought!

Where do you stand on our country having armed forces then?

www.carshaltonmcc.com
www.surreysportsmotorcycles.com
The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

southernspeed wrote:
Cueball wrote:
yes, the burning of the witches, the inquisition etc, etc were a dark patch in the Church's history (not that I am church historian). I'd not like to stuck into a discussion about the finer points about organised relegion. What it comes down to at the end of the day is each and everybody's personal point of view.

I would, however, like to pose this question!

Is his "life taking" deed less wrong than the murderer and if so, by who'se great authority is it ordained that this form of life taking is not murder?
Is it then not expected that the executed's family has the right to have the executioner executed?

Just some food for thought!

Where do you stand on our country having armed forces then?

Very good point
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course we should bring it back. Why should the taxpayer pay to keep some of the worst scum in luxury for many years, or the rest of their life ? Prison seems too easy an option !
andjel
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cueball wrote:
daily torture hey, Pinapple up the bum daily sounds about right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZQw6KuNKqs
Shocked Wink

'mothman' - half man, half moth

Success is the result of good judgement. Good judgement is the result of experience. Experience is often the result of bad judgement.

"Ad acta"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: