BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wheel Balancing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should wheels be balanced when fitting tyres?
Yes
89%
 89%  [ 17 ]
Not needed
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
It depends...
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

Baloo

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Wheel Balancing Reply with quote

I always have my wheels balanced when new tyres are fitted. I also know that several reputable tyre fitters do not think it is necessary.

Any views?
GT
Expert CnutCnut
Expert CnutCnut

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should be!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last couple of sets of tyres have not been balanced. Haven't noticed any difference TBH.

I think that with the manufacturing processes and materials today, tyres are a lot more consistant in mass around the diameter. As long as the valve marks are in the right place then all should be fine.
summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
Last couple of sets of tyres have not been balanced. Haven't noticed any difference TBH.

I think that with the manufacturing processes and materials today, tyres are a lot more consistant in mass around the diameter. As long as the valve marks are in the right place then all should be fine.

I agree with Barry however you need to consider not only the construction of the tyre but also the construction of the wheel itself, sometimes factories let some small differences come out of the production line that won't matter when they are new but once you change the tyre then a big difference will show! I say all wheels should balanced as a defo!!
cheers.
lost again
Dancing tree frog!
Dancing tree frog!

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having had front end wobbles from badly balenced wheels.i have mine done every time not sure how if the back needs to be done though
motogp
CBT'er
CBT'er

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have mine done with new tyres
southernspeed
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the hundreds (thousands?) of tyres I've fitted, I've never had a problem with not balancing them. The only time I had trouble was with an Azaro front. I then had it balanced by 2 different people but still couldn't get rid of the vibration. I sent the tyre back to Avon and it turned out to be faulty.
I used to do a dozen or more track days a year several years ago, using a new set of tyres 1 - 2 days and never needed to balance any. Never had a problem with customers road bikes or any of my bikes, including the 'Busa which, abroad, has done sustained 160mph plus runs without a problem.
I'm by no means saying 'don't' get them balanced if you want that peace of mind, I'm just saying that in my experience it's not really necessary. I see some wheels with a huge amount of weights on. If the tyre had been mounted correctly in the first place they wouldn't have been needed.
No, I can't promise that you won't need to ever get a tyre balanced but don't get dragged into the 'they must be balanced' school of thought without being given good reason why.
But as I said, if you need the peace of mind then get them balanced as it's never nice riding/driving worrying about those elusive noises/vibrations you get when something's on your mind! Laughing

www.carshaltonmcc.com
www.surreysportsmotorcycles.com
andi
Polishes his nuts
Polishes his nuts

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually my local fitter balance the wheels. However, during the tyres life, the weights seem to disappear and I never notice until the next bike wash. Never affected the ride AFAIKT.
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, had bikes a couple of times where new tyres were fitted and not balanced and the vibrations were terrible, ruined a trackday for me once!
sinking bike
Formerly HG Purley
Formerly HG Purley

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When ever we fit new tyres we balance them. Part of doing the job for us.
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, how many of you spend money having your tyres balanced and then fit a right angle valve?

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

You're Never Alone With Schizophrenia
Baloo

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ_DJ wrote:
Out of interest, how many of you spend money having your tyres balanced and then fit a right angle valve?

I had right angle valves fitted during the previous tyre change and balance.

Interestingly, I had two weights fitted to the front wheel yesterday during the tyre change. I have not looked at the back wheel yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: