BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Something for the weekend Sir"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very nice Baz, it looks very mean too! good on ya mate!Thumbs up
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
biggus wrote:
Looking good matey, glad the spacer worked out ok. Nice to have an excuse to use the lathe Smile

Cheers chap. I may, if its ok, call on you to turn that spacer down a gnats cock. I stuck the engine back in and the wheels on. For some unknown bloody reason the chain alignment is out a tad.

No problem mate. Cool It's looking good Very Happy

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the main part it looks the nuts but i cant seem to find my way to liking that tank ...it just looks so random stuck up in the air like that and the bottom of it just looks sooooooo flat aqnd kinda unfinished .....but good work Bazs long as you like it thats the main thing Cool
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda agree with MrE, but I think you're gonna change it at some point, eh Baz. To my mind/eye, it needs to be channelled over the top tube.
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the positive comments chaps, appreciate that. Need it at the mo as its really getting on my tits. Some bits just won't work out how I want them too. Other things that I think are going to be a mare turn out to be a breeze.....go figure!

The tank. You know I was of the same opinion when I first got it. Hated it, loathed it. Took it off and slung it in the corner in disgust. BUT the more I see it on there the more its growing on me. I did try to contact Tony to see if he could put a tunnel in it for me, but no luck.
I've had a measure up and if it has a tunnel in it, it'll be too long for the bike. I've had to alter ther steering stops to stop the bars hitting it as it is.

If I come across a fat teardrop type tank of the right length then that'll be perfect. In saying that I'm not throwing money at it yet. Dunno wether I'll like riding it! If I do then in the winter months I'll tear it all down (been watching too much Orange County Tossers!) and change a few things, tank, wheels etc.
As it is its just a tidy up job. Get things so it doesn't look like the cobbled together pile it was when I got it. In that respect I'm fairly pleased with the way its turning out. It always was going to be a budget build to start with.
Budget except for the insurance that it. Ferk me, it has cost more to insure than the VTR!. The 'onda is just sub 100 quid fully comp. This sodding thing is 175 sovs TPFT!! That was after finding only 3 companies that would even consider insuring it. Nash turned out to be the middle of the road with a reasonable 150 quid excess, which is protected and they give it back.....can't work that out.

Work goes on. Whipped the head off tonight to do the gasket. They finally turned up, with Italian post marks no less.
The engine internals are in amazingly good shape for a 30 year old bike. Doesn't seem to be any excess wear on the cam or the journals. In fact the journals are in amazing condition. Theres no crud or sludge build up at all. The oil must have been changed on a regular basis.
Didn't get it back togetjer though. Undecided on what to do with the head and cam cover. I'm a bit sick of polishing for hours and getting covered in crud.
I was thinking of spraying the head and cover in the same enamel that I used on the cylinders. Should look ok with polished tappet cover caps and polished nuts.....yeah I know. Was toying with the idea of taking the paint off the edges of the cooling fins, as in Trumpet Bonnie stylee. Not sure if that would look too much black. Whaddy think?
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baz ...i9m not sure exactly what your looking for but as something to play with from scratch i thought maybe this was within budget for ya ....and its tunneled Wink .......just a thought and a heads up
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linky no worky!

Well I'm almost there. Jobs left to do are, front brake, fit headlight and clocks. Sort a wiring glitch and fit the exhaust, Thats about it really.

Only problem is I STILL have'nt recieved the clocks from M&P even though I had an email saying that they had them in stock last saturday. Phoned them today and it seems they don't have them. Why send the email??

Still haven't sourced a decent headlight for reasonable money. Seen a few I like, but can't justify the price tags of over 100 quid. All I want is a chrome 6 or 7 inch one. So if you know of anywhere give I a shout please.

Still don't know wether to wrap the exhaust in exhaust wrap, funnily enough. Dunno wether it would suit it. Going to have to do something with it at some stage.

No pictures this time. Just too damn dark to take any when I'd finished tinkering. Try and get some the morrow after work when I drag it out to carry on with it. Its actually starting to look like a complete bike!
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry Baz try this......
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TEAR-DROP-PETROL-TANK-/280688827263?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item415a5b9b7f
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye thats the sort of thing Pete, but to be honest I'd need to know the length etc to see if it could be made to fit. Had a look at one today. The right price but a tad too long. I'll keep trawling the ads.

Been carrying on working on it tonight. Even sourced a headlight for reasonable money. Got a 5.5" Bates unit for 40 quid. Seems to suit the bike ok. Started to fabricate a mount for it.

Its really starting to get there. Got a fair bit done this eve. The throttle was a pig as the cable needed shortening. Damn fiddly to get it in. The carbs went on. The rear brake torque arm was finished. All the wiring sub harnesses up front were finished along with the rear. All the electrics for the lighting horn etc now work. Need to sort the ignition circuit. That shouldn't take too long, famous last words!

Front brake has had new seals etc and bleed through. Did a few other fiddly jobs that needed doing. All in all the only things left is fitting the exhaust, changing the filter a filling with oil and of course the ignition.
The damn clocks still haven't turned up. Won't be here until next week FFS. I may just stick a Sigma 20 quid job cycle speedo on it for now. I really want it on the road by the week end!

A couple of pics for your perusal.....I'm gonna bore you stupid!! Smile

Peoples thoughts more than welcome. On a surprise note. I got invited to show it at a car and bike club meet in Ockley next monthat the pub whathisname worked at!
Blonde Banana
Humiliatrix
Humiliatrix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Baz, lots of time & effort gone into that & it shows Smile
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry, it's starting to look good, and unless my eyes deceive me, that view into the front with nice small headlight and wide ole bars makes it look very much like a "flat tracker", a look I'm rather partial to.
But that tank ain't right for that look. Is the flat tracker look what you're ultimately aiming for?
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too love a flat traker, but I couldn't find an XS650 cheap and ratty enough to make one.
Wasn't aiming at making this into a tracker, wrong bike, wrong frame. Was aiming more at a Bobber. Trawling the tinterweb I've short of achieved it....loosely!
Making it up as I go along really. The womans chauffer from work runs a car/bike club, Mental V8's or something its called. He had a look over it tonight and seemed impressed with the look, fit and finish of it. Even invited me to show it at a club show next month. Doubt I will. Its clean but not THAT good.

The tank has grown on me, but I think I'd still prefer a teardrop shape. Its got to be fairly short though as there isn't really the lenght in the top tube. The frame was never lengthen'd when it was hardtailed.
Ridng position is fairly conventional and it retains the original bikes dimensions regarding wheelbase,rake and trail. So it won't handle then. Never rode an 80's cruiser that ever did!
See now you've done it. I've ideas forming for the next one. Know of a cheap XS anyone?
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
I too love a flat traker, but I couldn't find an XS650 cheap and ratty enough to make one.
See now you've done it. I've ideas forming for the next one. Know of a cheap XS anyone?

Mwahahahahaha

Big Devil
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baz i have some of this stuff if you wanted to tidy that front wiring up

http://www.techflex.com/prod_PET.asp
tony vtr
Can't make his 'kin mind up
Can't make his 'kin mind up

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking great barry!!

the next project flat tracker is also a great idea,and heres some food for thought!!you know you want it!! Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGfzbG2EpXE
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony vtr wrote:
looking great barry!!

the next project flat tracker is also a great idea,and heres some food for thought!!you know you want it!! Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGfzbG2EpXE

Weeeeeeeeeell, at least the tank is the right shape.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gis' a go Mr Smile

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what?.........Its finished, sort of. And guess what?........the fecker doesn't run! Just back fires. I think I fucked up the cam timing, ie, its 180 degrees out. Ho hum.

For sale. Kawasaki 440 chop/bobber. Lovely condition, loads of work done. Tax and test 'til feb 2012. Needs trailer to collect........... Crying or Very sad
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo hoo, it lives! What a fecking numpty. I put the timing advance unit back together arse about face. It threw the ignition timing 180 degrees out.

Refitted it and hit the starter. I nearly shat myself, loud isn't a big enough word to describe the sound that emits from the exhaust! Not a bike for my early morning rides. The neighbours will go apeshit if I fire it up at 5:30 in the morn.
Took it for a ride and a was pleasantly surprised. The hard tail doesn't jar your spine as much as you'd think. The big seat springs help. Goes round corners too, after a fashion. As long as the road isn't full of pot holes and lumps the rear stays pretty much in contact with the road. If it gets lumpy the rear wheel tends to skip a little.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with it. There are a few things that I am still thinking about changing, but thats me. Hers how it stands at the moment. I'm not going to be doing a massive amount to it. I'm gonna ride it to see if its a keeper or a seller. Do ypou think its been worth it? I'm in two minds at the mo....

I'm gonna bung this in the garage and take the 'storm for a spin. I've missed it.........
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
Do ypou think its been worth it? I'm in two minds at the mo....

Yes, yes I do. But what we think doesn't mean a thing, if you enjoyed doing it then your work was not in vain.
It's certainly an eye catcher.

Well done Baz. And don't put yourself down by saying it wasn't much, I'd love to have the skills to do something like that.

applause applause applause
summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:
BarryH wrote:
Do ypou think its been worth it? I'm in two minds at the mo....

Yes, yes I do. But what we think doesn't mean a thing, if you enjoyed doing it then your work was not in vain.
It's certainly an eye catcher.

Well done Baz. And don't put yourself down by saying it wasn't much, I'd love to have the skills to do something like that.

applause applause applause

Big +1 to that! Great work and show of skills Bazza!
applause applause
V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it and cant help but admire a bike with sweat & effort put into it Cool

BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy tinkering with things Jim. Most of it was enjoyable to do. Some bits have been a royal pain in the arse, but I'm a stubborn git and won't let things beat me.

Its kept me occupied for 3 weeks and on the whole been fun to do. I've ridden it a bit today and have had some positive comments. One from Roughies brother. I don't think he knew it was me. He chased me up the Ewell bypass and caught up at Tolworth.
Anyone could do something like this if they put their mind to it. Its just a case of if you want it you'll teach yourself or learn to do it.

I'll keep it for a while. If it still puts a grin on my face when I ride it then I'll keep it. If not I'll sell it on and let someone else enjoy it, if this sort of bike is their thing.
Lil Mush
Silent but violent
Silent but violent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss V wrote:
I like it and cant help but admire a bike with sweat & effort put into it Cool
Yep, yep, yep! Well done you! It's looking great Very Happy
Pedestrian
Pedestrian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: z400 Reply with quote

I hope you dont mind and alternative view and go on a rant at me,but your bike was parked at boxhill near my rat so had a look. Its not the tank thats wrong its the frame on a hardtail the top down tube comes down in a straight line from the headstock to the back wheel. Thats how its done its not your fault but when the conversion was done it was wrong ,anyway nice finish and clean job but spoilt by the frame.Dont be offended but been building bikes for 30+ years good luck with the ride.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Photographs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: