BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boxhill Bikers, Virgin London Triathlon. 30th July 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Events & runs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss V wrote:
Good Morning Boxhill

Yesterday 4 nervous team mates plus Waki (cool and calm as always)
Headed off with support crew of HCMS & Marky Mark tp Excel London

Waki even managed to park in excactly the same parking space as last year!

We headed into the centre and registered, collecting our timing chip and racking up the bikes before getting the important issue of coffees and light lunch!

Crazy Horse arrived, another cool as cucumber competitor

Support bikers arrived in form of Tusky & Biggus with the promise of sauage rolls for after the event Very Happy

KIS and I got into our wetsuits and start to limba up, few pics taken at this stage Rolling Eyes
So off to the swim assembly point for a pep talk and breifing, glad we had done some warm up as the breifing didnt get us moving much at all which I found a shame. Had to hug a stranger and wish them well.

Down the stairs for our 'wave', total teams 452 but approx 157 in our start which was great as meant not so many people fighting and swimming over each other around the bouys etc.

We had to tread water for about 10 minutes I think whilst waiting for every one to swim out to the start line, whilst there we all try to suss out which is the turnaround bouy and how far away it looks!! KIS and I stayed fairly far back from the start so not to get trampled.

Then we are off, I struggle at first with not swimming how I normally would ie front crawl with head in the water and taking breaths to the side, the water is green and at first I tried to swim with head up forward, not bad for short times but not good to do for long. Eventually I start to relax and get into the swim and try to do my normal front crawl stroke with head down.

For quite a while a chap was swimming close to my left side and brushing me with his arms and body, got past him but either he or someone else hit my leg as they swam and it felt like the timing chip on my ankle was dislodged and loose, just held on with velcro strap! Was very aware of it but decided not to stop and try to re do it as more likely to loose it.

The swim seemed much better this year and I enjoyed it a lot more than in the past, training with Tina was paying dividends.

The route was a big oblong and each turn bouy a welcome sight, the last section to the ramp out seemed to take forever! The strapping young men waiting to help us out of the water was lovely and strong Razz

Then you have to run through a light shower and up to the edge of the dock, removing your wetsuit is not so easy when your limbs are like jelly! Out of suit and then you have the long run up back into the hall and to the transition area! I was running along the dock after hearing the support team shouting encouragment Cool

Really hate running and when you are wearing a swimming cossie in front of so many people and trying to run it is not fun Laughing
Miss G was waiting at the end of the transition line to direct me in and along the racks to Waki, changed chip over to Waki and off he went on the cycle section Cool

Miss V wrote:
Results;

Total number of teams taking part; 452
Boxhill Bikers A; 157th in 1.39.07
Boxhill Bikers B; 266th in 1.49.23

Team that came first did it in 1.09!!!

There were a lot of teams that did not finish at all, so very very proud of you guys and how well we all did, so special to to be able to do something like this and raise funds for something close to many of our hearts! xx

Swim;
A; 19.07
B; 26.05
1st; 12.28

Cycle;
A; 42.46
B; 48.35
1st; 34.16

Run;
A; 30.34
B; 26.37
1st; 18.22

Fantastic results...... unless you are there, you can have no idea how tiring the day can be, I got back at 8:00pm and slept until 9:30am.... (unheard of) and I didn't even do it Embarrassed Laughing

Great times all round me thinks We're not worthy I guess they got posted on the Triathlon Website this morning, so thanks for doing the write up and letting us know so quickly Wink

Sponsorship total is fantastic.... so big pats on the back all round 2 Thumbs up

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Miss G
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say that was a brilliant day!

nerves were going ballistic from the moment I got up, managed to get to V's in time for a lovely coffee, and then loaded up into MM's car.

Adrenalin buzzed all morning, through lunch and registration, then the nail biting wait after V and KIS started swimming... here comes V!! one in, one out...same for KIS. after Waki went out for his ride there was nothing I could do other than hop from foot to foot with nerves. V went to watch for him coming in, then there he was!! timing chip off Waki, onto my ankle, and off I went.

The run out zone from the cycle racks felt endless, although it was probably only about 300metres, I had to remember not to sprint before I even crossed the first timing point! out onto the docks and into the sunshine, very grateful that V had lent me her sunnies for the run. A sea of unfamiliar faces watching as I was overtaken by many faster runners, wondering what I had been thinking when I volunteered, and mouth rapidly drying up from the heat... so I followed my trainer's advice and settled into my own rhythm, trying to ignore the faster runners. I usually run with an ipod, but this wasn't allowed (although I did see a few runners with them) so I couldn't use my normal tracks to set the beat!

Checked my watch at the 1km point and timing looked ok, so I just carried on the same; took a mouthful of water at the hydration point (have you ever tried drinking from a plastic cup whilst running..?! lol. neither had I until yesterday!). Out to the end of the dock and turned to head back, more water and through the welcome shower point which everyone went through as we ran. past the supporters tents - those guys were amazing, calling out support and urging everyone on, redoubling their efforts for anyone wearing their charities' shirts! - and back up the slope toward the building. Turned in and the noise was deafening, loads of cheering and commentary, make sure I kept to the left to go back out for the second lap... feeling a bit wooden at this point, but kept on and starting to feel a little bit cheered that I was passing some slower runners and others who had felt the need to walk - not schadenfreude but simply that I wasn't ready to give in yet! - and raised a smile and a wave when I saw Crazy Horse running the other way on the second half of his out lap. On again, more water, more walkers, legs felt like lead, but I set out with the sole aim of finishing without walking, so I kept on pushing. Past the final water station, wondering if it was too early to push for the finish (it would have been!) then the supporters again, and that long slope up...now time to push, and spotted Crazy Horse again as he went out for his second lap. Ran into the hall and searched for V and Waki, there they were, waiting for me at the team point. out they came, and we joined hands and ran the last 100m together with my legs like jelly and the pair of them egging me on! Heard the commentator call out for Boxhill Bikers, and up and over the finish with a huge grin!!

30:34 a very pleasing time, and much needed coffee and food afterwards. Especially love the photos from the Virgin Active booth!! Not sure that some of HCMS' will be so flattering!

Well done to everyone who took part, and to the really lovely peeps who rode up to support us too. Special thanks to V for her unfailingly solid organising (we wouldn't do it but for you!) and also for your unflappable support through the day, and for getting me there and back.

A brilliant day and evening. Can I run again next year please?!!

I’m impressed, I’ve never met such a small mind inside such a big head before.
southernspeed
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done to all, full of admiration and Waki, you sod, you didn't even break a sweat!! Laughing

Really good results, hopefully no ill effects from the green Thames water for the swimmers Shocked

Having watched it for the first time this year it makes me realise how tough it must be to compete as opposed to your training. You're not just up against your chosen discipline but also the nerves/adrenaline of doing it (I know that feeling from riding Enduros!), doing it infront of such a huge crowd but also having to battle with other competitors! (especially the swimmers it seemed)

Really well done to all Very Happy

www.carshaltonmcc.com
www.surreysportsmotorcycles.com
Baloo
Trials Rider
Trials Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up guys, and as others have said, a great result. 2 Thumbs up

Based on this, I have even lined up a team for next year with my brother and niece.

I have received a pm on my earlier post re a write up. To be clear it was not a dig at anyone.
"My own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, anyplace, anytime. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass"
Christopher Hitchens

You don't need a parachute to sky dive, only to sky dive twice.
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great day as always ! I think having Rana and Naomi there as first timers ( like Kate and Paul last year) helps me stay calm by making sure they're fully aware of the days events and what they need to do. Personally i start to feel nervous as soon as the swimmers start to arrive. One minute it's all calm.....warming up....getting helmet and riding gear ready.....idle chatter....then....DON'T PANIC !!!! People rushing about every where, swimmers, team mates leading them in, and the cyclists heading out.
There's Vanessa ! Quick change over, unrack the bike, run Rolling Eyes to 'bike out', then .......all is calm again. Shocked One thing about the bike leg is there are fewer spectators for the most part and you can concentrate on the ride. Sure i was past by a few riders but i did my share of passing also. My big error was not leaving myself enough to drink for the whole distance which meant i had to save some til the end.
After the second lap, it's a tight left turn, past our merry band of supporters Cheerleader , then up the steep ramp to the change over. After riding in bright sunshine, wearing shades, turning into the hall i couldn't see a thing at first Shocked And, as Miss G mentioned, the noise once again hits you. Spot Kate, then Vanessa leading me down to Naomi for a smooth change over before getting my breath back and cooling down.Vanessa and i then made our way down to the finish to join Naomi for the run across the line !

Pleased with the overall time and final position but slightly disapointed with my individual time as i wanted to be sub 40 min's. However, over the past three years my overall times have been within 3 min's Wink maybe, just maybe, i'll have to try and go faster another time Smile

Once again, many, many thanks to everyone who supported us this year Thumbs up and to my fellow team mates for making this such an enjoyable event ! Mexican wave
Athos
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it's a well done from him Very Happy seriously peeps i send my congrats to you all,especially ch for being so brave showing hie legs in public Very Happy
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will post up my pics when i have had a change to go though them. HCMS took about 50 of the swimmers on the start line, not sure which of the 200 red swimming hats were Miss V & KIS Laughing

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done all, and sounds like you all had a good day. The atmosphere comes through in your reports, so I really must get there in person one year to savour it.

I know what you all mean about the nerves at the start! When I was competing I used to really, really hate waiting around before the "off". I used to use more energy up in the 15 minutes before the start than I did in the race. Maybe that was why I was so crap Crying or Very sad .

Once again well done applause .
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more to come Razz

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Biggus, I am most impressed that we lined up for that pic in alternate colours! Thank you once again for the tee shirts x

Miss G
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss V wrote:
Cheers Biggus, I am most impressed that we lined up for that pic in alternate colours! Thank you once again for the tee shirts x

+1 Cool

I’m impressed, I’ve never met such a small mind inside such a big head before.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love em 2 Thumbs up

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too 2 Thumbs up
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CH ......... Is that the only thing you have thats the size of a Donkeys ... Shocked Laughing
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellooo!!

Blimey, LOTS of orange helmets!!!! Shocked

I have not been on here in AGES!! Firstly, let me explain why....

I am in the final 2 weeks of my 3 years training to become a Paramedic. I SHOULD have been qualified in late May but due to a minor 'setback' I am still studying......

....and it's a living hell!

For example, I have exactly 9 days left of my course, and I have 7 exams in those 9 days....

Therefore, I have been pretty quiet on the posting front and have not joined the others in gathering as much sponsorship and rallying round to raise support.

My Triathlon Experience.....

I struggled A LOT at my swim, I have been swimming just once since last year's tri Blush

I felt ok when we arrived at the Excel, it's such an amazing atmosphere and I was quite looking forward to it at first....

Once we were in the water, however, off raced V and I was left-somewhere near the back-paddling away at my breaststroke!!

I was pretty disappointed with myself and my performance, it all got a bit emotional!!

I DID finish though, I wasn't quite last and I was able to proudly join my team in the run across the finish line!!

Both teams did an amazing thing and we have raised a lot of money for Cancer Research UK.

So I would just like to thank everyone for their sponsorship, support and encouragement and excuse myself for maybe not seeming to join in with the rallying...

Special thanks to V, Rana, Martin, Paul and Naomi for being great team mates!!

Thanks to Duncan for riding up to support us and a MASSIVE thanks for the last-minute t-shirt save!!

Also thanks and Hug to Jeremy and Juliette for their continued kind words and support through this exhausting and stressful time.

And finally..... (nearly finished!!) to Peter for just being awesome and super and my rock.

That's ROCK
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Treat every stressful situation as if you were a dog: if you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away"

"Friendship is like peeing yourself...everyone can see it but only you can feel the true warmth it brings!"
SkinnyHulk
"Brokeback"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL DONE EVERYONE We're Not Worthy

[/url]
Nursieboy
Cyclist
Cyclist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done guys, applause And KIS you took part and should be proud of just that,
A Charity close to many hearts, Well done again all of you.
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official photographs now available. Cool
'A' Team
http://www.sportcam.net/CompetitorImage.aspx?ID=12454&General=No
'B' Team
http://www.sportcam.net/CompetitorImage.aspx?ID=12416&General=No
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, great to see our sponsorship total is still rising....and i have more to come !!! Cool

Highlights from last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KITeb96nEdE
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coverage on C4 now and on C4I'm too lazy to add an intellegent comment, but I agree at 8:05am today.... Very Happy

NOW THAT"S JUST WEIRD !!! Question

I didn't put in the "I'm too lazy to add an intellegent comment, but I agree" sentence, the forum has added those words itself Confused gone back to edit many times and it does not show those words and then when I press submit they come up on the post each time... very odd Confused

So what I was trying to say was....

Coverage on C4 now and on C4I'm too lazy to add an intellegent comment, but I agree at 8:05am today.... Very Happy

Nope.... fcuk fcuk fcuk.... it's done it again Against a brick wall Shifty Nuts

I give up....

nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because whenever you use the words "intelligent comment", the forum cannot compute it, generates an error code and reverts back to the default setting of repeating whatever you posted before. Since you posted "intelligent comment" before, the system enters an endless loop. Laughing
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
It's because whenever you use the words "intelligent comment", the forum cannot compute it, generates an error code and reverts back to the default setting of repeating whatever you posted before. Since you posted "intelligent comment" before, the system enters an endless loop. Laughing

OK i'll try again using your theory Speccy

This is going to be a really thick and dumb sentence informing you about the Triathlon being on TV and it is entirely pointless !!!

"Coverage on C4 now and on C4+I at 8:05am" today....

Yey its worked... shame it's finished now though Rolling Eyes Laughing

moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think all the money is in now.......and our TOTAL (incl gift aid) is.....

Cheerleader £1,481.25p Cheerleader

Mexican wave Mexican wave

A really BIG Thank You to everyone that sponsored Team Boxhill Bikers. Thumbs up We really appreciate your support and generosity in helping us raise this fantastic total for Cancer Research UK.
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done you guys. Giving money is the easy part, but well done all you sponsors as well. applause
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Events & runs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: