BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Things That Have P#@*ed Me Off Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1068, 1069, 1070 ... 1102, 1103, 1104  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ_DJ wrote:
Nuclear Red wrote:
Wearing a Poppy is not a political act it shows respect to the war dead.

In my opinion they should be worn if the player wants and FIFA can go to hell.

If they fine us then we pay the money to the British Legion.

Would you feel the same if the Germans or Iraqi teams wanted to wear something similar in memory of their war dead!!
Don't get me wrong I have nothing against wearing poppys but I'm not sure another country who we lost people too would see it the same way.
Time and a place for eveything, and an international sports arena is not it.

All creeds and colour have fought in wars; we are on a slippery sloppe if we start to incite that the poppy is a racist emblem. It is to remember all those who have fallen fighting for our freedom, end of.
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:
Nuclear Red wrote:

Would you feel the same if the Germans or Iraqi teams wanted to wear something similar in memory of their war dead!!
Don't get me wrong I have nothing against wearing poppys but I'm not sure another country who we lost people too would see it the same way.

All creeds and colour have fought in wars; we are on a slippery sloppe if we start to incite that the poppy is a racist emblem. It is to remember all those who have fallen fighting for our freedom, end of.

Yes fighting for OUR freedom, somehow I don't think the Germans were fighting for our freedom!.
Some people may see it that way and unfortuantly in this PC gone mad world you have to pussy foot around these things. Christ there was some woman up in arms because the local pound shop was selling a sinister black, childs wig for halloween. Only the package didn't have a coma so she was kicking up a fuss saying the makers were making out it was a sinister black child. It got better she also complained the white ghost type outfit looked like the KKK's.

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

You're Never Alone With Schizophrenia
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:
Nuclear Red wrote:

In this case it's for over-paid twats to make them look like better people. As I said before, so far as I am aware, in all the years of the poppy emblem, I cannot recall hearing of an England or Wales football team wearing them on a rememberance Sunday fixture (I may be wrong)... so why now? Well the poppy is now de rigueur for persons in the media limelight, the poppy appeal this year is apparently set to be the biggest yet, which is no bad thing of course, footballers as media "icons" raising awareness is no bad thing, however, their reasons for "wanting" to do it are more than likely for their own image gain, not that of the British Legion (although they will of course gain from this publicity stunt)

BTW... PJ, it was on news this morning that Ze Germans(presumably meaning their national team) support the England team wearing them.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Taz wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:
Nuclear Red wrote:

In this case it's for over-paid twats to make them look like better people. As I said before, so far as I am aware, in all the years of the poppy emblem, I cannot recall hearing of an England or Wales football team wearing them on a rememberance Sunday fixture (I may be wrong)... so why now? Well the poppy is now de rigueur for persons in the media limelight, the poppy appeal this year is apparently set to be the biggest yet, which is no bad thing of course, footballers as media "icons" raising awareness is no bad thing, however, their reasons for "wanting" to do it are more than likely for their own image gain, not that of the British Legion (although they will of course gain from this publicity stunt)

BTW... PJ, it was on news this morning that Ze Germans(presumably meaning their national team) support the England team wearing them.

Thats good to know. I'm not against it, just think it should be something recognised within this country only.

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ_DJ wrote:
just think it should be something recognised within this country only.

Agreed, & I also concur with your earlier statement that the international sports arena is not the right place for it. Had it been an England/Wales game then, it would have been entirely appropriate. I am not disrespecting the war dead past, present, just saying it's not the right place for a symbol of war/freedom/sacrifice, which are the results of events that were ostensibly "political" in origin. "Patriotism" is shown at international sporting events by the singing of the participating countries national anthem's.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Taz wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:
Nuclear Red wrote:

I agree they are overpaid twats but I disagree they are trying to make themselves look "better people" by wearing them. You are using your lothing of the game to justify your argument. As for keeping it in this country, Poppy wearing never even originated in this country for those bothering to research it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6133312.stm
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
biggus wrote:
Taz wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:
Nuclear Red wrote:

I agree they are overpaid twats but I disagree they are trying to make themselves look "better people" by wearing them. You are using your lothing of the game to justify your argument. As for keeping it in this country, Poppy wearing never even originated in this country for those bothering to research it.

I never said it originated in Britain did I? However, the symbol as we know it today and as proposed to be part of the England/Wales football strip is the symbol of the British Legion.

As previously stated, in the 80 odd years of the Legion Poppy appeal, I'm not aware of any international football fixture where poppy's have been worn, therefore regardless of how I feel about the "beautiful game" it's pretty plain to see that after 80 odd years for this to all of a sudden seem to be important in this arena is a bit of a publicity coup. I would be saying this also if it were Rugby, Cricket, or any other international fixture also Peace

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Taz wrote:
biggus wrote:
Taz wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:
Nuclear Red wrote:

I never said it originated in Britain did I? However, the symbol as we know it today and as proposed to be part of the England/Wales football strip is the symbol of the British Legion.

As previously stated, in the 80 odd years of the Legion Poppy appeal, I'm not aware of any international football fixture where poppy's have been worn, therefore regardless of how I feel about the "beautiful game" it's pretty plain to see that after 80 odd years for this to all of a sudden seem to be important in this arena is a bit of a publicity coup. I would be saying this also if it were Rugby, Cricket, or any other international fixture also Peace

And why shouldn't things "change" just because it hasn't happened for 80 odd years means it can't happen now? I agree it should apply to all sport why not? Do we have to be embarrassed by our past and sucker up to the PC brigade? Had those who fell had not, we wouldn't be sitting here typing this now, people forget that freedom is not "free" The starting of the Poppy wearing was aimed at the other yob, I CBA to quote it Razz
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the (valid) point is that Poppy's signify war dead. However righteous we are, it does not make us always right (we refering to us, as in GB/UK etc etc). Any war related banner or badge will be contentious regardless of it's intended meaning. The confederate flag in the USA is considered by many to be a symbol of rascism (in spite of slavery being a separate issue to the issues that were fought about in the American civil war...), those in the South proudly fly it as a symbol of their heritage(bit like the Cornish flag.... draw your own conclusions as to similarities between West Country folk and those in the deep South... brb... just going to tune my banjo...)

In a similar vain, there has been contention over the flying of the Red Arrows at the Olympics and even posters for the Olympics have been Doctored to remove HMS Belfast for example...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2059345/London-2012-Olympics-poster-HMS-Belfast-removed-image.html

Regardless of the PC lunacy of some of these things, worldwide sporting events are no place for the celebration of, memory of, or any other reference to war or conflict. Just my opinion like.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the 'Like' Button lol

And yeah your right about the old 'dukes of hazard' flag, our old drummer had one he used to drape over his drum kit, I didn't think it was a good idea and as it happened caused some problem at a gig at a bar in Croydon where I got labeled racist by association, despite the black doorman being one of my oldest mates Confused

firestorm
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it seems that after all the fall out from the above argument FIFA have backed down and Poppies will be worn on Saturday..
Athos
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

says on the tin THOSE who never return
i thought buying a poppy was to help ex-servicemen and families to get on with their lives Confused
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firestorm wrote:
well it seems that after all the fall out from the above argument FIFA have backed down and Poppies will be worn on Saturday..

It's only a partial back down as they are still not allowed to wear them on their shirts, as the game is of no interest to me, I've only just twigged that it's on Saturday, not Sunday anyway Confused I don't know . I'd perhaps be more sympathetic if the game was on rememberance Sunday.

The moment that Cameron got involved, the poppy became a polictical symbol. I wonder if the future French will want to wear commerative sashes on Bastille day? or the North Koreans wearing badges honouring their former dictators. Sport should always be non denominational, non political & non racial- I do absolutley 100% support the Poppy appeal, but I also respect the stance of fifa to try and keep Nationalist/Political/War symbols off the pitch.

The fact that EDL jumped on the band wagon says a lot too...

I'm not being self righteous, I just have an opinion, to which I am entitled. There are far bigger things to concern us in this country and Europe than what is essentially a petty squabble over poppy's, Cameron must be really happy... what a distraction from reality this publicity stunt is, that's one week out of 52 that the heat is off him and he gets to be the "good guy", a politicians wet dream.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WPMOT. Being undermined Sad

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

CuseCuse
King of the Nerds
King of the Nerds

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athos wrote:
Confused

says on the tin THOSE who never return
i thought buying a poppy was to help ex-servicemen and families to get on with their lives Confused

its to help in any way anyone who is currently or have previously served in any conflict, this support extends to family members and dependants with their individual needs. The Poppy Appeal is to raise money for this cause and also to raise awareness for the legion, the services and their families, which is why some of the messages used are about those who dont return.

Todays top tip - Dont make assumptions about what you dont know
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......Not being able to give the Tuono a run out on what is another glorious biking day. Evil or Very Mad
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moriwaki wrote:
......Not being able to give the Tuono a run out on what is another glorious biking day. Evil or Very Mad

Is it still fooked ...... Sad

Went to Box ...... nobody from the forum about, on as you say a glorious biking day .... Rolling Eyes
bacon© Lil Mush
bacon© Lil Mush

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most users ever online was 161 on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:29 pm

Only person online at 4.52am 1, Me Sad

Trying to get back into nights Rolling Eyes

WooHoo, feck you job centre...I'm offski?

"One man can't make a riot, a one man riot is a tantrum"!

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli
andi
Polishes his nuts
Polishes his nuts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A four figure insurance premium on the 106. After excess looking at getting £170 back at best as its a write off. Least the boy is OK!
Trials Rider
Trials Rider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting my hair cut and coming our looking like the lead from Eraserhead.

Also discovering that Bob is no good as a guard dog, he keeps letting everyone in. He must be a Border Collie. Wink
"My own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, anyplace, anytime. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass"
Christopher Hitchens

You don't need a parachute to sky dive, only to sky dive twice.
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Express - took unauthorised payment from my credit card for insurance - now have to wait 1 month to get refunded!!

Admiral insurance - after 1 week of waiting on refund from terminated policy it has not been actioned

Cunch of bunts!!!!
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WPMOT. W@nkers who screw me on price because they say they need no support in their complicated application, and then want free support, when as predicted they can't make it work... "f*ck off". Against a brick wall

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

bumble
Drag Racer
Drag Racer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jelous bitches Evil or Very Mad
Baloo
Trials Rider
Trials Rider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£935 in airport taxes for two flights next year. Absolutely criminal.
"My own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, anyplace, anytime. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass"
Christopher Hitchens

You don't need a parachute to sky dive, only to sky dive twice.
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baloo wrote:
£935 in airport taxes for two flights next year. Absolutely criminal.

Well if you will insist on flying from HERE what do you expect? Wink

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1068, 1069, 1070 ... 1102, 1103, 1104  Next
Page 1069 of 1104

Jump to: