BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum
 
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flip lid

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Flip lid Reply with quote

Thinking of getting one of these... the variation of price is as wide as any other type of lid. From 30 - 500+. My preference would be for Schuberth or Shoei as I have/had these before, but would consider others also...

Has anyone got one?

Would you recommend your one?

Good points/bad points?

Links to vendors/good offers?

Ta muchly.

I'd bee looking to get a plain coloured one white/silver or black
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer


Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 3995
Location: As far away from reality as possible

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate has had a Schuberth quite a while and has had no issues
_________________
"Deja Moo" the feeling you have heard this Bullshit before
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
A mate has had a Schuberth quite a while and has had no issues


The only issue I have is with the 400+ price tag of that and the Shoei. I really liked my S1 until I headbutted the road with it Embarrassed
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 3352
Location: 48.066895,12.862673

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOOOOO you'll be on the slippery slope Laughing

Bike intercoms next?
_________________
"Those who understand compound interest are destined to collect it.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjabob wrote:
Bike intercoms next?


mmmmmm curly wires... yum... Laughing
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Caberg trip for a while. Noisy as hell! Ended up getting rid after a few months.

EDIT: in hindsight I realise this was the kind of typically moronic and unhelpful statement that is all too common on Internet forums Laughing


Last edited by nosnowking on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
I had the Caberg trip for a while. Noisy as hell! Ended up getting rid after a few months.


thanks. i was considering caberg too... was it noisy at all speeds or just 60+?
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit


Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 2987
Location: Bletchingley, Surrey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a Nolan myself and have to say that I'm not overly impressed with it.

Noisy even at low speeds (but then all Flip up Lids tend to be Noisier than full face)

One of the selling points was the internal sun visor that can be lowered / raised while riding but I quickly found that 1) it steamed up very quickly when it was down and had a tendancy to drop over my eyes of its own accord. Scary when riding at night.

Always regretted not getting the Shoei MultiTech and Won't be getting another Nolan again.
_________________
Opinions are like assholes...... Ahhh Fcuk it - YOUR WRONG !!!

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
nosnowking wrote:
I had the Caberg trip for a while. Noisy as hell! Ended up getting rid after a few months.


thanks. i was considering caberg too... was it noisy at all speeds or just 60+?


Yep, noisy at anything above walking pace. Unless they have changed the design, there is no padding around the ears, just a hole that leads directly to the exterior of the helmet. Presumably this makes it easier to fit intercoms and things into the helmet.

However, some people swear by them. I don't know if infinity are still running their 7 day return policy on lids. Might be something to consider?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boudicas wrote:
Always regretted not getting the Shoei MultiTech and Won't be getting another Nolan again.


This looking more like a 3-400 purchase. Confused
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
biggus wrote:
nosnowking wrote:
I had the Caberg trip for a while. Noisy as hell! Ended up getting rid after a few months.


thanks. i was considering caberg too... was it noisy at all speeds or just 60+?


Yep, noisy at anything above walking pace. Unless they have changed the design, there is no padding around the ears, just a hole that leads directly to the exterior of the helmet. Presumably this makes it easier to fit intercoms and things into the helmet.

However, some people swear by them. I don't know if infinity are still running their 7 day return policy on lids. Might be something to consider?


Useful info. Thanks Smile
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Simon Smith
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider


Joined: 16 May 2011
Posts: 162
Location: Oxted

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Caberg Konda, it's no more noisy than my Shoei Multitech and has the built in sun visor which is the main reason for buying it.

As for places to buy I would recommend Helmet City in Tatsfield, the price you will pay in-store will be 10% less than their website. They also have a very good selection. Though my main reason for using them is the shop is only half a mile from home Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3


Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Posts: 14655

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size is your bonce Duncan?

I have a Schuberth C2 and a C3 you can try
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wivvy's dad wrote:
What size is your bonce Duncan?

I have a Schuberth C2 and a C3 you can try


Am a large in Shoei, which is 59-60cm/23 1/4 - 23 5/8, can't recall the size of my old Schuberth S1
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3


Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Posts: 14655

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C2 is 58-59, and the C3 is 56-57.

But you're welcome to try 'em
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1stGarry
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer


Joined: 23 Jul 2004
Posts: 2533
Location: bottom of England (well Worthing actually)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Caeberg (Trip, I think it is).
Best fitting helmet I've ever had, but that doesn't mean it'll be as good for you.
Not noticed it to be noisy, but then, I don't know what a quiet helmet sounds like!
Liked it so much that when I scrapped it after an 'off' I replaced it with the same.
Easy to use, built in sun visor, cheap as chips Very Happy

I also have a Roof Boxer, but hardly ever use it. It wins in the cool looks department, but isn't so comfy or easy to use, and doesn't have a sun visor.
_________________
Adventure before dementia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wivvy's dad wrote:
The C2 is 58-59, and the C3 is 56-57.

But you're welcome to try 'em


2 Thumbs up will text you to see when you're about Very Happy
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3


Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Posts: 14655

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Thumbs up
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally have just received an email from Busters who have a flip lid on offer from Duchinni, the D619 IIRC. 4 stars in the SHARP ratings and 49, might be worth a look if youre not totally convinced and don't want to shell out too much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1


Joined: 25 Jun 2004
Posts: 7579

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a beard and pipe to wear one of those. Mate, you are turning into an "old git" before your time....

Be more like wivvy and cling to your youth in desperation by buying a litre sports bike.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wivvy
GrandCnut
GrandCnut


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 10928

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
Need a beard and pipe to wear one of those. Mate, you are turning into an "old git" before your time....

Be more like wivvy and cling to your youth in desperation by buying a litre sports bike.


Shocked

Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
Be more like wivvy and cling to your youth.

Wasn't holding on very tight was he?
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter


Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 3988
Location: .........in another world !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last couple of years of my riding on the blandit I had a black lid that was the V can (V210) which was bluetooth 1. This lid had built in bluetooth 1, which I think has been replaced by the newer version. It was great to use as the battery and equipment was built into the lid, just plug in the charger when low. You could answer the phone by pressing the button on the side of the lid or it answered automatically after 3 seconds. Volume adjusted by turning the large button. This helmet had a built in flip dark visor (the only one that didn't hit my glasses, as I tried all the models at the time). Using flip helmets, you don't need to remove your glasses to put the helmet on. The only 2 downsides were that it was heavy compared to ordinary helmets and it is more noisy.
_________________
It's all down to quality of life !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos


Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 3179
Location: Da Cronx

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at one of These the other day, I really want one but I'm not really in need of a new lid, but still very tempted Confused
_________________
Anything you say may be taken down and used as evidence in a court of law, or boxhill forum!!

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

You're Never Alone With Schizophrenia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group