BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travel Insurance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Travel Insurance Reply with quote

I've been contacted a couple of times recently regarding Travel Insurance after Matt posted that I had done a bit of research into it. I think the word 'research' is a bit strong, all I did was shop around abit to find myself a good deal. But, anyone who knows me knows that i'm tighter than a spandex clad Vanessa Feltz when it comes to buying things from companies and I always try to sniff out a good deal or a decent discount.

Firstly, you need to decide or gaze into your crystal ball and try to predict how many times you are going to go away and where you are going to go during the year. Remember that overnight trips in the UK count as well. If it's going to be more than once then the chances are an annual policy is the way forward rather than a single trip policy. If are are not venturing further than Europe then stick to a European policy rather than Worldwide.

Get youself an EHIC card https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do This is basically a European national health insurance card. Most countries have an NHS of some type and this card intitles you to use there health care free of charge. The card is free. It also bags you a discount on your travel insurance.

Do you need a family, couple or individual policy. Going to Eurodisney earlier in the year a family policy was the way forward for me, but i did check that as the policyholder it covers me to go away on my own as well. And, yes it does.

What i did was a search on http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travelinsurance/ to give me an idea.

Now, this is where the problem starts, you can tick a 'winter sports' option, but, there is no 'motorcycle tour' option. Some companies will cover you on a bike tour, others won't. So, although it listed cheapest policy first, it's not on a level playing field.

I basically ignored the first few cheapest policies it gave me, purely because I had never heard of them. If the worst happens and I need to make a claim, possibly for thousands, i want a company that i have heard of before. A company like 'Top Dog Insurance' doesn't float my boat, i've never heard of them and for all I know they could work out of one office above a shop and have never paid out anything in there life.

Scroling down and for only a couple of pounds extra I came across 'American Express Travel Insurance'. Yeap, that will do. A quick phone call was made just to confirm motorcycling touring was OK, which it was. There was however two exemptions to this:
1) I not allowed to go offroad - so all you Massey Ferguson GS Ewan Mcgregor wannabies may need to look somewhere else
2) I must wear protective clothing
https://www.etravel.americanexpress.com/auth/servlet/FrontServlet?request_type=landing&

My Annual, Multi Trip, European, Family (of 4) policy with them cost me £42.75.......bargain!!!!

This allows me 93 days per year. If you wanted more it costs a bit extra. BUT, i do not need to inform them each time I go.
Are you thinking what i'm thinking???
I asked the question "If I don't need to tell you each time I go away how do you know that I haven't gone over the 93 days". The answer was "We don't, we just do it on trust"

One thing to remember, most companies offer a discount for doing it online. But, as I said, you need to ring and check motorcycle tours are covered. Tell them on the phone that you have done an internet quote and you want that discount, they will probably give it to you, if they don't go online and do it. Can be 5-10% discount.

One word of warning, if you take out a single trip policy for a trip in, lets say 12th-20th August. The cover will start on the day you take out the policy. So if for whatever reason you had to cancel on 16th July no problem.

If, however, you took a muilt trip policy with you first trip being 12th-20th August and you commenced the policy on 12th August. If you needed to cancel on the 16th July YOU WILL NOT BE COVERED. start the policy sooner than the start date of you first trip.

Hope this helps Smile

(and sorry 'top dog insurance', i'm sure your a mighty fine company Laughing )
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good write up mouse ...well done my good buddy Cool
V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, will need to get soon so that will be big help Very Happy

Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss V wrote:
Thanks for that, will need to get soon so that will be big help Very Happy

Wot I was thinking two ...thx mouse
Dancing tree frog!
Dancing tree frog!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause top job mate
The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to say.

With credit card travel insurance more often than not it’s only travel accident insurance, which only covers accidents had while in a train, plane or hire car PAID FOR ON THE CARD, so never think this means you're covered on your bike.

Some cards or bank accounts do genuinely offer free travel insurance, though the cover is normally the bare minimum. And usually you must pay the cost of the holiday on the card or it won't cover you. ALWAYS CHECK THE SMALL PRINT, OR GIVE THEM A CALL.

Basically be wary of 'free' bank or card travel insurance.
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup nice write up Martyn Very Happy

In my vast experience of skiing mishaps Embarrassed hospitals prefer to have the EHIC in the first instance.... little luxuries like helicopter rides come out of your insurance but they will try and stick it on your credit card when you land. Last time I needed one, it cost £1500.00 but I got it back from the insurance company in 5 working days.

I use year long winter travel insurance to cover me for biking trips in the summer as it is geared up to equipment losses etc.

Switzerland also has an EHIC agreement with the UK, even though they are not EEC members.

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
redrat
Dirty old man
Dirty old man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mouse - checked my small print in my Alliance & Leicester FREE Annual Travel Insurance to read under Hazardous Activities that riding a motorcycle up to 125cc was covered !! SO I RANG CUSTOMER SERVICES TO BE TOLD THIS WAS FOR BIKE HIRE. Thankfully it was confirmed riding MY motorcycle with relevant licence was covered. Just pays to confirm by telephone for peace of mind Rolling Eyes Sadly, the older you get the more it costs so the American Express quote for me alone was £80 - so you got a bargain Sad
GT
Expert CnutCnut
Expert CnutCnut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redrat wrote:
Thanks Mouse - checked my small print in my Alliance & Leicester FREE Annual Travel Insurance to read under Hazardous Activities that riding a motorcycle up to 125cc was covered !! SO I RANG CUSTOMER SERVICES TO BE TOLD THIS WAS FOR BIKE HIRE. Thankfully it was confirmed riding MY motorcycle with relevant licence was covered. Just pays to confirm by telephone for peace of mind Rolling Eyes Sadly, the older you get the more it costs so the American Express quote for me alone was £80 - so you got a bargain Sad
old Pan rider Laughing

(\__/)
(='.'=)
The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redrat wrote:
American Express quote for me alone was £80

Shocked Ouch
redrat
Dirty old man
Dirty old man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's OK as I understand pension contributions go in the front door and out the back - exactly where I park my bike Very Happy
GT
Expert CnutCnut
Expert CnutCnut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redrat wrote:
That's OK as I understand pension contributions go in the front door and out the back - exactly where I park my bike Very Happy
Laughing Nice to see my contribution is giving you such enjoyment!!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
Athos
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matttherat wrote:
redrat wrote:
Laughing Nice to see my contribution is giving you such enjoyment!!
don't forget he's given you the best part of 50 years fathering you Very Happy
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Amex insurance here Thumbs up

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the general consencesus still AMEX and Post Office for Yearly Europe travel + Motorbike over 125cc + Skiing?

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tusky wrote:
Is the general consencesus still AMEX and Post Office for Yearly Europe travel + Motorbike over 125cc + Skiing?

TBH, dunno, i've stayed with AMEX for a while now. Good cover at good prices. BUT, i've been very lucky and i've never had to claim. That's the only time you will truly know how good a company is.

I've noticed that when collecting insurance details for people going on my trips that the Post Office is definately the second favorite choice, AMEX being the first.

I don't think you will go far wrong with either of them
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mouse wrote:
Tusky wrote:

TBH, dunno, i've stayed with AMEX for a while now. Good cover at good prices. BUT, i've been very lucky and i've never had to claim. That's the only time you will truly know how good a company is.

I've noticed that when collecting insurance details for people going on my trips that the Post Office is definately the second favorite choice, AMEX being the first.

I don't think you will go far wrong with either of them

Aye.... and thanks Very Happy

Time to check the small print I think Wink

moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**BUMP** Smile

Sorted out my travel insurance for my trip in September. Worldwide cover, exc USA & Canada, with Morocco as main destination and additional premium for motorcycle adventure travel Cool . Cost....£66 for the 'Super' cover. Happy with that as another quote came in at £240 !

http://www.worldwideinsure.com/

Having trouble with European breakdown cover though. Most cover bikes up to 10/12 years old......mine's 22 !!!
Any suggestions greatly received.
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moriwaki wrote:
**BUMP** Smile

Sorted out my travel insurance for my trip in September. Worldwide cover, exc USA & Canada, with Morocco as main destination and additional premium for motorcycle adventure travel Cool . Cost....£66 for the 'Super' cover. Happy with that as another quote came in at £240 !

http://www.worldwideinsure.com/

Having trouble with European breakdown cover though. Most cover bikes up to 10/12 years old......mine's 22 !!!
Any suggestions greatly received.

Good job it is bike breakdown cover of 22 yrs for the bike, I would hate to think what Moriwaki breakdown cover would be given your age Shocked

Thanks for the heads up.... Great VFM Wink

moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still searching for european breakdown cover for the KLR. Best to date is £82....and that still won't cover me in Morocco. Rolling Eyes . It's an age thing....bike not me ! Sad
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moriwaki wrote:
Still searching for european breakdown cover for the KLR. Best to date is £82....and that still won't cover me in Morocco. Rolling Eyes . It's an age thing....bike not me ! Sad

The age limit I thought just meant an increased excess? Not sure about cover for Morrocco though Confused

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moriwaki wrote:

Just went to France 3 days cover with Aviva was £17
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
The age limit I thought just meant an increased excess? Not sure about cover for Morrocco though Confused

Most of the companies i tried for breakdown cover had a cut off age limit of between 10 to 12 years.

Taz wrote:
Just went to France 3 days cover with Aviva was £17

I'll spend, each way, 12 hours in France and 2 days driving through Spain....perhaps i should take out two 3-day policies. Wink

Last edited by moriwaki on Mon May 21, 2012 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moriwaki wrote:

Have you tried ADAC, the German company.

Ring Barbara Lorenz on 0049 941 55673.
She speaks perfect English and is a pleasure to deal with. She'll be happy to help with any queries.

Last edited by wivvy's dad on Mon May 21, 2012 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Touring All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: