BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fork Oil and Springs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Fork Oil and Springs Reply with quote

Hi All,

Im toying witht he idea of replacing the fork springs and fork oil on my CB1300 but dont know if this will be a big job or not.

Anyone know if a DIY mechanic (a novis like me) will be able to handle this on my ownsome?

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piece of piss as long as you have something accurate to measure the fork oil back in with. Big syringe is my favourite.
Drain it out at the bottom, slide old spring out of top drop new one in refill. Job done. Was think about stick some progressive fork srpings in mine, used to have them in an old GPZ900, they were good. Cool

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

You're Never Alone With Schizophrenia
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do it removing the fork legs, (which is generally can be less of a faff than trying to syringe the old it out), it'll be a whole lot easier with something like an Abbastand (I have one with CB1300 adapters but PJ_DJ has it at the moment). Put a trolley jack under the pipes (protected with a piece of wood. then a couple of axle stands, one each side under the frame rails.

OR.... If you want to be even more stable you can put the back on a paddock stand... then pass a scaffold tube through the rear wheel under the swing arm and put one end on an axle stand. then lift the other end onto another stand... solid as a rock Cool

Tips.

Slacken the top cap nuts whilst the forks are still on the bike - a lot easier than once fork legs are removed and you try and grip the chrome stancion

will dig out pics of when I had my forks out...

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the CB1300 have a drain hole in the bottom of the legs?

can't say I've done it on this bike but all the others I've done have Confused

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

You're Never Alone With Schizophrenia
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ_DJ wrote:
Doesn't the CB1300 have a drain hole in the bottom of the legs?

No... unless you remove the damper screw at the bottom, which means front wheel out and generally they won't shift unless you compress the fork a bit.

Easiest on these (in my experience) to whip the forks out, take top cap off and tip them out and pump them a bit, then leave em inverted draining while you have a cuppa before refilling with fresh oil

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:

Yikes. Taking the forks off is exactly what I was hoping to avoid. Ahh well; looks like things are staying the way they are ( or possibly SSS is gonna get some business gong his way.

Thanks all

Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boudicas wrote:
biggus wrote:

Yikes. Taking the forks off is exactly what I was hoping to avoid. Ahh well; looks like things are staying the way they are ( or possibly SSS is gonna get some business gong his way.

Thanks all

or ....ask someone in the know to (not do it for you) supervise you and learn something new Wink
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to the conclusion that Southernspeeds rates are so reasonable its not woth getting the hands dirty.

I gave mark the VTR for a srvice/MoT and new tyres plus fork oil etc etc. The cost wasn't worth getting my tools out for, especially when you consider the tyres were over half the cost. Its a no brainer really, especially if you've limited spare time.
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that Southernspeeds rates are so reasonable its not woth getting the hands dirty.

I gave mark the VTR for a srvice/MoT and new tyres plus fork oil etc etc. The cost wasn't worth getting my tools out for, especially when you consider the tyres were over half the cost. Its a no brainer really, especially if you've limited spare time.

TBH Barry that's exactly what I had decided to do: Until today that is....

I liked the CB1300 and cant fault it as a bike. Me as a rider howver is a different story. I just never felt comfortable on it.

So I've traded it today and gone back tot he CBF1000 - My first love Smile

Bacon
bacon© Lil Mush
bacon© Lil Mush

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So instead of doing the fork oil and springs, you buy 2 new bikes....classic! Laughing rolling on the floor laughing

WooHoo, feck you job centre...I'm offski?

"One man can't make a riot, a one man riot is a tantrum"!

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: