BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A2 license – what do I do after 2 years?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
apatia77
Pedestrian
Pedestrian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: A2 license – what do I do after 2 years? Reply with quote

As above, do I need to send my license back to DVLA or do I just use it with my unrestricted bike? Also If I do send it back to DVLA when I get it back will it show that I passed my test 2 years ago and that I have had my full license for 2 years already (mainly for insurance purposes)?
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread about this very question recently here: http://www.boxhill.co.uk/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26438

Annoyingly, it seems like there's an anomoly in the system/insurance here... since... let's say you did 33bhp test & rode around on a 33bhp restricted bike for 2 years... the restriction is now lifted... if you insure the same bike even if it's still 33bhp restricted it looks as if you have to, from my understanding say you've only just passed your test... As with all insurance stuff, best to talk it through with them as I'm sure they get it all the time.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, as biggus correctly points out, have a chat with your insurance company. Be aware that the DVLA may well charge you a fee to have your licence upgraded to show your new entitlement.

If you do upgrade your licence, the paper counterpart will show your previous (A2) entitlement but the photo card will only show your full (A) entitlement from the date your restriction was lifted. For clarification, if I ever go on a test ride I take my test pass certificate showing my pass date, as some dealers like to know you have been riding more than a week before they will let you out on their brand new litre-beastie Very Happy
apatia77
Pedestrian
Pedestrian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called my insurance provider which doesn’t really care which license I have as long as it is a valid licence as it won’t affect the cost of my insurance at all. Also it costs £20 to get my driving license replaced (managed to get hold of D1 Application Pack which has an option to get the restriction removed.)

Well, before renewing my insurance in 3 weeks’ time I am going to call them again and state that my bike is going to be unrestricted and that my license is going to be a not restricted one anymore just to be sure that my insurance is valid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: