BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back Protector Good or Bad thing???

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Back Protector Good or Bad thing??? Would you use one???
Yes! Why?
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
No! Why Not?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe? Tells us what do you think!
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Back Protector Good or Bad thing??? Reply with quote

Hi All can anyone give me some pointers in how to choose them? I've been interested on purchase one specially for the coming trip!
Any help will great appreciated!

Let the discussion begin!
Cheers,
Cleber.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... i have one but it's not really long enough for me & you're welcome to try it. I have quite a long back & this one stops too far short of my cocyx. it'd probably be a good size for you

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always wear mine, did have waistcoat style one but didnt feel comfy in it and now got a knox armadillo one and don't even know I am wearing it, got measured up for it as getting right size is important

NAPA121
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Forcefield back protector and feel naked when riding without it....

Once you get used to it it just becomes part of the kit. Touch wood you never need it but if you do it could save you a lot of pain....
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me there is a tipping point where I am more uncomfortable wearing this kind of kit and not concentrating therefore more likely to fall off in the first place.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
southernspeed
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only wear one on the track as I don't feel I ever push myself that hard on the road (yeah I know you never what could happen but ...)
As V says, fitting is critical by a competent sales person. If you're serious about it for safety, try to persuade BanditAli to go shopping with you, very knowledgeable lady in all things 'motorcycle clothing'.

www.carshaltonmcc.com
www.surreysportsmotorcycles.com
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V wrote:
knox armadildo

Wow, thats some protection Twisted Evil

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

You're Never Alone With Schizophrenia
summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold!!! I'll deffo will try/get one!

Thanks Biggus, thanks for the offer I'll have a try when I'm back!

Indeed BanditAli is a great source of informaion on bike gear, I'll surelly talk to her about it.

Thanks guys for your input 2 Thumbs up
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ_DJ wrote:
V wrote:
knox armadildo

Just rolls up into a tight ball in an emergency. Shocked

Back on thread (see what i did there) I believe Firecrackers injuries could have been worse but for hers.
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ_DJ wrote:
V wrote:
knox armadildo

I just so knew someone would say that lol Laughing
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moriwaki wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:
V wrote:
knox armadildo

Just rolls up into a tight ball in an emergency. Shocked

Back on thread (see what i did there) I believe Firecrackers injuries could have been worse but for hers.

It adds internal back support.
1stGarry
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never worn one and don't plan to wear one.

My favoured bike riding gear is Draggin Jeans, Reinforced ankle boots, Belstaff Jacket, open face helmet, you get the idea. A back protector will never find its way into that ensemble! Laughing
I don't ride sports bikes, I don't ride aggresively, I do my own personal risk assesment before I get on the bike, and ride accordingly. My brain is the best protection I have, so I use it 100% of the time I'm riding.
I know every bit of extra protection helps, but I don't want to feel trussed up on my bike. The freedom of riding to me encompasses all aspects, and includes the gear I wear and my mental attitude.
But what is right for me, isn't necessarily right for others.
If I rode sports bikes like I see so many of them ridden, I'd definitely have a back protector and all the other armour! Shocked
summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1stGarry wrote:

My favoured bike riding gear is Draggin Jeans, Reinforced ankle boots, Belstaff Jacket, open face helmet, you get the idea. A back protector will never find its way into that ensemble! Laughing
I don't ride sports bikes, I don't ride aggresively, I do my own personal risk assesment before I get on the bike, and ride accordingly. My brain is the best protection I have, so I use it 100% of the time I'm riding.
I know every bit of extra protection helps, but I don't want to feel trussed up on my bike. The freedom of riding to me encompasses all aspects, and includes the gear I wear and my mental attitude.
If I rode sports bikes like I see so many of them ridden, I'd definitely have a back protector and all the other armour! Shocked

Thanks for your input Garry!
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know if this counts but I have several jackets all of which have built in CE approved back protectors.

Yes they are sometimes annoying but on the one occasion when I did come off (in 2008), even though it was a slow speed off (less than 10mph but on ice) I’m glad I was wearing it as my back bounced off the kerb as I slid against the road. I ended up with a couple of broken ribs and a sore back but I can still walk.

Need to remember kids… more often than not it’s not the riders fault but the twat who didn’t see them (SMIDSY)

I’m a Draggin jeans and jacket guy too – and a fat bastard to boot – so you don’t have to be trussed up – just wear well fitted gear

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1stGarry wrote:

Nice to see you posting Garry Cool

I've only see you crash once Thumbs up Very Happy

boudicas wrote:
I don’t know if this counts but I have several jackets all of which have built in CE approved back protectors.

Summerman is, I think referring to the separate back protectors such as...

Clicky clicky

boudicas wrote:
Yes they are sometimes annoying but on the one occasion when I did come off (in 2008), even though it was a slow speed off (less than 10mph but on ice) I’m glad I was wearing it as my back bounced off the kerb as I slid against the road. I ended up with a couple of broken ribs and a sore back but I can still walk.

As they say "ATGATG" 2 Thumbs up (all the gear all the time in case you were wondering)

boudicas wrote:
Need to remember kids… more often than not it’s not the riders fault but the twat who didn’t see them (SMIDSY)

Nah, I disagree with you there, ultimately, in the vast majority of incidents there is at least some blame on the motorcyclist. i.e. some anticipation that could have been taken, or earlier hazard observation. Listen in on a few conversations at Box Hill or in any group of motorcyclists & you'll see it's often the same people who have people "just pull out on them"... I've ridden fairly consistently 10-15,000 miles pa for a fair few years and I can probably count on one hand the number of people who have pulled out on me, into me, or done something that I have genuinely not expected to have possibly happened or anticipated. Consequently, when those things have happened, I've questioned what I didn't spot. I really am by no means perfect and I do get it wrong & make bum decisions. Ultimately, my safety is my responsibility and "blame" counts for shit if you're in a box.

boudicas wrote:
I’m a Draggin jeans and jacket guy too – and a fat bastard to boot – so you don’t have to be trussed up – just wear well fitted gear

S & M

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
1stGarry wrote:

Nice to see you posting Garry Cool

I've only see you crash once Thumbs up Very Happy

boudicas wrote:

Summerman is, I think referring to the separate back protectors such as...

Clicky clicky

boudicas wrote:

As they say "ATGATG" 2 Thumbs up (all the gear all the time in case you were wondering)

boudicas wrote:

Nah, I disagree with you there, ultimately, in the vast majority of incidents there is at least some blame on the motorcyclist. i.e. some anticipation that could have been taken, or earlier hazard observation. Listen in on a few conversations at Box Hill or in any group of motorcyclists & you'll see it's often the same people who have people "just pull out on them"... I've ridden fairly consistently 10-15,000 miles pa for a fair few years and I can probably count on one hand the number of people who have pulled out on me, into me, or done something that I have genuinely not expected to have possibly happened or anticipated. Consequently, when those things have happened, I've questioned what I didn't spot. I really am by no means perfect and I do get it wrong & make bum decisions. Ultimately, my safety is my responsibility and "blame" counts for shit if you're in a box.

boudicas wrote:

S & M

Indeed!!!!
1stGarry
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggus commented
Quote:
I've only see you crash once

And ditto (same place different date! Laughing Laughing )
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1stGarry wrote:
Biggus commented
Quote:
I've only see you crash once

And ditto (same place different date! Laughing Laughing )

Indeed..!! on my first day back on the bike too!! Laughing you could've waited til after we'd had a ride though Wink !! over 7 years ago that.... Shocked

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

1stGarry
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't time fly!
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get on with my back protector Summerman?

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Duncan,
yeah I really like the "feeling" of knowing your back is somewhat protected but after riding a little more with the one you offered me It got very unconfortable and hot so I tried another one and decide to but the other model from Knox as well! I have asked Posh Bird to deliver it back to you asap as I know you want to Ebay it soonner rather than later. Thank you very much for letting me try it and I'm sorry for not having it.
BTW: It was really good to see you the other day!!!
Cheers.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

summerman wrote:
Hi Duncan,
yeah I really like the "feeling" of knowing your back is somewhat protected but after riding a little more with the one you offered me It got very unconfortable and hot so I tried another one and decide to but the other model from Knox as well! I have asked Posh Bird to deliver it back to you asap as I know you want to Ebay it soonner rather than later. Thank you very much for letting me try it and I'm sorry for not having it.
BTW: It was really good to see you the other day!!!
Cheers.

No problem fella. Better to have had on a try before you buy basis. I've only ever used it in our climate, so didn't feel the heat as you did. Smile

I got it back ok thank you, PB put it over my fence.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: