BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olympics.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
I was initially sceptical, and like many others thought it was going to be a total national embarassment (I really didn't think they would get everything finished), yeah I know it's a P.I.T.A. for some with the disruption that has been caused, in the run up to and during the games and it's seen as a waste of money, however, long term I think being able to stage something like the Olympics so well shows us as a country in a very good light in terms of foreign investment etc.

Watching the mens cycle race around Box Hill and seeing genuinely proud people cheering EVERYONE on, regardless of the country was a great atmosphere to be a part of. To put the race into perspective, it was a 200km (??) race on a bike without an engine, there are plenty of people I regularly see loafing at Rykas all day who could not ride that distance in a day on a motorcycle, let alone a pedal cycle.

The legacy of improved transport projects that would have probably never happened if it were not part of the Olympic bid promises, inspiration for a new generation to have national pride & perhaps do something rather than become couch potatoes have all got to be worthwhile.

I don't think anyone who watched Jessica Ennis win Gold for the Heptathalon with such style, grace and in the true spirit of the competition could fail to be inspired, and proud that someone British could compete fully, to the end, when she could have been a passenger on that last event.

As per the above negativity, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one (& is entitled to it).

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it" -Voltaire

Likewise I was very skeptical about our ability to put on such a major event in a busy metropolis like London - I was wrong.

Have I enjoyed watching us doing so well? - yes I have - some amazing performances by our athletes.

Is it a gigantic waste of money - jury will be out for some time on that one and it will remain to be seen what the legacy is - £24bn is a lot of money to spend on a two week extravaganza when the country is in dire financial straits. My local NHS trust is in administration FFS!!

There is an awful lot of hypocrisy surrounding the event - just take for example the resurfacing of ZiG Zag Hill just for a bike race - wouldn't the money have been better spent filling in some potholes?

Ask those people who have terminal diseases what they would have liked the money spent on? - kinda puts it into perspective for me.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjabob wrote:
Likewise I was very skeptical about our ability to put on such a major event in a busy metropolis like London - I was wrong.

Yep me too, aside some minor hiccups at the start when the "lanes" became active so far as I can tell everything has run quite smoothly.

ninjabob wrote:
My local NHS trust is in administration FFS!!

Yet oddly, that particular trust is the only one in London who will not save money by accepting the services of SERV for out of hours blood supply.

The PRUH was a bit of a disaster for a new build, lifts not big enough to take trolley beds, some doorways too narrow etc etc.

ninjabob wrote:
There is an awful lot of hypocrisy surrounding the event - just take for example the resurfacing of ZiG Zag Hill just for a bike race - wouldn't the money have been better spent filling in some potholes?

I suspect the official answer is "Different budgets"

ninjabob wrote:
Ask those people who have terminal diseases what they would have liked the money spent on? - kinda puts it into perspective for me.

Ditto "different budgets" I expect... Sadly.

All of this would be a lot more affordable if we were not rewarding among others the contraceptively inept work-shy part of society.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hooky
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if i offended any one. Late night followed by an early morning and a bit of a knee jerk reaction. I cant understand why any one would slate the Oympics..? I was getting dulled away hearing about G4S and all the problems there would be with transport.

But....Wow im not that sporty but have watched loads. Totaly amazed by the opening and have watched so much sport over the weekend ive gone back to work for a rest.

Planing to spend my Tax Rebate on a CB1300 or Pan so back playing Motor Bikes after our holiday. I dont want to upset any one before i start...!!!!
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooky wrote:
Sorry if i offended any one. Late night followed by an early morning and a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

applause

Well Played, takes a big person to admit they were wrong coffee on me, should we cross paths Thumbs up
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loco wrote:
coffee on me, should we cross paths Thumbs up

....well that'll never friggin happen! Really disappointed at th lack of tits if I'm honest, I just thi k its my age. On another note.........

http://vimeo.com/46824253#
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:

That's quality Laughing

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pottee
Learner
Learner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry if i offended any one. Late night followed by an early morning and a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

Well done Hooky, Big bloke indeed!! Smile

I'd never have supported the planned olympics; saw it as a waste of money, and an inconvenience. But having seen it. I'm so proud to be British. Proud of our athletes, proud of the history and the countryside that we're showing to the world through the events and proud of the thousands of volunteers who are doing 10 hour shifts to make it such a success. I really do hope that it has generated lots of revenue in the country already and I hope it continues to generate lots more over the coming years.

Am also wishing that the planning and organisation skills and the voluntary effort that has gone into this could be delivered more often for the likes of the NHS...
Miss G
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

watching the Brownlee boys in the triathlon...and thinking fondly back to our boxhill efforts over the last few years. I'm not comparing myself to an olympic standard athlete here, just so proud to see what's going on right on our doorsteps, I've caught olympic fever and painted my fingernails with the union flag!.

I’m impressed, I’ve never met such a small mind inside such a big head before.
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooky wrote:
Sorry if i offended any one. Late night followed by an early morning and a bit of a knee jerk reaction.!!!

Lets not take Locos word for the coffee ...its the first time he has ever offered such a gesture and im sure he will go aborad on the run now ....however apology accepted ( assuming it included me ) and ill let you stand for the coffees should we ever meet. As said it takes a big fella to openly admit he made an error.
summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrE wrote:
Hooky wrote:
Sorry if i offended any one. Late night followed by an early morning and a bit of a knee jerk reaction.!!!

Lets not take Locos word for the coffee ...its the first time he has ever offered such a gesture and im sure he will go aborad on the run now ....however apology accepted ( assuming it included me ) and ill let you stand for the coffees should we ever meet. As said it takes a big fella to openly admit he made an error.

It also does to eccept the apology and move on BRO!!! applause
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to BBC news website £264 Million has actually come from Lottery funding for Athletes trainng.

The actual event will cost every tax payer £400

Every Gold medal we have won so far has cost every UK resident less than 10 pence.

Since vast more amounts are sent abroad every year in foreign aid it's a dribble in a big ocean really.
Loco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
Loco wrote:
coffee on me, should we cross paths Thumbs up

....well that'll never friggin happen! Really disappointed at th lack of tits if I'm honest, I just thi k its my age. On another note.........

MrE wrote:
Hooky wrote:

You gents trying to say I'm not out enough??? ... well your right and I have no defence Embarrassed
Hooky
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to meeting the blokes for a brew.

I love the fact we are such a small island and coming third in the medal tables. What annoys me is the way our troops are being treated having to rough it all because G4S couldnt sort out their recruitment and training.

Thanks Pottee.... Wink
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olympians have all been great, just don't like the way it's been organized. Bet the public servants didn't pay for their tickets, all tickets should have had a set price. Be interesting to see at the end how much it has cost unless of course there is some creative accounting used hiding the true cost. I wasn't going to watch but can't help taking a peak.
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing..... Taekwondo..... Dressage..... ALL GOLD !!!

The GB ladies really are dominating the Olympics... Cool

The other thing that is really nice to see that all three of these competitors are from totally normal backgrounds without privilege... This is a theme that has run through the Olympics for so many team GB medal winners.

25 Golds I make that Mexican wave

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many lifesavers did Mo Farah do as he crossed the line applause Mexican wave

27 Golds..... Let's see what the boxers can do now Cheerleader

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheerleader last day
Willz
Cyclist
Cyclist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a performance by Mo! Mexican wave
Madam Busty
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An amazing two weeks, I have enjoyed every aspect of it Very Happy and hope it inspires the next generation of youngsters, I feel proud to be British Very Happy
Tinks
Fairy Grandmoderator
Fairy Grandmoderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madam Busty wrote:
An amazing two weeks, I have enjoyed every aspect of it Very Happy and hope it inspires the next generation of youngsters, I feel proud to be British Very Happy

Can't wait for the paralympics to start, the real heros

The 1st Lady of the forum.
SkinnyHulk
"Brokeback"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well having watched way to much olympics from opening ceremony to closing I concede defeat..... IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME.... For seven years I have been very cynical (some would say hostile) towards the whole thing but this gives me hope not just for us brits but for the motherf***ing world. Middle east allowing woman to compete including without a niqab, the french president opening his mouth too early criticising us for not winning golds at the start and saying 'don't worry britain your part of europe' only for us to BLOW the french out of the water. To security issues going off well and no arseholes trying to bomb the place. WELL DONE TO ALL THE ATHLETES AND VOLUNTEERS.

Ps LOCOG, G4S et al can all suck my dick

[/url]
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinks wrote:
Madam Busty wrote:

Can't wait for the paralympics to start, the real heros

Well the Paralympics have not disappointed.... The first ever Paralympics to have broken even and 2.4 million in ticket sales (before the event)..... From what I can understand from international news reports and opinions abroad, the Brits nailed the Olympics and Paralympics 2 Thumbs up

Went to the Athletics Stadium on Thursday and was lucky enough to see 3 GB golds, a sliver and 3 bronze medals plus Oscar Pistorius from SA who is a bit of a hero in terms of blade runners. Peacock, Cockcroft and Weir were just sensational for team GB..... Never been in a crowd of 80000 before but it was pretty awesome all in all Cool

The helpers and the transport system in London was fantastic..... Only grumble is the blister I got from walking so much Embarrassed nice to feel a sense of national pride though Wink

Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkinnyHulk wrote:
Well having watched way to much olympics from opening ceremony to closing I concede defeat..... IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME.... For seven years I have been very cynical (some would say hostile) towards the whole thing but this gives me hope not just for us brits but for the motherf***ing world. Middle east allowing woman to compete including without a niqab, the french president opening his mouth too early criticising us for not winning golds at the start and saying 'don't worry britain your part of europe' only for us to BLOW the french out of the water. To security issues going off well and no arseholes trying to bomb the place. WELL DONE TO ALL THE ATHLETES AND VOLUNTEERS.

Well im still of the "apparently" wrong opinion but hey ho its good to be a minority Wink

Ps LOCOG, G4S et al can all suck my dick

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed the events I saw at the Paralympics, the Athetics at the stadium and the final of the womens wheelchair basketball.

It was not a freak show as some seem insistant on billing it, but an inspirational display of human endeavour.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tfft its over
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: