BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum
 
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Handlebar vibrations

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Handlebar vibrations Reply with quote

Im sure this question has been asked before but I can't find it anywhere.

I'm having problems on longer runs with numb hands due to the vibrations through the bars. On twisty roads it's not too bad, but anything more than 20 mins at a constant speed leaves me having to do hand-gymnastics to get the circulation back.

Has anyone got any recommendations from experience as to a solution? As many of you know, I'm riding a 2009 versys so no rubber mounted engine. I am reluctant to try grip puppies as I rely on my heated grips through winter. I also have handguards installed so I am limited as to my bar end weight options. Options so far are:

1. Fill bars with silicone sealant/sand/lead shot etc
2. Try the Rox anti-vibe risers (expensive)
3. Flexx bars (how f*ckin much?)
4. Buy a smoother bike Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 4076
Location: Stuck in the middle.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding the KLR i find relaxing my grip on the bars helps......did the ride up to Ripley, Derbyshire, on her last year with no problems regarding numbness.
_________________
Just call me Waki.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I keep reminding myself to do just that Waki. Got a vario screen coming soon to try and take some of the windblast off at high speed so I don't have to hold on so tight Very Happy

There seems to be a high frequency vibration though, especially in the left grip at about 6-7k rpm, which is 80-90 mph in 6th gear.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 1429

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds to me like youve got most of the options covered ...except....and it is a long shot....how tight fitting are your gloves?
_________________
Rust is lighter than carbon fibre!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 3352
Location: 48.066895,12.862673

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the bar-ends been changed for non-standard ones?
_________________
"Those who understand compound interest are destined to collect it.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found the ER6 motor a bit "buzzy" at certain revs, I've never ridden that or a versys long enough to have the issue.
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps. have you tried having a what a w***er after 20 mins of riding the versys? I much prefer the idea of riding the bike rather than having to sit on my hand for ten mins
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun
Monkey With a Machine Gun


Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Posts: 2645
Location: Lost in Space

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
ps. have you tried having a what a w***er after 20 mins of riding the versys? I much prefer the idea of riding the bike rather than having to sit on my hand for ten mins


rolling on the floor laughing
_________________
The Resident Forum Ghost
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing biggus, it's my left hand which is going numb, and I'm right handed...

MrE, gloves are fine, nice and stretchy so that's not the issue I don't think. Bob, bar end weights have been replaced in order to fit handguards, and I think this has been a factor in the problem. Handguards are sooooo nice though on cold days, and they certainly saved the bike from damage when I dropped it a couple of weeks back!

[justifying new bike purchase] I'm going to go test ride the post 2010 bike as they rubber mounted the engine, see if it makes any difference. I don't want to throw more money at this bike if the new one has been smoothed out as Kawasaki claim it has. [/justify]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 3352
Location: 48.066895,12.862673

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may well be the Bar Weights - these are specifically designed to reduce vibration and replacing them with pretty aftermarket ones is always a mistake. The Kawasaki ones on my bike have rubber inserts and are very heavy.
_________________
"Those who understand compound interest are destined to collect it.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestions guys!

However, as of friday, it will be someone else's problem Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 1269
Location: Pound Hill Crawley, West Sussex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
thanks for the suggestions guys!

However, as of friday, it will be someone else's problem Cool


So You trade is in? wot you got??
_________________
The road to success is always under construction.
Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?
How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits He's lost?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group