BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enhanced Rider Scheme Training with ART

View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Enhanced Rider Scheme Training with ART Reply with quote

I’ve been on a bike since 2003 after passing through Direct Access; I cover anywhere between 14-20,000 miles a year on two wheels- many of those miles are touring with friends around Europe and the UK, and the odd Saturday/Sunday morning scratch. I ride in all weathers, except snow/ice and I’ve done a couple of BikeSafe days (with Surrey & the Met), I’ve also done a few track days in my time. I consider myself to be a fairly competent rider, but like everyone, I’d probably benefit with a polish up in places, and a few bad habits being ironed out.

Currently there are 4 bikes in my garage, Honda CB1300, Honda Firestorm, Honda ST1100 Pan European and a Triumph Street Triple R. I am also a volunteer rider for SERV ( http://www.serv.org.uk ), SERV encourage their volunteer riders to undertake advanced training within the first year of starting as a volunteer, this was the kick I needed to get motivated to research & choose between RoSPA & IAM. Both have their merits and are both are respected organisations and qualifications.

Steve Manning of ART Motorcycle Training ( http://www.artmotorcycletraining.co.uk) suggested that the DSA backed “Enhanced Rider Scheme” he runs might be just what I was looking for whilst I procrastinated over which training route I might take. The post-test motorcycle trainer that ART use for the course is a time served retired Kent Police Class One rider, as well as being an examiner for RoSPA (useful for me to know from the horse’s mouth what a RoSPA examiner is looking for & what I should really brush up on if I decided to take that test in the future).

I chose to ride my Street Triple R for the day, since that is the bike to be frank encourages the worst of my riding. To quantify that, to ride the Pan European progressively, you absolutely have to set it up for a corner and have it completely settled before tipping in; the Street however is very fast, well braked, well suspended and quite forgiving, and more than happy being thrown into a corner with gay abandon on any line of your choosing, as well as weighing about half a biscuit making mid-corner changes of line very easy, to use laymans terms it encourages me to ride like a bit of a ****.

So, I pitched up 9am at P&H Motorcycles for the start of the day, bladder empty, tank full and met “Mick”. We waited for a while for the other chap booked on to turn up for the day, but he never showed, and the phone calls to his contact numbers drew a blank, selfishly I was rather pleased with the no show as it meant a 1 on 1 day for me (although I hope that the other guy had just forgotten rather than anything serious had happened to him).

During the pre-ride chat over a coffee, Mick asked about my riding – how many years, what bikes I have/had, any accidents, and then went through the broad criteria for the assessment and explained the format of the day. I was already familiar with the essence of “IPSGA”/”The System of Motorcycle Control” from “Roadcraft”, but confess that I have never read the book, although really I should get round to it… And of course speed was mentioned, “I won’t be breaking any posted limits”, advised Mick, “if you want me to assess your riding you need to stick to them too so that I can do that effectively”. Fair point. We also discussed “off-siding”, and the various schools of thought on that, specifically in terms of RoSPA (who no longer advocate that practice), the law, and of course common sense/safety. Ride your own ride, of course as always was the order of the day.

First off, I was to lead to Copthorne, just so Mick could get a feel for my riding, I won’t go into details, but I made a massive schoolboy error, that although “controlled” (just) was an easily avoidable scenario, “wake up Dunc!” I said to myself as I bashed the side of my lid with my gloved hand for being such a wally! I’d definitely be buying the doughnuts or teas for that one!

We stopped at Copthorne for Mick to take the lead, (once he’d finished chuckling at the smoke from my tyres from the incident 5 minutes earlier…). So I followed on and observed what he was doing - would I do anything differently? Possibly one or two very minor things, but nothing major, Mick carried on the lead to Edenbridge, where after a chat about the ride so far, I took over the lead, some familiar roads for me, through Four Elms… Just getting me into the swing of things on roads I knew and was already aware of the hazards; a great confidence boost after my earlier error.

During the coffee stop, the de-brief highlighted areas I should work on during the day to improve my ride, Mick is very much of the school of thought of mechanical sympathy, which was slightly at odds with my previous thinking about keeping the engine singing, the Street just (in my opinion) wants to rev and be revved, so supressing that instinct would be a hard one to break; on occasions, I was also “comfort braking” (touching the brake but not taking any speed off) and perhaps not committing to position as early as I maybe could, buying more time by planning better would make for a smoother ride.

From the coffee stop, I again followed Mick, a familiar area, but many roads I’d not ridden or driven, some real corkers too. We switched places at Yalding, with me again taking the lead, although progress was hampered by a tractor that had a very wide brush cutter attached meaning that no safe overtake opportunity was on (although a Ducati rider’s head coming in the opposite direction was perilously close to the attachment – I winced). We reached at set of temporary lights and were able to nip past it safely to the front of the queue. Lights changed and onto the next section, trying to concentrate on the points that Mick had highlighted. So far so good.

Lunch stop was at Wessons Café in Horam, which oddly for such a warm day was all but abandoned; which was a good thing as we got quick service, and it wasn’t too noisy for a chat/debrief & a natter about the Highway Code, and specifically about the vagaries of the double white/solid white line - when you can and can’t cross them and rules pertaining to pedestrian crossings and scenarios about which vehicles you can and cannot overtake, as well as discussing motorway filtering and good practice to carry this out safely and considerately.

Back on the bikes, Again, I was taking the lead; Mick had established that I was not Geographically Challenged and quite good at following a list of verbal instructions so based on those we headed from Wessons towards and through Tunbridge Wells, stopping at Langton Green, where Mick advised that on the next section (A264 towards East Grinstead) he would be assessing as if it were a RoSPA test and advising what grade he would award if it were a RoSPA test (which incidentally is over 35 miles, not 10). That section of the A264 through Ashurst is glorious if you get it just right, but it’s very very easy to crap out, so the pressure was on.

At East Grinstead, we pulled up, “Good ride, very good ride”, and the thumbs up from Mick. “If you were on your RoSPA test and did 35 miles like you’ve just done the last 10, I’d be awarding you RoSPA Gold”, I was really chuffed, especially as I’d started the day on the wrong foot with my schoolboy error. Credit to Mick for ironing out the creases.

The ride back to P&H from East Grinstead took in some of the B road corkers around Turners Hill, then a short motorway and dual carriageway hop, which was required to tick those particular boxes on the DSA assessment form, although, like a lot of motorcyclists, I generally use those kinds of roads when there is no other sensible option, or for pure expedience.

Over a coffee at P&H we chatted about the day, and Mick ticked the boxes on the areas of competence I had to display, and they were all in the “A” category, which of course I was really pleased about. This assessment form goes back to the DSA, where it’s recorded in case it’s queried - and I can now get up to 17% off my insurance, over a few renewals, that alone would cover the cost of an ERS.

I will be honest, I thought that ERS was just going to a basic post-test enhancement course, like “pass plus” for cars (which so far as I understand is teaching spotty 17 year old car drivers about motorways) and aimed purely at novices, or maybe those returning to biking, however, I would really heartily recommend ERS to anyone, and certainly with ART & Mick - he pitched the emphasis of the day to my requirements/ability and I am equally confident that he would differentiate the day for other ranges of ability/experience.

One of the best bits of the day, was following Mick on his demo ride, which is not so far as I’m aware a part of BikeSafe, by evaluating all he was doing, I was able to apply that to polish up areas of weakness, or less tidy parts of my own riding.

Having done BikeSafe with two different forces, this was definitely a real step up from that, I’m not maligning BikeSafe, however, it is “observation”, rather than “training” of course it still has it’s own place in rider development.

In short, great day on the bike, fun, great routes and a high quality of training, thoroughly recommended.

Links:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022666

http://www.artmotorcycletraining.co.uk/advanced_motorcycle_training.htm

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home

Last edited by biggus on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:23 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested to read what you had to say, think Mick was who took me & Lil Mush out through ART some time back in some very wet conditions.

Will look into booking this course once CBR running again as I love to learn & brush up skills on the bike, I know I need to improve my riding & if at the end of the day it could help avoid nasty situations I am all for it Very Happy

ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent writeup - thanks for taking the trouble Smile

By "Off-Siding" do you mean going around the wrong side of keep left islands when filtering through traffic or do you mean taking up a position over the dotted line in the center of the road so as to see around a corner - something I am not a fan of as I think it is inherently dangerous.

The only problem with "sticking to the indicated limits" is that in the real world your not going too - you would have bought a scooter not a Street Triple R!! So in that case is the training although helpful for new riders or riders who are moving up to more powerful machines a bit pointless for someone of your experience - your still alive and in one piece and do a hefty amount of miles each year.

Has doing this course made you "Find God" and you will now stick to the limits rigidly?

A lot of us ride motorcycles for the fun, exhilaration and to some extent adrenalin rush - if I had to stick to the limits all the time I would drive my car - it's a lot more comfortable and probably more economical.Laughing

Your point about lower insurance costs may make it all worthwhile.

Maybe I need to go on one to find out for myself - the ZZR really lends itself to sticking to the 30 limit - I would probably crash trying to concentrate on doing just that!!

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjabob wrote:
Excellent writeup - thanks for taking the trouble Smile

You're welcome Smile

ninjabob wrote:
By "Off-Siding" do you mean going around the wrong side of keep left islands when filtering through traffic or do you mean taking up a position over the dotted line in the center of the road so as to see around a corner - something I am not a fan of as I think it is inherently dangerous.

As highlighted. Sometimes it's appropriate, all to often it is not, the RoSPA line it seems is because not everyone can make the call... there's a world of difference between being in the right hand gutter when there is no hedges/walls and clear vision and when there is quite the opposite..!!

ninjabob wrote:
The only problem with "sticking to the indicated limits" is that in the real world your not going too - you would have bought a scooter not a Street Triple R!! So in that case is the training although helpful for new riders or riders who are moving up to more powerful machines a bit pointless for someone of your experience - your still alive and in one piece and do a hefty amount of miles each year.

I agree with you in principle, although there would be no trainers left if they all got nicked for breaking 30's/40's/50's to observe someone else breaking those limits!

ninjabob wrote:
Has doing this course made you "Find God" and you will now stick to the limits rigidly?

Not as such, but I'd really rather not get 3 points for doing 36 in a 30 at 330pm as schools are kicking out... Time & a place and all that..

ninjabob wrote:
A lot of us ride motorcycles for the fun, exhilaration and to some extent adrenalin rush - if I had to stick to the limits all the time I would drive my car - it's a lot more comfortable and probably more economical.Laughing

The real world edge to this, or any other training is tuning your riding so that should you stray to the wrong side of the limit you are better equipped to do so more safely....

ninjabob wrote:
Your point about lower insurance costs may make it all worthwhile.

To any training, that's a bonus rather than a reason, a welcome one at that.

ninjabob wrote:
Maybe I need to go on one to find out for myself - the ZZR really lends itself to sticking to the 30 limit - I would probably crash trying to concentrate on doing just that!!

Laughing

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Miss G
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the ERS course through BikeSmart in Haywards Heath a couple of years ago, in Feb 2010, on a pretty wet and cold day, good conditions to learn more! I have to agree with pretty much everything Biggus has said here (although I didn't have to stick to the limits within the Nationals, and off-siding was encouraged where safety and visibility allowed).

However, as with all training, it's only as good as the rider using it, and my complacency and lack of judgement/ability meant that all my bike-safe and ERS days didn't stop my crash, which was in real terms a pretty basic error Embarrassed I'm looking at doing another ERS day just to brush up on the bits I've forgotten.

I’m impressed, I’ve never met such a small mind inside such a big head before.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offsiding was neither encouraged, nor discouraged, it was discussed in relation to my interest in perhaps at some point taking the RoSPA test. And I was told to do it if a. I wanted to and b. it was safe

Regarding the limits, since the ERS is assessing competence with regard to the DSA criteria, limits is limits so far as posted limits go. It is however, "real world" outside those areas.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

NAPA121
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up Dunc..It's something I have been thinking about as a next step as well as it's good to keep learning and re-iterating what already learnt.

Might give ART a ring on the back of this write up...nice one Cool
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAPA121 wrote:

Did you give them a call? Smile

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

NAPA121
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
NAPA121 wrote:

Did you give them a call? Smile

Not yet Embarrassed but it's on the to do list...
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V wrote:
Will look into booking this course once CBR running again as I love to learn & brush up skills on the bike, I know I need to improve my riding & if at the end of the day it could help avoid nasty situations I am all for it Very Happy

Sooo... now the CBR is working?? Wink

NAPA121 wrote:
Not yet Embarrassed but it's on the to do list...

I love "to do lists"... Laughing

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
V wrote:

Sooo... now the CBR is working?? Wink

yep, but zero enthusiasm to match the temp outside at the moment!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: