BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whale Chain Riveter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Whale Chain Riveter Reply with quote

Got a Tsubaki chain to go on the ZZR - has a link that needs Whale tool (not cheap) as is it a proper rivet which needs flattening (peening over) with a good whack !

Anyone used the Whale tool - how much of a whack - is there anything about the tool that stops you giving it too much of a whack and creating a tight spot on the chain?

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
southernspeed
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a Whale splitter and riveter for about 20 years (same one!) Great tool.

You tighten (clamp) the plate with the screw adjuster then give the quad stake bar 'a good rap' , turn it 90 degrees and do the same. You can check your staking by turning the bar and you'll feel it fall and rise over the rivet.

Clamping the plate down with the screw adjuster is a matter of feel really. Once you feel you've got it level with the other plates, remove tool and turn your wheel , with the rivet link away from the sprocket, just check that it rotates. I think you'd have to be seriously heavy handed to tighten it further by riveting it too firmly. I certainly never have.

www.carshaltonmcc.com
www.surreysportsmotorcycles.com
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that I'll give it a go when the tool arrives.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think Napa121 used one on his chain... (yes I know he's holding a torque wrench Laughing )

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: