BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Never seen this before, Sheared sparkplug.!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
megawatt
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Never seen this before, Sheared sparkplug.!!! Reply with quote

Did a service on a mates 2002 ZX636 today. Everything went well until we put the last plug in , NGK CR9E. My mate is new to this, so he was screwing em in until the washer touched the head, tightening until the washer was crushed and then a slight nip up. He did not overtighten the previous 3 plugs. As he nipped it up, the spanner hit the frame??? He gently undid it and I retightened it. It went tighter and then went slack. I undid it all the way and then , oh my god!!
Old plug that came out

New plug.Came out eventually without removing cylinder head.

Neither of us is cack handed and at no time was the plug overtightened. I read somewhere that this has happened to a few people recently. Either NGK have made a bad batch or they are crappy copies, bought frrom a reputable motor factors. BEWARE!!!
Simon Smith
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had that particular fault, but we've had several NGKs and Champions at work where the porcelain section has come loose and floats up and down. It seems that there are quality problems whatever the make.
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not been unknown to have a duff new plug from NGK ....i.e new plugs fitted and the bike ran like a pig ......eliminated to 1 plug being duff
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun
Monkey With a Machine Gun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, bad idle problems on the GSXR since I bought it were tracked down to a bad plug having only done 1700 miles !
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loco wrote:
Agreed, bad idle problems on the GSXR since I bought it were tracked down to a bad plug having only done 1700 miles !

Mental.

You do get premature failures, but it always suprises me when it's something simple like a spark plug... That said, the construction of a spark plug varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

You'd think that it's one piece of material from the contact at the top to the electrode at the bottom... Wrong... there are different materials stacked to make the contact from that top part to the electrode, now, given that these are stacked, not welded, or bonded (although sometimes they use springs to maintain contact), it's no wonder that given the different expansion properties of each part could cause internal gaps to appear and cause internal arcing meaning that the resulting spark at the business end is less strong than it could be.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: