BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"9/11", 11 years on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: "9/11", 11 years on Reply with quote

Everyone remembers what they were doing on a day when something terrible happens. My parents generation recall what they were doing on Friday, November 22, 1963, for example.

On 11th September 2001, I'd been home to have my lunch, walk the dog, it was a day very much like today, the sun was shining. As I arrived back at work, I heard the news on the radio that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center New York, and not long after, the report of the second plane, immediately, I thought of a friend and his fiancé who lived and worked in New York - both of whom survived the attack, more by luck than anything since they were both running late that day. The impact on their lives of losing colleagues, friends, family members, acquantances in the attacks is something that I hope I never have to endure.

One plane crashing is careless, two in a short space of time was too much of a coincidence, initially I remember the report of the first being a "crash" rather than deliberate, the second confirmed that this was more than just a crash.

Regardless of whether the Americans "asked for it" or whether it was a conspiracy, the fact remains that 3,000 innocent lives were lost and apply that to the six degrees of separation theory, and we all know of someone directly, or a friend of a friend who perished that day.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came home from playing golf, sat down put the telly on just as the first plane hit .... thought this is a good film ... then the awefull truth that this was happening for real right in front of my eyes .. Shocked
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a very sad day indeed! I was working at General Motors do Brasil in 2001 and when I arrived at work in the morning it was a huge commotion, people were lost in words, all means of communication with our US partners were lost, there were guards on the main gates... But what stayed with me was the huge feeling of emptyness and sadness for all the lives that parished that day, it still makes me sad when I recall those horrible images. I didn't know anyone related to the people that died that day but I feel for their families and friends. RIP to all that died.
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was working at Titan Travel in Salfords just outside Redhill and was about to go to lunch when the news hit. We had 5 planes full of holiday makers in the air at the time making their way to New York, Washington and Los Angeles with literally thousands more already there and all hell broke loose as the news spread.

Never have I seen so many numb and dazed people work so hard and be so proffessional. Never do I want to see it again

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
SkinnyHulk
"Brokeback"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home from school, wondering why there was no traffic, got in and my mum was watching what I thought was a film. I stood there open mouthed as the 2nd plane went into the other tower. The worst thing out of it all though was when the towers started to fall. It was so surreal. I feel so sorry for those that lost anyone in that heinous act.

[/url]
southernspeed
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just driving home from my Mother's funeral when the first one hit. A surreal day indeed.

www.carshaltonmcc.com
www.surreysportsmotorcycles.com
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were on our holidays in fuerta ventura and the first we knew of it was a panic monger running out from the lounge to the pool area claiming someone had pushed the button and that CNN had been blacked out......wife asked what we were going to do.....i replied ...if its true im getting in the pool with a pint cos its about to get fookin hot.
However once we found out the true events we were stunned ....RIP
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father died on Sept 11th 1994, so it has become a particularly poignant reminder for my family. Every time the media starts reporting the anniversary of 9/11, I know it's time to call my mum.

On 9/11/2001 I was on holiday in Biarritz. My mum called me and told me what was happening. I watched the TV and drank much pink beer in the campsite bar, knowing that I was waiting for a US work visa at that moment in time. It affects us all in many different ways I suppose.
V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was mid divorce and fresh from redundency working two jobs to try and hang on to my house. (my justification for below employment)

At the time of the attacks I was in a call centre in Horley cold calling 'grey pound' residents for a healthcare product.
As more and more calls went on I had to protest very strongly to the call centre managers to stop us calling out which they accepted in the end.

People were thinking we were loved ones contacting them with news and it was not right to be blocking the phone lines whilst such an event was unfolding Sad

NAGRALI
Cyclist
Cyclist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working in the city talking to an American Compaq engineer as we had had a failure on one of our servers.

He suddenly said "oh my God" & told me to go to a news channel on the web.

At first I thought he was winding me up, but shouted out to the team to look at the news channels.

The servers couldn't cope & within minutes sky, BBC, CNN just couldn't keep up it was years ago & the web infrastructure was far smaller than now.

We still managed to get a spare part sent out to us to fix our server..... Compaq superb servers & service Smile

Barry
ChoccieMuffin
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was at work, at a company that had employees near to the WTC. From just after 2pm, no work happened in the office, with everyone watching with horrified fascination at what was going on on the internet. Dreadful, and it has without doubt changed the world, and not for the better.
NAGRALI
Cyclist
Cyclist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said all that. It wasn't a terrorist strike it was a government backed "false flag" (black op) to enable more control laws to be put in place.

Our own 7/7 must have been the same when you actually look at the facts, they just don't tally :-(

Barry
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAGRALI wrote:
Having said all that. It wasn't a terrorist strike it was a government backed "false flag" (black op) to enable more control laws to be put in place.

Our own 7/7 must have been the same when you actually look at the facts, they just don't tally :-(

Everyone loves a conspiracy theory... Whilst I don't think it was encouraged, I dare say beyond my lifetime it may emerge that more than a blind eye was turned to some of the intentions or warning signs that "should" have rung alarm bells... In one fell swoop it justified the scaling up George Dub-Ya's "war on Terror".

I was flying to the USA a year on from "9/11" and because I'd booked single flights & late notice.. (London -> Toronto, Toronto -> Chicago, Chicago -> New Orleans, Houston -> Washington, Washington -> London) I was singled out at every damn airport as my booking pattern was "suspicious".

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NAGRALI
Cyclist
Cyclist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
NAGRALI wrote:

Everyone loves a conspiracy theory... Whilst I don't think it was encouraged, I dare say beyond my lifetime it may emerge that more than a blind eye was turned to some of the intentions or warning signs that "should" have rung alarm bells... In one fell swoop it justified the scaling up George Dub-Ya's "war on Terror".

I was flying to the USA a year on from "9/11" and because I'd booked single flights & late notice.. (London -> Toronto, Toronto -> Chicago, Chicago -> New Orleans, Houston -> Washington, Washington -> London) I was singled out at every damn airport as my booking pattern was "suspicious".

Have a butchers at pstv.tv http://paradigmshift.tv/pstv/view/provider_category/29 there are loads of conspiracy theory vids have an open mind..... "into the fire" amazing! especially as our police did the same thing during our riots a year later???

Mind...... after meeting you...... maybe they needed to be on their guard! Laughing

Barry
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAGRALI wrote:
Have a butchers at pstv.tv http://paradigmshift.tv/pstv/view/provider_category/29 there are loads of conspiracy theory vids have an open mind..... "into the fire" amazing! especially as our police did the same thing during our riots a year later???

It's all interesting stuff, the people "implementing" such things on the ground, i.e. Police etc cannot be in on it, as we all know they're generally a bit gobby and not very bright so they could not be trusted other than to just follow "instruction"...

NAGRALI wrote:
Mind...... after meeting you...... maybe they needed to be on their guard! Laughing

Shocked oi I resemble that remark Laughing

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: