BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toll charges in France

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windy
Just call me Janice...
Just call me Janice...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Toll charges in France Reply with quote

Has anyone been to France recently (ie last 12 months) and can let me have an idea of toll charges from Calais to Grenoble?

We are going for 3 weeks this summer and driving down in the car Cool

Not sure whether to take the toll roads or go via Luxembourg (cheap diesel fill up) and through Germany. Obviously it's a longer route and I've heard the drive through Germany is very pretty plus I can practice my rusty language skills.

Also suggested routes would be great. It may be we just swallow the toll charges and go through France.

Any advice (including stopovers) much appreciated Very Happy
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calculate your costs on http://www.viamichelin.com/ Smile or just don't use the toll roads Wink

I've stayed here a few times: www.booking.com/hotel/fr/le-grand-val.en.html car park under the hotel & a "restaurant" there too - "Texas Grill"... Consider Dijon as a stop-over too, if you like Moutarde... I was like a dog with two dicks in the Maille shop Embarrassed

On the way, & just off the motorway near Reims is the old Guex circuit grandstands

https://plus.google.com/117981025914928801933/about?gl=uk&hl=en

Remember also, if you cross into Switzerland you will need a Vignette to use their motorways, (which can be purchased on eBay then sold again when you get back for what you paid for it)

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, with a young kid on board, I would Toll Motorway it there and back for the following reasons.

1) The saving in miles more than makes up the purchase price of fuel in Luxembourg.

2) Loads of service stations and picnic areas for stopping and letting Alex have a run around.

3) The toll motorways are pretty quiet and much safer + faster.

4) You are much less likely to get a hefty fine for speeding on the motorway, as long as you keep near to the speed limit. French police can be pretty hot on the approaches to towns etc.

5) Grenoble is completely doable in a 10-12 hour day by car (Alex permitting) but as Duncan says, Dijon or Reims are good stopovers there and back dependant on ferry / tunnel times.

6) Last year it cost about 70 Euros in tolls each way but the lack of stress made it worth every penny.

The route planner link that Duncan gave you will show the most direct route which is basically Reims and Dijon.

That's my take on it anyway and Happy New Year Smile

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Windy
Just call me Janice...
Just call me Janice...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Biggus & Tusky Smile

If it were the two of us, we'd be tempted to go through Germany and make a mini tour of the journey down but with a lively 2 year old, I think the fastest and least stressful route is best. Toll roads it is with a night at Duncan's recommended hotel, plus they have an added bonus of a kiddies play area for Alex to go mad!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: