BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum
 
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swing arm bearings

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Swing arm bearings Reply with quote

I need a bit of advice. I've got the swing arm off my Raptor and replacing the bearings. I've drifted the ball bearings out of one side, but I haven't got enough of the needle bearings on the other side visible to get a drift on to knock them out. This is because the swing arm is 'H' shaped, i.e. narrower in the middle.

Any cunning methods known to remove the little blighters?

Thanks.
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
megawatt
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 485
Location: Northiam, near Rye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Dremel to cut the cage into parts. Tried pulling complete cage out, but itexpanded outward and wouldn't budge!
_________________
Why pay someone else, do it yerself
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 3352
Location: 48.066895,12.862673

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very helpful as you are trying to do it yourself but - take it to an engineering firm and let them sort it!
_________________
"Those who understand compound interest are destined to collect it.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old firestorm engine bolt with the flanged nut turned round, that can often shift such things by pushing it over one way so the flange on the nut hooks onto the inner of the race and hit with a persuading stick working all the way round.
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megawatt wrote:
I used a Dremel to cut the cage into parts. Tried pulling complete cage out, but itexpanded outward and wouldn't budge!

Jimmy Hill

ninjabob wrote:
Not very helpful as you are trying to do it yourself but - take it to an engineering firm and let them sort it!

Never! But you know me Bob, I'll never ask for directions either Laughing .
I have asked at a couple of local garages, but they weren't interested.

biggus wrote:
I have an old firestorm engine bolt with the flanged nut turned round, that can often shift such things by pushing it over one way so the flange on the nut hooks onto the inner of the race and hit with a persuading stick working all the way round.

Jimmy Hill

Thanks for your input guys.
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
megawatt
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 485
Location: Northiam, near Rye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring it down here and I'll do it. Fook garages!
_________________
Why pay someone else, do it yerself
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 1429

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when putting the new bearings in dont forget to stick em in the freezer for a few hours ....this will help them almost fall into place
_________________
Rust is lighter than carbon fibre!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrE wrote:
when putting the new bearings in dont forget to stick em in the freezer for a few hours ....this will help them almost fall into place


and do the opposite with the part you are putting them into... well maybe not Gas Mark 8 for three hours Laughing
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 1429

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boiling water poured onto the surrounding area of the bearing apperture works well Wink
_________________
Rust is lighter than carbon fibre!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Athos
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer


Joined: 31 Oct 2004
Posts: 6038
Location: climbing out of a big black hole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

find a nut that is just to big to fit inside the cage...then using a hacksaw cut the nut in half through the centre of the hole...then assemble the nut in the middle of the bearing... and then using the correct size bolt screw it into the nut it will then expand gripping the bearing then youn can bash it out
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Jimmy Hill . Thanks Tony.
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[unhelpful post]JRTFT Smile[/unhelpful post]
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, but... it's in bits Rolling Eyes Laughing .
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 3352
Location: 48.066895,12.862673

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:
But, but... it's in bits Rolling Eyes Laughing .


Better hurry up - only got two months Laughing
_________________
"Those who understand compound interest are destined to collect it.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:
But, but... it's in bits Rolling Eyes Laughing .


That doesn't usually stop you, it is Italian afterall Smile
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjabob wrote:
Better hurry up - only got two months Laughing

Blimey Bob, I hope you mean three! Shocked
APRIL you Silly Old B*st*rd! Laughing

biggus wrote:
That doesn't usually stop you, it is Italian afterall Smile

rolling on the floor laughing
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help on this. After trying many different methods without success I was getting very frustrated and pissed off Twisted Evil .

I decided to bit the bullet and admit defeat. I took it down to Megawatt and the swing arm, sans bearings, is now in the powder coaters having a new dress fitted Very Happy .

I am extremely happy to say that Alan was also unable to drift them out (I didn't feel so bad about my amateurism then). But out came his trusty Dremel ( Hair Raising ), the roller cages were given a damn good thrashing, the rollers removed, the remaining bearing housings given a bit of persuasion (grinding) and out they popped Laughing .

Thanks for doing this Alan Applause . I wouldn't have had the courage to take a Dremel to such an important, and scarce, component of my beloved Raptor. But as Alan helpfully said, "I'm not worried, it's not my swing arm!" Laughing

I might now get it back on the road in time for the summer Rolling Eyes .
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
megawatt
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 485
Location: Northiam, near Rye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't do too much damage did I ? and it only took one hour to remove 4 bearings???






_________________
Why pay someone else, do it yerself


Last edited by megawatt on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I didn't see that close up yesterday Shocked Laughing .

On reflection, I don't think I would have ever got those out without grinding.
They've been in there 11 years so I guess they were very attached to each other? Mind you, my wife and I have known each other nearly 42 years now, we're not THAT attached! Wink
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Athos
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer


Joined: 31 Oct 2004
Posts: 6038
Location: climbing out of a big black hole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60914&highlight=dynabolt



Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, how uncouth Shocked .I like it Cool
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group