BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suicide.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HCMS
Slack Alice/Gay Martian
Slack Alice/Gay Martian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Suicide. Reply with quote

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2130817_biker_crashes_into_fatal_bridge_jump_ambulance

If you're going to be a cnut and commit suicide, please do it in such a way you impact the lives of others as minimally as possible

Thanks.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

100 Mile Cycle for Macmillan on 4th August 13. Please donate if you can!
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/PeterSnell
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if suicide is not selfish enough already

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, although a local person whom I know has said that one ambulance was attending as was expected then another ambulance on the opposite side of the road decided to assist... stopping IN THE FAST LANE and getting out and walking over to the other side.
he has been arrested. This is unconfimed (probably won't be reported). Sad my sympathys lie with the bikers family.
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loco wrote:
Agreed, although a local person whom I know has said that one ambulance was attending as was expected then another ambulance on the opposite side of the road decided to assist... stopping IN THE FAST LANE and getting out and walking over to the other side.
he has been arrested. This is unconfimed (probably won't be reported). Sad my sympathys lie with the bikers family.

Even if this was true, surely it is the responsibility of all motorcyclists and motorists, not to crash into parked vehicles?

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whilst agree with the sentiment of selfishness in respect of suicide and sympathise for those who have been left to deal with such an act i do have to agree with Tusky and say the suicider cannot be held accountable for the poor observations or attentions of other road users after the event.
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed it wasn't a thoughtful way of doing the deed, but commiting suicide is by no means a selfish act. It is my opinion that only the ignorant that call suicide a selfish act. These people are at their wits end and feel there is no help for them. Look at the falklands conflict, more soldiers have commited suicide than were killed in battle, but people ignore the fact that this has happened. Also look at the conflicts in the middle east, yes they are all hero's for even going there, and unfortunately some are killed, but what about the troops that have post traumatic stress disorder ? Please spare a thought for people with mental health issues, it may be you one day ! There are lots of people out there with depression ect. even on this forum. If a friend of yours goes quiet, is less chatty, doesn't want to take part in social events, hides themselves away, please talk to them and stay in touch, even if it's just a text or other form of message, this may be their chance to open up to you and tell you their problems. Even if you cannot help them, sometimes it's good just to chat. You may even be able to point them in the right direction to get help.

I haven't posted this to start an argument, and it is hard on the people that have to attend the scene of a suicide, and inform the families involved.
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you Fred but I think it is the ramifications of suicide that make people believe it is a selfish act, whilst the cause of depression varies enormously, it is important not to lose sight of the fact that it is the partners, family and friends of the deceased, that carry the burden of what ifs, if only and in many cases, an overwhelming sense guilt for the rest of their lives.

Your observations on how to spot the signs of depression are spot on, often those that have experienced it, are also the ones best equipped to give advice and lend a sympathetic ear when it is most needed Cool

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with you Fred, mental illness is an equally valid illness to Cancer. Personally I've been affected by suicide (brother in law & a friend) so I know that it's not something done of sound mind. I know that those who I knew personally would have been mortified about the further effects of their actions. Tomorrow is ten years to the day of my decree absolute... a marriage that broke down because I had a breakdown through the guilt that maybe I did not do enough to have stopped my brother in law from taking his own life. The hatred of him setting it up so that my sister would find him. Directly he took his own life. indirectly he nearly took more Sad

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ChoccieMuffin
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggus, having been affected personally by both, I agree.
Often suicide is the ultimate in running away from what you truly can't cope with. It is seen, by the person concerned, as the most sensible thing to do, because those you leave behind would be better off without you. It's a very complex act, and while I don't think I can ever really forgive my ex for doing what he did, I can understand it.
As for cancer, well that's not much fun either. I have lost far too many friends who have gone through all the shitty treatment and then developed secondaries. And I'm not talking about ancient old codgers who had one foot in the grave already, but vital young women, many with young families who now have no mother.

Mental illness, cancer, they BOTH suck.
Loco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChoccieMuffin wrote:
Biggus, having been affected personally by both, I agree.
Often suicide is the ultimate in running away from what you truly can't cope with. It is seen, by the person concerned, as the most sensible thing to do, because those you leave behind would be better off without you. It's a very complex act, and while I don't think I can ever really forgive my ex for doing what he did, I can understand it.
As for cancer, well that's not much fun either. I have lost far too many friends who have gone through all the shitty treatment and then developed secondaries. And I'm not talking about ancient old codgers who had one foot in the grave already, but vital young women, many with young families who now have no mother.

Mental illness, cancer, they BOTH suck.

+1 I'm with
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: