BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum
 
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013 BMW F800GT

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: 2013 BMW F800GT Reply with quote

Took one of these out today from Vines, Guildford.

It arrived in a fairly ugly metallic orangey-bronze, however the lines are sharp and IMHO the design is nicer than the F800ST it replaces.

This model had the lowered seat, meaning I could get both feet flat to the floor with my knees well bent. The standard seat is about an inch or so higher, meaning that even the shortest Oompa-Loompa could tiptoe it around. Climb on board and the bike is surprisingly spacious. There's a long-ish reach to the high, wide bars and the footpegs are in a neutral position: i.e. not too far back like a sports bike, not too far forward like an armchair. The seat is firm but supportive and all the switchgear makes sense. Thankfully BMW have decided to go back to the standard one-switch indicators on the left hand on this model.

Start her up, and she sounds like a lawnmower. A gentle if faintly agricultural putt-putt can be heard. The dash is comprehensive, with analogue speed and rev counter alongside a trip computer showing gear position, outside temp, engine temp, MPG, trip meter, heated grip power, average speed etc etc. On the move the clutch is light and progressive and the throttle response nice and crisp. The bike is very well balanced and feels very light despite its 200+kg weight.

The fairing is nice and wide with a tall screen. Wind blast is kept to a minimum and it's definitely all day comfortable: perfect for a sports-tourer! I did, however, find the rubber footpegs a little slippy whilst trying to shift my weight on the bike, and nearly lost my footing as I approached a corner.

I took the bike to the Pirbright bends for a bit of a test. Although absolutely peeing with rain the front end feels planted and there's a huge amount of feedback letting you know that the Conti Road attack tyres are gripping. Suspension is firm but comfortable and very well damped, no wallowing in corners, a very precise ride. The model I rode had electronic suspension and traction control. I left the suspension in neutral, and the traction control never had a chance to kick in.

The engine I was disappointed with. Sure, it's moderately torquey, but not really snappy, and there's no real power band to speak of. It's flat with a capital 'F'. User friendly and purposeful, but hardly characterful. it does vibrate a fair amount at anything above 2.5k RPM and this only gets worse as you approach the redline at 8.5K, which I found disappointing. I wanted the engine to growl and snarl and smooth out at high revs. It feels best pottering about below 3k, which is probably where BMW want you to keep it in order to maintain their claimed MPG figures. I felt a bit let down by the engine in what is otherwise an exceptionally good bike.

My verdict? It's a great bike, good looking, well made, good handling and comfortable. Would I buy one? No. At 8095 just for the base model it's bloody expensive, and despite the claimed (rumoured?) BMW build quality, I'd buy a CBR600, ER-6 and definitely a Versys before I shelled out for the Beemer, and use the change to pay for some extras.

Overall, if you want a BMW it's a great bike with fantastic fuel economy. However, I think it's overpriced compared to the competition and wouldn't spend my own money on it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it actually an 800? I get all confused by ze Germans calling 800's 650's etc etc..

Were you looking to purchase one or just trying it trying's sake?
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper


Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 11549

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review Chris..... Cool

You and Duncan will have to take out the new liquid cooled GS1200 and give it a good spanking, then do a review on that as well Laughing
_________________
Boxhill Chippendales Smile

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31748
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tusky wrote:
Nice review Chris..... Cool

You and Duncan will have to take out the new liquid cooled GS1200 and give it a good spanking, then do a review on that as well Laughing


I'd like to try that back to back with the Triumph Explorer which I thought was awesome Smile
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper


Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 11549

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Tusky wrote:
Nice review Chris..... Cool

You and Duncan will have to take out the new liquid cooled GS1200 and give it a good spanking, then do a review on that as well Laughing


I'd like to try that back to back with the Triumph Explorer which I thought was awesome Smile


It would be a really interesting comparison Razz
_________________
Boxhill Chippendales Smile

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only passing the garage with half a mind to buy. Still undecided as to what to do about my daily transport to work, and when I saw a second hand f800st in the showroom I thought I'd give it a test. Luckily they'd just put the brand new GT on test that week.

I'd like to give the 1200 gs and explorer (and crosstourer) a test ride but I fear I'll want one too much and they are somewhat over my budget Wink In addition I worry about the rear-tyre-shredding potential of a big, powerful bike after my experience with the bandit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper


Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 11549

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
I was only passing the garage with half a mind to buy. Still undecided as to what to do about my daily transport to work, and when I saw a second hand f800st in the showroom I thought I'd give it a test. Luckily they'd just put the brand new GT on test that week.

I'd like to give the 1200 gs and explorer (and crosstourer) a test ride but I fear I'll want one too much and they are somewhat over my budget Wink In addition I worry about the rear-tyre-shredding potential of a big, powerful bike after my experience with the bandit.


I get about 6k on my tyres two up and thrown around a bit.... I am aware of many GS commuters that get 10k out of the tyres, so not as bad as you would think Wink
_________________
Boxhill Chippendales Smile

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tusky wrote:
biggus wrote:
Tusky wrote:
Nice review Chris..... Cool

You and Duncan will have to take out the new liquid cooled GS1200 and give it a good spanking, then do a review on that as well Laughing


I'd like to try that back to back with the Triumph Explorer which I thought was awesome Smile


It would be a really interesting comparison Razz


We'll have to go and get one bike each and swap half way through. I'll go to vines, biggus can go to Carl rosner Croydon innit and we'll meet at box for the changeover Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group