BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bikes you didn't like...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Bikes you didn't like... Reply with quote

As some of you will know I'm unhappy with the FZ8...but I don't know why. Everything about it is perfect, from the smooth powerful engine to the aggressive looks, build quality and low running costs. It just doesn't inspire me to jump on it and ride for the sake of riding. Sure the suspension isn't the best, but I can't blame this too much when my own riding skill is probably equally if not more to blame for the slightly unpredictable handling.

What I'm asking is, have you guys ever bought a bike which you thought was great at first, but after time you never really fell in love with?
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope the complete opposite for me with the GS and that goes for most 1st time buyers of the R1200GS.

When you first ride one, it feels a bit weird and clunky but the more you ride and the harder you push the limits, the more you grow to love them, it took Yogi three test rides before he started to like the GSA but once he bought it, it transformed his riding when he came out to the Dolomites.

Just waiting for Waki to comment on his Tuono Hide behind sofa

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
NAPA121
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bikes you didn't like... Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
As some of you will know I'm unhappy with the FZ8...but I don't know why. Everything about it is perfect, from the smooth powerful engine to the aggressive looks, build quality and low running costs. It just doesn't inspire me to jump on it and ride for the sake of riding. Sure the suspension isn't the best, but I can't blame this too much when my own riding skill is probably equally if not more to blame for the slightly unpredictable handling.

What I'm asking is, have you guys ever bought a bike which you thought was great at first, but after time you never really fell in love with?

Interested to know what you don't like about the FZ8? I suppose it's all subjective but I have owned the FZ1 now from new for three years (26000 miles) and normally would be swapping for a new bike but I love it and want to keep it a little longer. I wonder if there is much difference between the FZ8 and FZ1?

You say you cant blame the suspension but you definitely can..It really made a difference when HM racing set up my suspension. I just wish i had swapped the shocks out as well but I didn't have a £1000 at the time.

The only bad thing about the FZ1 is the small tank range but to be honest I don't find it too much of a problem..I get 120 miles to a tank and by then I want to stop anyway for a break.
Nuclear Red
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it difficult just to go out for a ride on any bike.
I need a mission, even if its just a cup of coffee somewhere.

Bikes that I didnt want to ride were a Kawasaki GTR (first generation), too big and bulky, didnt learn that lesson when I bought the K1600GT

I can feel a Tuono V4 coming on despite Wakis experiences.
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bikes you didn't like... Reply with quote

NAPA121 wrote:
nosnowking wrote:

Interested to know what you don't like about the FZ8? I suppose it's all subjective but I have owned the FZ1 now from new for three years (26000 miles) and normally would be swapping for a new bike but I love it and want to keep it a little longer. I wonder if there is much difference between the FZ8 and FZ1?

You say you cant blame the suspension but you definitely can..It really made a difference when HM racing set up my suspension. I just wish i had swapped the shocks out as well but I didn't have a £1000 at the time.

The only bad thing about the FZ1 is the small tank range but to be honest I don't find it too much of a problem..I get 120 miles to a tank and by then I want to stop anyway for a break.

The suspension is unadjustable on the FZ8 Sad I dunno, it's never really lit my fire like I thought it would. Tank range is about 120 to flashing light then about another 30 miles till empty. I want to use the bike for everyday commuting as well as weekend fun, and the once-a-day fuel stops start getting tiresome after a couple of weeks.

I regret the day I sold the Versys. I saw it on ebay last week and very, very nearly bought it back. As back-road bikes go the Versys is truly exceptional and I miss the handling, comfort and versatility of it.

Tusky, I really want to try the 1200GS but it doesn't do it for me. It's not a snobbery thing, but BMW design just leaves me cold. I see GS's every day on my commute and they never, to quote one person I spoke to, "Give me a semi whenever I look at them!"

NR, I saw a new-ish Tuono and the Dorsoduro in a shop today....mmmmm, hooligan-tastic!

I fancy a change of direction with riding, hence the post about greenlaning. I've been meaning to get an off-road bike for some time now.

Last edited by nosnowking on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have got the Street Triple fella Wink

I should not have bought the Bonevile really, was good fun, but no way up to ritualistic hammering on bumpy mountain roads without spending $$$$ on suspension upgrades, or buying a better bike, which is the route I took

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Should have got the Street Triple fella Wink

In a lot of ways, you are correct. IMO every manufacturer has struggled to sell naked bikes since the Striple came out. I bought the Yam on impulse and am (was) now paying the price. The striple is a fabulous bike for its intended purpose, and beats all the competition into submission. Maybe I'll buy one in the summer as a gift for Barb, on the understanding I can use it occasionally Wink
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rate my Tiger ..... and you all know how many bikes Ive owned and ridden .
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate ALL motorcycles!
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:
I hate ALL motorcycles!

I think they feel the same way about you Twisted Evil

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Tango

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bikes you didn't like... Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:

My second z1000, loved the orange Tango Z ... dont know why I sold it Rolling Eyes
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bikes you didn't like... Reply with quote

Tango wrote:
nosnowking wrote:

My second z1000, loved the orange Tango Z ... dont know why I sold it Rolling Eyes

Was that the one that filled my mirrors on a hoon into East Kent? Kneedown

Rossi Bird
Forum Chavette
Forum Chavette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well im not even going to list the bikes and reasons i didnt like them Laughing

Bottom line is ive always loved the Honda SP2, ive had 2 and to this very day i regret selling them.

Close second is my current R1 (08 model)

But if i had to say worst bike ever easily my Ducati 749s, so much so it was sold after olny 140 odd miles Evil or Very Mad
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tusky wrote:
Just waiting for Waki to comment on his Tuono Hide behind sofa

Strange thing is i think the Tuono is a great bike..... Shocked Handles well, comfortable with the high bars as opposed to the RSV, and it's bloody quick when needed. And it's a crazy looking bike. Downside(s) are well documented on this here forum Rolling Eyes and these problems are getting a bit old, and expensive, now. Twisted Evil
There have been many times when i regret selling the ZRX 1100 Crying or Very sad and the money saved would have paid for an engine rebuild for the 750. Talking of which, after owning it for 32 years, it's safe to say there's no chance of a px any time soon. Very Happy
Tango

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bikes you didn't like... Reply with quote

Tusky wrote:
Tango wrote:
nosnowking wrote:

Think that was the yellow FZ1 .... good hoon that was Cool
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bikes you didn't like... Reply with quote

Tango wrote:
Tusky wrote:
Tango wrote:
nosnowking wrote:

Think that was the yellow FZ1 .... good hoon that was Cool

Very much so but glad there were no Rozzers which are notorious on that stretch Wink

Simon Smith
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tango wrote:
I rate my Tiger ..... and you all know how many bikes Ive owned and ridden .

Same here, the only bike I've had that is suffering from the ravages of winter, because I simply couldn't leave the damn thing in the garage Shocked
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've loved all of my bikes, but maybe the CD200 and the Lifan a little less because they didn't have quite enough power, but were still fun to ride. I have to like the look of a bike to even consider it, so have probably missed out on a few functional bikes along the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: