BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mick's Motorcycles Salfords.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Mick's Motorcycles Salfords. Reply with quote

Mick's Motorcycles owner dies months after retiring
Trusted article source icon
Thursday, October 06, 2011
Profile image for Gatwick & Horley Mirror

Gatwick & Horley Mirror
Follow

A SHOP owner described as an 'institution' has died just months after his retirement.

Mick Bromfield, who owned Mick's Motorcycles in Horley Road, Salfords, for more than 30 years, passed away after being diagnosed with a brain tumour.

​MickBromfield

Mick Bromfield outside his shop

His shop, where he supplied generations of families with motorcycles, was often a social spot for bikers and locals.

"He was what I would call a good man – a good husband, a good father and a good grandfather," his wife Heather told the Surrey Mirror.
Main image for myprint-247
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.uk

myprint-247
View details

Print voucher

"He helped people if he could. The bikes were his life from his teenage years.

"He was an institution. It was all about the customers; even in later years they would just drop in."

Mr Bromfield retired in April, aged 66, and closed down the shop, which he had bought on the spur of the moment in 1978.

"It is really sad because he won't get to enjoy his retirement," Mrs Bromfield said.

"I wanted to say thank you to all the customers that helped him through the years and have helped us."

Fellow shop owners have fond memories of Mr Bromfield.

Fred Walton, who worked in nearby John's Army Supplies, said: "I used to pop round and say hi in the evening because he used to work strange hours.

"At one stage he used to say he seemed to have more of a social scene in his shop than selling motorbikes."

Not being a bike enthusiast himself, Mr Walton remembers, was no barrier with his neighbour.

"He was a very knowledgeable man about all sorts of things," he said.

"One of the things he was most interested in was astronomy. He used to tell me what was going to happen in the sky that night."

Customers who kept coming back over the years made Mr Bromfield a fixture in the town.

Mrs Bromfield said: "He saw the youngsters come in 'early doors', he would start them off on their first bike and then see them come back with their children."

Away from memories of the shop, she has lost her lifelong partner in the man she first met aged 15.

"He was my other half most of my life," she said. "We had the same interests. He was a good, good man."

Mr Bromfield was diagnosed with a brain tumour in May and was undergoing treatment when he died on September 18.

I went looking for his shop today, as I'm looking for a cheap bike, used to go to him quite a lot over the years. Will be missed.
Crying or Very sad
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that R.I.P. can I tempt you with a firestorm? Smile

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun
Monkey With a Machine Gun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
I didn't know that R.I.P. can I tempt you with a firestorm? Smile

*Holy thread resurrection batman*

Was just gonna say I think the only thing that can tempt fred out now starts V ends in A and has 'odk' in the middle Wink Laughing

Love you really fred Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: