BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the state of motogp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: the state of motogp Reply with quote

I have to say I really enjoyed the highs and lows of the bikes on the box season this year, watching the WSB and Super Sport and BSB titles going to brits and actually having a decent rider in MOTO2 to cheer for (sadly now unlikey to win as hes lost his lead and broke his wrist)

Still it got me thinking as I refused to go to Silverstone this year manly due to the crap food over priced everything and having to pay even more for grandstand tickets, I think the dwindling grid on WSB (BMW pull out the end of this year) and basically a two bike championship in motogp says volumes about the state of all.. I found an interesting article (it's long btw) that kinda reflects my views and wondered what everyone else thinks

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/739/16892/Motorcycle-Article/Single-Track-Mind---MotoGP-Has-to-Change.aspx

PS> don't bother if your response is 'don't watch it' or 'can't be arsed with it' or 'don't care' it's not your opinion I'm looking for
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought there! I agree with a great deal of it, but I'm not sure the solutions he proposes will ever be realised. Crying or Very sad

The author is always an interesting read, my favourite being this one:

here
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have watched a lot of racing on the box this year and the most enjoyable has been British Supersport, Superstock 1000 and MOTO2

There are so few runners in MotoGP so apart from the sheer technical ability of the riders and bikes there has not been much to watch (no one is dicing for 10th position).

World Superbike has just been dull to watch for some reason it all looks a bit bland - used to be my favourite.

2013 - Another year were BSB came up trumps with a nail biting finish to the season - rather like the 2011 Hill/Hopkins race of the decade. Despite the weather.

Seems to be the bikes closest to stock with a level playing field produce the closest racing.

F1 has just about escaped from extinction by rule changes/tyres etc.

Looking on the telly (it is hard to tell) but attendances at F1/MotoGP/WSB seem to be down on their heyday.

120000 once attended WSB in Carl Fagaty's era in 1999 at Brands Hatch.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Loco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjabob wrote:

Blimey! Shocked

I think it's partly down to this country vilifying bikers in general and making it near impossible for new kids to come through, sure there are always people who go to far the old fireblade crushed and stuck on a post at boxhill was a fine example of not only the biker going to far but also the law, taking someones possession and crushing it takes the piss IMHO. so without the new blood where's the interest coming from? when I grew up there was a very healthy 'scene' my older brother and his mates all used to meet up every weekend for a blast and to watch some nutter wheelie and stoppie and burnout his bike at places like box and Chelsea bridge and Heston services, generally the only people hurt by such behaviour was said nutter when they accidently binned it.. I'd like to see all that come back myself.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loco wrote:
ninjabob wrote:

Blimey! Shocked

I think it's partly down to this country vilifying bikers in general and making it near impossible for new kids to come through, sure there are always people who go to far the old fireblade crushed and stuck on a post at boxhill was a fine example of not only the biker going to far but also the law, taking someones possession and crushing it takes the piss IMHO. so without the new blood where's the interest coming from? when I grew up there was a very healthy 'scene' my older brother and his mates all used to meet up every weekend for a blast and to watch some nutter wheelie and stoppie and burnout his bike at places like box and Chelsea bridge and Heston services, generally the only people hurt by such behaviour was said nutter when they accidently binned it.. I'd like to see all that come back myself.

Unfortunately, "we" collectively only have ourselves to blame.. the recent Rainsford Road Bike ban which could have been avoided if people just took note and went elsewhere for a while.

Regarding the crushed Fireblade... had it not been crashed into a crowd injuring someone and had the rider not fled, and had it actually been "registered" then maybe things would have been different!!! Two sides to every story... an uninsured unregistered untraceable vehicle off the road is a good thing IMO.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Loco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Loco wrote:
ninjabob wrote:

Blimey! Shocked

Unfortunately, "we" collectively only have ourselves to blame.. the recent Rainsford Road Bike ban which could have been avoided if people just took note and went elsewhere for a while.

Regarding the crushed Fireblade... had it not been crashed into a crowd injuring someone and had the rider not fled, and had it actually been "registered" then maybe things would have been different!!! Two sides to every story... an uninsured unregistered untraceable vehicle off the road is a good thing IMO.

well I'll be f**** I never knew that the story was that the rider had his bike crushed for repeated stunting and speeding... this proves not to be true!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/2958941.stm
Loco

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redding fit to ride :

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/Redding%20passed%20fit%20to%20ride%20at%20Motegi
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loco wrote:
biggus wrote:
Loco wrote:
ninjabob wrote:

Blimey! Shocked

well I'll be f**** I never knew that the story was that the rider had his bike crushed for repeated stunting and speeding... this proves not to be true!

I apologise, I thought someone was injured, otherwise my statement was factual about the rider fleeing the scene and the bike being unregistered etc.

All this kind of stuff is all well and good until it goes wrong. The theory about infinite monkeys and typewriters eventually reproducing the works of Shakespeare is far less probable than putting those same monkeys on motorcycles and having it end in tears. Smile

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loco wrote:
Redding fit to ride :

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/Redding%20passed%20fit%20to%20ride%20at%20Motegi

Good to hear. Smile

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Loco

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Loco wrote:
biggus wrote:
Loco wrote:
ninjabob wrote:

Blimey! Shocked

I apologise, I thought someone was injured, otherwise my statement was factual about the rider fleeing the scene and the bike being unregistered etc.

All this kind of stuff is all well and good until it goes wrong. The theory about infinite monkeys and typewriters eventually reproducing the works of Shakespeare is far less probable than putting those same monkeys on motorcycles and having it end in tears. Smile

Is that some sort of reference to my new avatar? Laughing
Loco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Loco wrote:
Redding fit to ride :

Good to hear. Smile

Gutted, taken out by someone else's crash, guess we'll have to wait longer for a brit champion Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: