BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phone Sat Nav that actually works!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Useful Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Phone Sat Nav that actually works!!! Reply with quote

Finally!

I've been looking round for sat nav for the bike. The obvious solution is the TomTom Rider and a Scala headset...but at 300-odd-quid for the setup, plus all the annual subscriptions, I had second thoughts.

Most of us have an Apple or Android phone in our pockets when we go out riding, but nobody until now has come up with a solution to allow us to load custom routes into the phone from TYRE or Google maps. Google nav on Android is OK, but reliant on 3G coverage, so you lose the map when riding through a signal black spot (or if you're on O2 Laughing behind hand )

Enter Coplilot Premium Live. £25 ish available on the App store or Android Marketplace. Allows you to create custom routes on the phone by dragging the route, a la Google maps. It also allows you to add coordinates for stops and waypoints. Comes with a year's free subscription to live traffic, plus free map updates and speed camera info. Europe version is about £38 IIRC.

However, not happy with the tiny phone interface I did a little more digging. You can already import Google routes into TYRE and convert them to .itn files. If you then download ITN Converter you can convert them to Copilot .trp files. These can then be loaded onto your phone from your PC using a file manager such as iPhone Folders (NOTE that for Crapple devices you WILL have to Jailbreak the phone. Quick and simple reversible procedure should you have any warranty issues Wink ) Hey presto, custom routing from your PC to your phone!

I know this sounds a little long winded, and some may just want to shell out for a TomTom, but I just saved my self a couple of hundred notes by using a device which I have already paid for and usually sits redundant in my pocket when out riding.

I've just installed a cigarette lighter under the seat and routed a male-female USB cable under the tank so I can supply power to the phone whilst it sits in the map pocket of my tank bag. Got a cheapo set of bluetooth helmet speakers on the way (I have no desire for phone call functionality)

If anyone is interested, or if I can be arsed, I'll put together an idiot-proof step-by-step guide on how it's all done.

Blue Peter, eat your heart out! Very Happy
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Phone Sat Nav that actually works!!! Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
Finally!

I've been looking round for sat nav for the bike. The obvious solution is the TomTom Rider and a Scala headset...but at 300-odd-quid for the setup, plus all the annual subscriptions, I had second thoughts.

Most of us have an Apple or Android phone in our pockets when we go out riding, but nobody until now has come up with a solution to allow us to load custom routes into the phone from TYRE or Google maps. Google nav on Android is OK, but reliant on 3G coverage, so you lose the map when riding through a signal black spot (or if you're on O2 Laughing behind hand )

Enter Coplilot Premium Live. £25 ish available on the App store or Android Marketplace. Allows you to create custom routes on the phone by dragging the route, a la Google maps. It also allows you to add coordinates for stops and waypoints. Comes with a year's free subscription to live traffic, plus free map updates and speed camera info. Europe version is about £38 IIRC.

However, not happy with the tiny phone interface I did a little more digging. You can already import Google routes into TYRE and convert them to .itn files. If you then download ITN Converter you can convert them to Copilot .trp files. These can then be loaded onto your phone from your PC using a file manager such as iPhone Folders (NOTE that for Crapple devices you WILL have to Jailbreak the phone. Quick and simple reversible procedure should you have any warranty issues Wink ) Hey presto, custom routing from your PC to your phone!

I know this sounds a little long winded, and some may just want to shell out for a TomTom, but I just saved my self a couple of hundred notes by using a device which I have already paid for and usually sits redundant in my pocket when out riding.

I've just installed a cigarette lighter under the seat and routed a male-female USB cable under the tank so I can supply power to the phone whilst it sits in the map pocket of my tank bag. Got a cheapo set of bluetooth helmet speakers on the way (I have no desire for phone call functionality)

If anyone is interested, or if I can be arsed, I'll put together an idiot-proof step-by-step guide on how it's all done.

applause Well done Chris Very Happy

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Phone Sat Nav that actually works!!! Reply with quote

Tusky wrote:
nosnowking wrote:
Finally!

applause Well done Chris Very Happy

all you need to do now is water proof it Wink Laughing
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a sat nav bag kicking around for a while. Does the job perfectly and is shower proof. Ziploc baggie will see me through the worst of the downpours should I ever go on another Tusky run Laughing
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
I've had a sat nav bag kicking around for a while. Does the job perfectly and is shower proof. Ziploc baggie will see me through the worst of the downpours should I ever go on another Tusky run Laughing

Make that two ziplock baggies Wink

Both Pete and I have used CoPilot in the past..... Seemed to work pretty well for the money and mine was on an 02 Orbit before the days of iPhones and Androids old

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It got a reasonable test last night, and performed admirably. When the phone calculates the route from the imported .trp file it can make a few changes, but there are preferences for favouring minor routes over majors and motorways, which helps if you want to avoid Friday evening traffic...just remember to reset the preferences when you want the quickest route home in the rain. Damn thing kept wanting to send me down side roads Laughing

The only other issue is that waypoints on google maps are translated into separate routes, so it keeps saying "You have arrived at your destination" when you hit a waypoint then recalculates the new route to the next waypoint. It's only a 2-3 second lag so not too serious. I'll try and work out how to manually edit the .trp file, doesn't look too complicated.
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick Question...

How does it affect the battery life on your phone? I’m suspecting it will kick the bollocks out of it but I’m hoping that it would last he day without the phone needing a recharge from the bike battery...

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boudicas wrote:
Quick Question...

How does it affect the battery life on your phone? I’m suspecting it will kick the bollocks out of it but I’m hoping that it would last he day without the phone needing a recharge from the bike battery...

A days riding on the cruiser and you'll still be in walking distance of home Wink Hide behind sofa

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NAPA121
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
boudicas wrote:
Quick Question...

A days riding on the cruiser and you'll still be in walking distance of home Wink Hide behind sofa

rolling on the floor laughing rolling on the floor laughing
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAPA121 wrote:
biggus wrote:
boudicas wrote:
Quick Question...

rolling on the floor laughing rolling on the floor laughing

Laughing

I reckon you're looking at about 3-4 hours max battery life using the GPS, display on all the time and bluetooth communication.
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a cigarette lighter socket under the seat via a relay...

Then ran the USB cable under the tank and using judicious amounts of sticky Velcro, stuck the end of it under the front fairing when not in use.

There's a cable inlet in the tank bag to route the power supply to the phone. Cables and fittings cost about £10-15 in total. Dunno about on the Fury, but on the CBF it should be a fairly easy task.

Bought one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Ericsson-MW-600-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B0038M3H4S

And a set of these: http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/19478865/729042553/GCG-Stereo-Motorcycle-Helmet-Speaker-Headphones-3-5mm-plug/ListingDetails.html?_$ja=tsid%3a11518%7ccat%3a19478865%7cprd%3a19478865

The setup works an absolute treat Very Happy

All in, about £75, including the sat nav app.
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bluetooth module is very small, comes with fm radio and has a claimed 10 hour battery life under use. It clips neatly and securely onto the chin curtain of the lid and connects to the speakers mounted inside via a 3.5mm jack.

Getting to grips with the app a bit more now. It has custom routing preferences based on what vehicle type you are in...ignoring the actual vehicle type for the moment, this means you have five user profiles for road preferences. For example, I have the motorcycle preferences set to favour minor roads, neutral on primary roads and avoid dual carriageways and motorways. The car profile is set to favour major roads and avoid minors. So, if I want a twisty back roads route I choose the motorcycle profile, if I want a quick blast home I choose the car profile. There are also choices for trucks, cycles and walking, all customisable in this way.

On the way home from loomies on Sunday I wanted to avoid the A-roads so I just put my postcode in and let the sat nav guide me home. It chose nearly all B-roads with a national speed limit and took me on a nice little adventure Smile

Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job puttng the charger socket in ...i reckon your estimation of 4 hrs using sat nav is about 3 hrs out on the negative side Laughing
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Co Pilot has been handy on the phone at a fraction of satnav costs, surprised it's not advertised more Smile
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

may be looking into a starcom advance unit Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Useful Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: