BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum
 
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPads....

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Nerdsville
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31747
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: iPads.... Reply with quote

I have to buy an iPad for work Sad minimum iPad2 IOS6

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to convince me that this is not just a teatray with an lcd screen on it. From what I can tell it's just a browser, can it do anything that's actually useful that I can't do with my Android phone or the PC's/laptops that I have ( and I don't mean "facetime", drawing pictures with my fingers, playing crappy logo games, or making me look like a total bell-end taking photographs with it)?

What one should I buy? Should I just get the bare minimum for my requirement (iPad2 IOS6) or should I get the dogs danglies latest one, what are the benefits? I don't envisage me using this for anything other than a product support requirement... convince me othewise?

Where should I buy one from?

Next I will be giving up red meat, driving a BMW Mini and subscribing to Hairdressers Monthly. I feel emasculated. Sad
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut


Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 5394

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you just buy a good quality pencil and paper?
_________________
So many roads, so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit


Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 2987
Location: Bletchingley, Surrey

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IOS 6 refers to the operating system and not the hardware so wjhat youneed to look at is the memory, what size screen you have and if you want 3G or not.

The IPad cant do anythingt hat a laptop or or computer cant to (IMHO), it just does it differently and (depending on your opinion) looks cooler / naffer.

If its just for work, Id go for the cheapest one you can get if you have to get an ipad. Alternativly you should look at just about any tablet or windows 8 laptop and apply the same criterai you would if going for a normal PC or Mac.

Finally, although I ahve an iPad, I dont see it as any more functional than my Kindle Fire HD or my daughters Windows 8 touchscreen tablet with detachable keyboard. The iPad is just a lot more expensive.
_________________
Opinions are like assholes...... Ahhh Fcuk it - YOUR WRONG !!!

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31747
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have elected to purchase a mini (& get the comp to pay) because it will do less damage to my walls when I use it as a frisbee & do what I need it to for this support job, plus I bought it on my Tesco account so I get the points to use for something useful like Eurotunnel tickets...
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sharky
TT Racer
TT Racer


Joined: 06 Dec 2009
Posts: 1163
Location: At bloody work probably!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the mini, and although I agree that it does less than my iPhone 5 (cause its not a phone...) I quite like to use it to browse/make payments etc cause is easier on the eyes!!
_________________
Not man enough for an R1....... FZ1's are cooler anyway Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper


Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 11549

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now in the eight years I have been on here, I have been flamed many times for my liking of Apple machines by the PC loving stalwarts .... Yes way before the iPhone existed!

Like many creative types, I am at the other end of the scale from the PC fans.... I hate PC's, Microsoft and MS Dos.... The likes of Apple, Acorn and Sun Systems were the companies that pioneered GUI and Acorn RISC chips(ARM) that are the processor of choice in most handed devices and smart phones. IMHO Windoze in the 90s, was just a bloated pile of coded shite (Sorry Taz)

DISCUSS Flame Very Happy

In the mid-nineties PC computers were very ugly, what had made them so successful (cheap third party competition on components) had pretty well killed any meaningful attempt at providing a aesthetically stylish desktop.

Along came Apple with pretty coloured but hardly all singing all dancing 'all in one systems, .... This progressed to the iMac, Laptop Pro, iPhone and iPad etc. Good to know it was a Brit 'Jonathan Ive' that was the talent behind the ergonomics Wink

Yes the products are expensive but they work, they talk to each other and like it or not they look good and have set the standard that others follow. For example my G4 laptop lasted 8 years before I gave up on it.... My previous three 1800.00 + Sony laptops did not last that long put together !!!

Anyway off my soapbox Embarrassed the iPad applications are invaluable and cheap for my line of work.

It is an amazing bit of kit for live presentations, where I can demonstrate 3D modelling and it is especially good augmented reality demos if wirelessly linked to a router and Apple TV (100.00)

I don't play games on it and never will but it is a great browser although they do encounter glitches interacting with websites...

Like anything really, bikes included, you might not like the manufacturer or the ergonomics but you sure can have fun and its all about learning about how to make it work for you. Wink
_________________
Boxhill Chippendales Smile

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nuclear Red
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 519

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:
Can't you just buy a good quality pencil and paper?


I agree with Jimbo. Paper boots up immeadiatly, has along battery life and still works when you drop it on the floor.

Shit in the bath/shower though.
_________________
Blue smoke and a ring ding ding
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31747
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac vs PC = horses for courses.

Anything I could possibly want to do on a Mac I can do on a PC, not all of what I can do on a PC I can do on a Mac because people do not write the software I use for a Mac because no one in their right mind gives operators on a factory floor a Macbook/iPad etc... 250 laptops are disposable... and they need to be when the sites I go to are steel works, chemical plants and plasterboard factories etc.
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper


Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 11549

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Mac vs PC = horses for courses.

Anything I could possibly want to do on a Mac I can do on a PC, not all of what I can do on a PC I can do on a Mac because people do not write the software I use for a Mac because no one in their right mind gives operators on a factory floor a Macbook/iPad etc... 250 laptops are disposable... and they need to be when the sites I go to are steel works, chemical plants and plasterboard factories etc.


Agreed Wink
_________________
Boxhill Chippendales Smile

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, remember that if you want more apps for the iPad you can always jailbreak it. There's a lot of debate about warranty issues but IMHO the "illegal" apps are pretty stable and can add the android functionality/familiarity you are used to. Just remember to keep an up to date Icloud AND pc backup just in case...

2 years on I still love the iPad, it's replaced the PC in 99.9% of my usage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31747
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
it's replaced the PC in 99.9% of my usage.


I can see that for much of most peoples useage most of the time, I have tried an ftp app on it for making minor website tweaks and that works ok. As you say for the majority of people puttting a one line comment or clicking "Like" on Facestalk, or sending the odd emails it's and ideal bit of kit, I am sure that the others out there do it equally well.

It does annoy the feck out of me having to use iTunes for everything and I will never get along with the idea of Apple holding music licencing to ransom via iTunes, at least with mp3 it's easy to put on whatever device you choose, iTunes makes sharing on to anything other than another Apple all but impossible.
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom


Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Posts: 5854
Location: Looking for a + 10 @ Rising :-0

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason some organizations such as the NHS, use Apple is down to better security .... ie all the scum bags tend to go for android and PCs ... well thats what our tech boys say anyway Confused
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer


Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Posts: 1907

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
nosnowking wrote:
it's replaced the PC in 99.9% of my usage.


I can see that for much of most peoples useage most of the time, I have tried an ftp app on it for making minor website tweaks and that works ok. As you say for the majority of people puttting a one line comment or clicking "Like" on Facestalk, or sending the odd emails it's and ideal bit of kit, I am sure that the others out there do it equally well.

It does annoy the feck out of me having to use iTunes for everything and I will never get along with the idea of Apple holding music licencing to ransom via iTunes, at least with mp3 it's easy to put on whatever device you choose, iTunes makes sharing on to anything other than another Apple all but impossible.


I never had a problem with iTunes Confused

All my music is on mp3, I just get iTunes to scan the library and add whatever I want. Most of my music is ripped from CD, although I do have some less-than-legal downloads kicking around that work fine.

There's also a few VNC clients out there that work well with windows and the ipad in case you require pc functionality on the road.

I know what you mean about apple being restrictive about its software and apps, but there's a workaround for nearly everything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus


Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Posts: 31747
Location: Hotel California

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPad is an annoying piece of ****. Just saying...

The complete lack of file system is P.I.T.A. for this to be any use as a technical tool, it is a toy and might as well be branded Tomy or Fisher Price. Example. If I have a PDF on my web based email that I would like to save to the iPad for offline use and then be able upload to a website such as a forum or another webmail account, you just can't:

a. save it.
b. browse for it to upload.

I dare say "there's an app for it" but my phone can do that stuff. Argh.

Really??!! How on earth has this fundamental flaw been missed by the billions of "satisfied" Apple users?

EpicMacFAIL
_________________


www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 1427

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

done the whole I phone thing and frankly hated it .....as dunc has said why would I want to have to continually download apps just to view attachments, should I have to go to the trouble of "jailbreaking" the software just to be able to use the functionality that apple deem insistent on making unusable like Bluetooth,dont even get me started on iTunes I came I saw I bought I tried and now im done never again will I knowingly own an apple product.
Having said that I hate the new windows 8 format .....Microsoft have really gambled with that by trying to push the market towards touchscreen technology
_________________
Rust is lighter than carbon fibre!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer


Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 1427

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curently trying ( as i feel one must) a new desktop puter ( mine finally died ) preloaded with win8 .....fully ignored the app style front pages and go directly to a std windows desktop ....a bit strange getting aorund but still seems to be functional for the things i need.
_________________
Rust is lighter than carbon fibre!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Nerdsville All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group