BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Young Riders on Superbikes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Young Riders on Superbikes - Smart or Not?
Why not, it's their decision
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
No they should work their way up
53%
 53%  [ 14 ]
Doesn't bother me
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 26

faulksie47
Moto Crosser
Moto Crosser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1stGarry wrote:
At 18 you're a lairy git who is likely to take stupid risks on a bike, and you think you're indistructible! I know it's a generalisation, but it holds true for the majority of young bikers.

There are less young bikers having accidents than "older" bikers, but only because there are less young bikers on the road.
But young bikers have a higher percentage of accidents per mile than older riders, and experienced riders have even less accidents per mile.

So logistically it makes sense to restrict the bikes available to young 'uns until they've got that "all essential experience".

In a roundabout sort of way this is already happenning - insurance is so high for younger riders that most of them can't afford R1s, Blades etc.
And why?
Because they keep crashing them!

whats the source of all this info then ?? afraid i don't agree wid half of it ....

as far as the orginal post goes .. if they are legal then fair enough .. prob not though ...
wildman
"Fluffy"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted "why not"
However, on further consideration I would like to say that the SMART thing would be to work up to it.
Ride something not capable of warp speed untill you have gained as Garry says "experience" Passing a test is all well and good, but, someone said a long time ago "first you pass your test and THEN you learn to drive" Probably meant cars, but it still holds for bikes.
As Biggus has already said and I agree. I, also, would not be here if I had jumped on one of today's superbikes at 18.

Another point to ponder here:
How does a Gixxer or R1 thats restricted to 33bhp pull a "vertical" wheelie?
Wink
faulksie47
Moto Crosser
Moto Crosser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey maybe they were just posin wid the bikes while dad was gettin the teas !!
wildman
"Fluffy"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heheheehe If I had been Dad and seen my son pull a vertical wheelie on my bike his life expectancy could be measured in seconds!
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna be hard for him to wheelie the way he put them chips away yesterday Laughing

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Chuffster
Knight in Green Armour
Knight in Green Armour

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tricky subject really. They were probably riding on the road illegally, but there are many car drivers who do the same. There is no problem with them racing bikes of that capacity at their age - just look at Leon Haslam. I am not into stopping anyone enjoying their fun, but, if anything happens to them due to stupid or dangerous riding etc we are all going to get tarnished with the same brush.

I am eagerly awaiting similar rules for car drivers as bikes, there is nothing to stop someone passing their test and buying a supercar that they are not neccessarily capable of driving. So to even the score up surely on the car front you shouldn't have to be restricted as well.
AL
CBT'er
CBT'er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i did my DAS, there was a guy who was 18 also doing his test (and he passed), bit odd really, he turned up for his test with leathers on but was wearing trainers and no socks? Anyways i entered a conversation with him and talking about what bike i wanted when i passed etc and his reply was i got mine already, what you got i enquired? A gixxer 1000! Nah, you're joking i said, nope, he replied and it's restricted to 33bhp but it's easy to remove that and the old bill won't know any different as long as i have my bit of paper saying it's been restricted. I was gobsmacked lol
Jam
Forum Fascist
Forum Fascist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1stGarry wrote:
At 18 you're a lairy git who is likely to take stupid risks on a bike, and you think you're indistructible! I know it's a generalisation, but it holds true for the majority of young bikers.

i dont agree with that at all.. you only hear about the bad cases and they get such a high profile that people's impressions get warped...

and therefore why should the problems caused by the few bring down a penalty on the many?

on the other hand I am all for the 33bhp restriction rule, althouth I think it should only be for a year.. or maybe a certain number of miles? a guy owning a restricted superbike who does 250 miles in the first year for example wouldn't exactly be the same as me having my superfour (which is only 51bhp down to 33bhp) and doing 20,000 miles in the first year i had it.. I think after that amount of riding around the most densely populated quarter of the UK if i hadn't learned enough by then i never would..!!

right now I feel I could get on just about any bike out there (road bike - none of these crazy drag bikes, road runner!! Wink) and be safe enough.. but I think thats down to my experience and common sense... not because i'm 4 years older than an 18 year old Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tinks
Fairy Grandmoderator
Fairy Grandmoderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like fcuk will i let my lad get a R1, i love him way to much.

The 1st Lady of the forum.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinks wrote:

Aye a Honda is a far better choice Cool

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

Tinks
Fairy Grandmoderator
Fairy Grandmoderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Tinks wrote:

Aye a Honda is a far better choice Cool

[/url]

bit like this Wink

but thats with both the Dr and i with him not showing off with his mates.

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it suits him Smile Cool

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Tinks
Fairy Grandmoderator
Fairy Grandmoderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just look at the chav socks!!!

f1reblade
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 24 years I've been riding the one thing I've noticed is that experience is relative. I've won races, championships, taught road safety with RoSPA and looked at IAM.

I've seen IAM observers with only a couple of years experience - that honestly couldn't ride for toffee. Real novice mistakes. Some guy who look young can ride the spots of me, 'cos they've been doing it all their lives. You can't generalise an say all XX aged people are inexperienced, because its just not true. When I was eighteen people said I would make 19, the 21, then 25, then 30, you get the idea... Well I'm 37 now and I don't intend taking up crashing anytime soon.

If they're legal good on 'em. And remeber some of us are lucky enough to look younger than we are.... 37 going on 17.... again!
faulksie47
Moto Crosser
Moto Crosser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam wrote:
1stGarry wrote:

i dont agree with that at all.. you only hear about the bad cases and they get such a high profile that people's impressions get warped...

and therefore why should the problems caused by the few bring down a penalty on the many?

on the other hand I am all for the 33bhp restriction rule, althouth I think it should only be for a year.. or maybe a certain number of miles? a guy owning a restricted superbike who does 250 miles in the first year for example wouldn't exactly be the same as me having my superfour (which is only 51bhp down to 33bhp) and doing 20,000 miles in the first year i had it.. I think after that amount of riding around the most densely populated quarter of the UK if i hadn't learned enough by then i never would..!!

right now I feel I could get on just about any bike out there (road bike - none of these crazy drag bikes, road runner!! Wink) and be safe enough.. but I think thats down to my experience and common sense... not because i'm 4 years older than an 18 year old Rolling Eyes

Very well said mate .....10/10
faulksie47
Moto Crosser
Moto Crosser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f1reblade wrote:
In the 24 years I've been riding the one thing I've noticed is that experience is relative. I've won races, championships, taught road safety with RoSPA and looked at IAM.

I've seen IAM observers with only a couple of years experience - that honestly couldn't ride for toffee. Real novice mistakes. Some guy who look young can ride the spots of me, 'cos they've been doing it all their lives. You can't generalise an say all XX aged people are inexperienced, because its just not true. When I was eighteen people said I would make 19, the 21, then 25, then 30, you get the idea... Well I'm 37 now and I don't intend taking up crashing anytime soon.

If they're legal good on 'em. And remeber some of us are lucky enough to look younger than we are.... 37 going on 17.... again!

and another very well said mate 10/10
faulksie47
Moto Crosser
Moto Crosser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuffster wrote:
This is a tricky subject really. They were probably riding on the road illegally, but there are many car drivers who do the same. There is no problem with them racing bikes of that capacity at their age - just look at Leon Haslam. I am not into stopping anyone enjoying their fun, but, if anything happens to them due to stupid or dangerous riding etc we are all going to get tarnished with the same brush.

I am eagerly awaiting similar rules for car drivers as bikes, there is nothing to stop someone passing their test and buying a supercar that they are not neccessarily capable of driving. So to even the score up surely on the car front you shouldn't have to be restricted as well.

and another wvery well said mate 10/10

reckon the above 3 sums it all up very well
Jam
Forum Fascist
Forum Fascist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuffster wrote:
I am eagerly awaiting similar rules for car drivers as bikes, there is nothing to stop someone passing their test and buying a supercar that they are not neccessarily capable of driving.

unfortunately with cars (and nob-end drivers) it doesn't have to be a superbike to cause serious accidents... a cheap nova is enuf to cause several deaths..

The guy that killed 2 people and himself last week was driving a BMW (i doubt it was an expensive one)... now you'd have to be doing something pretty crazy to kill a whole lotta people on a motorbike no matter what size it is.. on another note, one of the passengers in the rear of the car said the driver "has always had a problem with drink driving" and he was "definately driving erratically"... i dont know bout you but i wouldn't get in the car with him in the first place..
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main point of this really is the accessibility legally or not of awesome power far beyond that of the average 18 year olds Nova or Saxo... Just look at the video of the 999 Ducati up against a Lamborghini 12 grand vs 100 grand or whatever. Bear in mind we are anonymous behind our lids and under our leather... so as Chuffster said we all get tarnished with the same brush regardless of our age etc... and there are plenty of dangerous older riders out there too!!!

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Thumper
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW great opinions guys!

To clarify a few points.

ZX6R was wearing jeans, trainers and a paddock jacket, no gloves
GSX-R750 was wearing the same, no gloves
GSX-R1000 was wearing trakkie pants and a black bomber jacket and gloves
R1 was wearing cargo pants and a bomber jacket, no gloves

The guy with the GSX-R750 was the one who was pulling the most stunts and was the one with least control. The convo went as follows:

Moi - cool bike mate, wish I could afford somit like that when I was your age, how old are ya, if you dont mind me asking

dude - he then listed all their ages

moi - blimey the insurance must kill you, I'm 24 and that thing costs me a fortune (the zed)

dude - pffft insurance sucks, fuck knows what it is on this, prolly insane though, my mate got well screwed on his blade when he crashed it coz he had no restrictors in it which basically gave him no insurance, hes on a 125 now.

moi - blimey that sucks, kinda makes you think why bother getting insurance

dude - only matters if you crash or get caught pulling stunts or speeding, who gives a feck you only live once

That was it. They REALLY gave me the impression that they had no insurance but I could have been wrong, it depends how you interpret my conversation with them I guess. They were all full of themselves and riding like idiots.

I still agree with my statement though of saying yes, I really do wish I could have afforded an R1 at 18 but 1) I didnt ride until I was 21 and 2) I thought my CBR400 was hoooge Embarrassed
f1reblade
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree that these geezers are a bunch of right twonks (I hope they're not on BHF and listening in!) the flip side to that coin is the Nanny State.

If we don't let people ride/drive what they want all the do gooders will give us a 15mph national speed limit cameras every 100yds and speed humps in between..... Just like Crowthorne high street. Opps must live too close to the TRL Smile

Common sense always seems to take the mean ground just holigans/do gooders fall to either extreme. I'm not about to kill myself but neither do I need to saved from myself either!!
f1reblade
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at age thity after having had a blade for over a year - when I tried to renew my insurance I was told "you need to get some more experience before we can quote you!!!!!!!
Bonus
I am a Pornstar!
I am a Pornstar!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no substitute for experience, If you want to stay in one piece. I would always say build upto powerful bikes, make your mistakes at lower speeds on smaller bikes.

There is only.......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chekabong
Slap me silly with a Salmon
Slap me silly with a Salmon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 100 % agree with Bonus. build your experience then go to a better and faster bike.

BUT you can start riding bikes from a very young age lets say 6 years old and by the time you are 18 you will have enough experience to handle most bikes.

Also at that tender age of 18 you do crazy things we all done and if one of you say no ( Chekabong will call you a lier.... Smile ) but also you get quite sensible 18 years old people and if you know you are a good rider then you won't do stupid things.

Be good be safe if you are 18 and you have a GSXR 1000 or an R1 or whatever then enjoy yourself and good luck to you.
faulksie47
Moto Crosser
Moto Crosser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the added info from zed .. yea i agree with ya zed ..well dodgy by the sounds of it ... still hopefully if they are gonna wipe anyone out, it will be themselves ...

but ..... my lads 20, not interested in owning a bike but has car, my daughters 18 .. got car had bike when 16 .../ daughter just like i was which makes it all the more scary .. but they are adults... i can't stop them doing something if they want to, they can get married, vote, smoke, drink and as long as what they do is legal i can't stop them, with or without protection !!!!!

expect ya wondering how come i'm still in my 20's now !!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: