BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here I come, ready or not!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What dooes indicating mean?
I am about to change lanes..
30%
 30%  [ 9 ]
I would like to change lanes..
70%
 70%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 30

Jam
Forum Fascist
Forum Fascist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Here I come, ready or not! Reply with quote

Subtle difference... something that frequently pisses me right off...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tinks
Fairy Grandmoderator
Fairy Grandmoderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats indicating??

The 1st Lady of the forum.
BlueRR
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinks wrote:
Whats indicating??
rolling on the floor laughing
CHILLI
202.9mph Raspberry Ripple

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirror, signal, manoeuvre... after waiting to see if it is safe to do so.
big al
Truck driving Hero
Truck driving Hero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry jam, i thought you were playing, gay hide & seek Laughing
CHILLI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolling on the floor laughing
miketiger
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cant win though.......whatever you do
Leave a space between you and the vehicle in front, someones going to move into it...........leave very little space and your gonna be sideswiped cos your in their blind spot....

Been there, had that done Evil or Very Mad

www.kentsussexbikers.com

Last edited by miketiger on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
tony vtr
Can't make his 'kin mind up
Can't make his 'kin mind up

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i done my test i had to put my arm out to indicate!!! Embarrassed Very Happy
big al
Truck driving Hero
Truck driving Hero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i done my test, it came back all clear!
Jam
Forum Fascist
Forum Fascist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving a space doesnt bother me.. it's people who indicate just as you're coming into their blind spot when they know you're there....

If you can see someone's coming past you then you aren't supposed to indicate anyway are you?! You wait until it's clear then indicate!

Stupid bus on A24 today (dual carriage way bit after holmwood going south), starts indicating as i'm overtaking.. then flashes at me because I didn't brake!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam wrote:
Leaving a space doesnt bother me.. it's people who indicate just as you're coming into their blind spot when they know you're there....

If you can see someone's coming past you then you aren't supposed to indicate anyway are you?! You wait until it's clear then indicate!

Stupid bus on A24 today (dual carriage way bit after holmwood going south), starts indicating as i'm overtaking.. then flashes at me because I didn't brake!
Stop him, and remonstrate with the bounder
Va Va Oops
Va Va Yes yes yes yes!!!!
Va Va Yes yes yes yes!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused how everyone seems to be saying one thing but voting the opposite way Confused

to expand on what Jam said "If you can see someone's coming past you then you aren't supposed to indicate (that you want to change lanes) anyway are you?! You wait until it's clear then indicate! " (that you are going to change lanes).

you are indicating your intention, not your desire...

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs02.htm
Jam
Forum Fascist
Forum Fascist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Va Va Oops wrote:
you are indicating your intention, not your desire...

Nail on the head... pisses me off when people indicate to try and make people give them room... if i'm approaching someones blind spot and they start indicating then that just makes me wonder if they've even seen me in the first place! And if they did see me then they shouldn't indicate when i'm in the middle of overtaking...
crazy horse
Sink the pink
Sink the pink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm concerned while on the road, an indicator is a flashing orange light with an occasional reference to what someone is about to do, just because a vehicle is indicating I never take that to mean that the driver has any intention of turning off, nor do I take the lack of an indicator to mean that a vehicle is going straight ahead. I've seen far too many people driving along with an indicator running that they've neglected to cancel and had far too many cars turn without signalling to trust them.
I take more notice of road positioning to try to work out what people are doing.
miketiger
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highway Code

Home | Pedestrians | Cyclists | Motorcyclists | Drivers | Signs & markings | Full contents

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z | Test yourself @ www.dsa.gov.uk
85-134: General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders
112-121: Multi-lane carriageways

Lane discipline
112: If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and check your blind spots (the areas you are unable to see in the mirrors) to make sure you will not force another driver or rider to swerve or slow down. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear move over.

113: You should follow the signs and road markings and get into lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily.

Single carriageway
114: Where a single carriageway has three lanes and the road markings or signs do not give priority to traffic in either direction

use the middle lane only for overtaking or turning right. Remember, you have no more right to use the middle lane than a driver coming from the opposite direction
do not use the right-hand lane.

115: Where a single carriageway has four or more lanes, use only the lanes that signs or markings indicate.

Dual carriageways
116: On a two-lane dual carriageway you should stay in the left-hand lane. Use the right-hand lane for overtaking or turning right. If you use it for overtaking move back to the left-hand lane when it is safe to do so.

117: On a three-lane dual carriageway, you may use the middle lane or the right-hand lane to overtake but return to the middle and then the left-hand lane when it is safe.

118: Climbing and crawler lanes. These are provided on some hills. Use this lane if you are driving a slow moving vehicle or if there are vehicles behind you wishing to overtake.

119: Cycle lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable. You MUST NOT park in any cycle lane whilst waiting restrictions apply.
Law RTRA sects 5 & 8

120: Bus and tram lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or stop in a tram lane or in a bus lane during its period of operation unless the signs indicate you may do so.
Law RTRA sects 5 & 8

121: One-way streets. Traffic MUST travel in the direction indicated by signs. Buses and/or cycles may have a contraflow lane. Choose the correct lane for your exit as soon as you can. Do not change lanes suddenly. Unless road signs or markings indicate otherwise, you should use

the left-hand lane when going left
the right-hand lane when going right
the most appropriate lane when going straight ahead. Remember - traffic could be passing on both sides.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & RTRA sects 5 & 8

www.kentsussexbikers.com
Jam
Forum Fascist
Forum Fascist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree mode CH...

.. but as i shift past I do tend to hold my thumb over the horn and my left boot ready to kick Hide behind sofa
lost again
Dancing tree frog!
Dancing tree frog!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam wrote:

because the highway code saye's you should give way to buses they take the piss [chin the tosser] Laughing
Jam
Forum Fascist
Forum Fascist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost again wrote:
because the highway code saye's you should give way to buses they take the piss [chin the tosser] Laughing

Laughing

the ironic thing is, in town i generally always give way to busses! but in this case I took offence to him starting to signal about 1/4 of a mile away from the slip road on the other side... he could've waited 5 seconds without needing to slow down at all while I went past.. I don't know

c'est la vie..
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHILLI wrote:
Mirror, signal, manoeuvre... after waiting to see if it is safe to do so.

i always thought it was mirror signal mirror manouvre? Confused
CuseCuse
King of the Nerds
King of the Nerds

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i was told aswell, on the bike anyway, in car i was told just MSM.. maybe thats where the trouble is Razz
Windy
Just call me Janice...
Just call me Janice...

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh tell me about it. Muppets on the A13, especially vans. Driving along with their indicators on, too busy programming their satnavs to look out for bikes.

Jam - I also have my finger covering the horn just in case.
Kzed
Cyclist
Cyclist

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always assume everybody else is an idiot, then do what you have to. Works for me! Very Happy
They're too safe in their little cocoon to worry about bikers. Move in front of them at the lights, do a massive burn out and then pull away leaving them in a cloud of smoke. Then they'll be pissing everybody else off. Laughing
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BMW driving cnut in Brighton who cut in front of me on the r'bout at Madeira drive said it was ok as he'd indicated... Yeah after he'd sliced in front.... wnaker Evil or Very Mad

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy Ninja wrote:
I also have my finger covering the horn just in case.

dont tell me our chuff suffers from the ol premature pot shot Shocked Laughing
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolling on the floor laughing rolling on the floor laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: