BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here I come, ready or not!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What dooes indicating mean?
I am about to change lanes..
30%
 30%  [ 9 ]
I would like to change lanes..
70%
 70%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 30

Va Va Oops
Va Va Yes yes yes yes!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a confession to make ...when approaching junctions and roundabouts in slow-moving traffic I sometimes fail to indicate Embarrassed

...it's not cos I've forgotten

...or cos I'm lazy

...it's cos I can't reach to operate the indicator switch if I'm having to use the clutch Embarrassed ...so, unless I can flick it on well in advance, or get up enough momentum to quickly let go of the throttle and do it with my right hand, I have to trust that other road users will take the CH approach and take their cue from my position in the road...

some do. some don't. some get REALLY ANGRY!!! (apologies to the latter as I get cross with car drivers who don't indicate).

Does anybody else find this difficult?
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope......and frankly i reckon there are probably enough aftermarket clutch levers with different profiles for you to be able to do something about it ....................maybe the infamous inci could prescribe something Wink
Baloo

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Va Va Oops wrote:
I've got a confession to make ...when approaching junctions and roundabouts in slow-moving traffic I sometimes fail to indicate Embarrassed

...or cos I'm lazy

...it's cos I can't reach to operate the indicator switch if I'm having to use the clutch Embarrassed ...so, unless I can flick it on well in advance, or get up enough momentum to quickly let go of the throttle and do it with my right hand, I have to trust that other road users will take the CH approach and take their cue from my position in the road...

some do. some don't. some get REALLY ANGRY!!! (apologies to the latter as I get cross with car drivers who don't indicate).

Not me. Perhaps your timing may be out. How early are you changing gear or how late are you indicating? How many times do yo uneed to change gear as you are reach the corner?
BlueRR
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Va Va Oops wrote:

...or cos I'm lazy

I've not had this problem, and I've got pretty tiny hands.... usually I indicate then change gear, or vice versa ... not normally trying to indicate and holding in the clutch .... Confused
Va Va Oops

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcBC wrote:
Va Va Oops wrote:

...or cos I'm lazy

Not me. Perhaps your timing may be out. How early are you changing gear or how late are you indicating? How many times do yo uneed to change gear as you are reach the corner?

Ah Embarrassed ...may be nearest the truth ...I think....

I'm mostly talking only about times when you are having to crawl up to the junction/roundabout ...when (at least on my bike) I feel that I need to sit somewhere inbetween first and second gear ...so I'd like to say that I'm in second, clutch balanced, and using the back break (as taught when learning) ..but, in truth, a lot of the time, I'm probably down in first and over-utilising the clutch Embarrassed ready to either stick my feet down or slip up into second and go..

Don't believe I ever turn without using the clutch (BlueRR) Confused

And I replaced my clutch lever with an adjustable one just after I got the bike (Slappy) ...I like it how it is ..Kai changed it last week and it scared the pants off me for a few days!! Hair Raising

As per (MBC) specifics...

1. Perhaps your timing may be out. ...could well be set a bit low, but I don't understand the relevance

2 How early are you changing gear or how late are you indicating?

a) depends on speed of traffic in front of me and b) depends on whether there are any other side roads between me and the junction/roundabout/turn

3 How many times do you need to change gear as you are reach the corner?

depends on the approach speed, the surrounding traffic, the approaching traffic, etc, etc...

Don't mean to sound arsey ...think maybe I could be missing something that I don't know that I'm missing???? ...but I still think that the clutch/brake/throttle thing is a good idea when approaching a turn ...and I was hoping to hear that everyone else did this without any problems ...cos that might mean that when I get my scaphoid fixed I won't have a problem either..

...confused now...
Baloo

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps your timing may be out. ...could well be set a bit low, but I don't understand the relevance

VVO, I meant the timing of when you are approaching a corner and changing gear or indicating! Laughing Not the ignition timing.

It may be you are doing one or the other too early or too late. It is not a criticism, just a thought as you seem to be in an unusual place.

Changing indication with you right hand? Shocked That is an interesting, if not the wisest of solutions.
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Changing indication with you right hand? That is an interesting, if not the wisest of solutions"........sounds downright fucking dangerous to me!
Jam
Forum Fascist
Forum Fascist

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless of course you're talking about modifying the switchgear to put the indicator switch on the right....? Wink

Chap at madiera only has 1 arm.. he must manage somehow!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't BMW's have indicators on the left & right bars?

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Firecracker
Mad Squirrel Lady
Mad Squirrel Lady

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlapheadBandit© wrote:
CHILLI wrote:
Mirror, signal, manoeuvre... after waiting to see if it is safe to do so.

i always thought it was mirror signal mirror manouvre? Confused

I find it interesting to note the cultural differences between the US & the UK on this.

In the UK, it's as Chilli says: Mirror, signal, manoeuvre - you check that it's clear, then signal your intention.

In the US (or at least CA where I grew up), it's the opposite: SMOG - Signal, Mirror, Over-the-shoulder, Go - you signal your intention first, then proceed when it's safe to do so.

Subtle difference, but matters hugely in the UK as to whether you'll be perceived as polite or aggressive.
AJ
©Gok Wan
©Gok Wan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is SO wrong. Bit like the US policy on Carbon Emissions.
wildman
"Fluffy"

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any indication of intention is better than none I find. It's all well and good saying look at road positioning etc. but what the hell do ya do when they are in left hand lane at a roundabout and then take 3rd exit (right turn) without any indication whatsoever? Like the cnut in the Range Rover I was stuck behind on my way home from work tonight! He did the self same thing on no less than 2 roundabouts before I could get past. If this was an isolated incident I wouldn't be mentioning it by the way.
Always fecking amazes me that so many late plated "Prestige" cars have non-functioning indicators!

Anyone know of any ESP training courses locally?
kaifish
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildman wrote:
Any indication of intention is better than none I find. It's all well and good saying look at road positioning etc. but what the hell do ya do when they are in left hand lane at a roundabout and then take 3rd exit (right turn) without any indication whatsoever? Like the cnut in the Range Rover I was stuck behind on my way home from work tonight! He did the self same thing on no less than 2 roundabouts before I could get past. If this was an isolated incident I wouldn't be mentioning it by the way.
Always fecking amazes me that so many late plated "Prestige" cars have non-functioning indicators!

had the exact oposite today, had someone move from the right hand lane cut across me to exit the roundabout luckily i was hanging back because he wasnt indicating (thought he was going strait on) but had to jump on the brakes !!!

(if i spelt anything wrong i dont care)
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildman wrote:

a very valid point steve and frankly if im late with indication and feel ive dropped someone in the shit behind ill use the old fashioned method of sticking a limb out .............strange how drivers still seem to take more notice of an arm hanging out than a light flashing.
cant answer for the cnuts in cars tho it should be a pointable offence to not indicate
kaifish
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive put (on the poll ) 'im about to change lanes' because thats what i asume when i see someone indicating!!!

(if i spelt anything wrong i dont care)
AJ
©Gok Wan
©Gok Wan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAN I ALSO RAISE THE FACT THAT CAR DRIVERS CONSISTENTLY FAIL TO SEE GSXR K6+ MIRROR-MOUNTED INDICATORS ... AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN - OH FUCK!

(Dunc - nice to fwd to Steve/Sarah, as this is a mad problem I'v'e never experienced on any other bike)

PLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
wildman
"Fluffy"

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cos they are on the mirrors. Although I am sure you know that. Problem is that 'cos they are in a different place to normal they just don't see 'em. Would probably help if they were looking in the first place of course Confused

Wonder if the Blackbird is the same?
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as said before ...whack a mitt out an i bet ya problems halve
AJ
©Gok Wan
©Gok Wan

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on... (Monty Python moment)... we're bikers, so we SEE further ahead, we DO further ahead, and we FLIP YOU OFF further ahead. Ta ta, sorted. What was the question?
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pan's not a problem tho', so must be you................................ Laughing
wildman
"Fluffy"

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's 'cos compared to a pan, a Gixxer is bloody microscopic mate Laughing
AJ
©Gok Wan
©Gok Wan

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - I feel I HAVE to stick a limb out left on the slip from A23/South Lane in fear of some myopic Korean in a Tank twatting me from behind on the turn (as if it would make a difference - they shouldn't mostly not have licences (PLOD! CLEAN UP THIS TOWN!))
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: