BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does raising a hand excuse a SMIDSY?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does a driver (or rider) raising their hand to apologise for nearly punting you off grant them forgiveness?
No they should be burnt at the stake immediately (but only after I've taken their mirror off with my boot!!)
30%
 30%  [ 8 ]
Yes we all make mistakes and they might learn from it
69%
 69%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 26

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Does raising a hand excuse a SMIDSY? Reply with quote

Does a driver (or rider Razz ) raising their hand to apologise for nearly punting you off grant them forgiveness?

Vote & discuss...

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AJ
©Gok Wan
©Gok Wan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fair poll. There is a halfway ground. I was a bit naughty today (in order to avoid someone else's interesting line), but not dangerously.. but then later on - on the way home - someone else was murderously dangerous (not on the Wacky run).

It's a tough call - I tend to forget about it unless I'm off and have some insurance money due - otherwise it just boils yer piss for months on end.

Summary biker justice is a nice idea tho.
Baloo

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having almost taken out a lady on a crossing yesterday whilst in a car; yes. I genuinley had not seen her.
This does not apply to bus drivers though. One deliberately pulled out on me yesterday.
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on wether your still alive/consious to see it........
ardee
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided they didn't actually knock you off the bike then yes. At least they have noticed that they made a mistake. To me the scariest thing is how many people don't even notice the result of their actions.
andi
Polishes his nuts
Polishes his nuts

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ardee wrote:
Provided they didn't actually knock you off the bike then yes. At least they have noticed that they made a mistake. To me the scariest thing is how many people don't even notice the result of their actions.

Worse still are the ones that nearly wipe you out then take offence when you toot or shake your head at them Sad .
doh1990
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we all make mistakes sometimes it seems if you are the one appologising..then its ok..but if someone does it to you they are a Wnker. Although if someone nearly takes me out and doesnt show that they actualy have seen me then i get even more pissed off.
Mad Squirrel Lady
Mad Squirrel Lady

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am far more forgiving of someone who cuts me up & apologises for their mistake than I am of those who refuse to admit they're wrong.

The stuff that makes me angry for ages:
- People who hold their hand up to 'thank' me for letting them in, when in fact, they bullied their way in front of me & left me no choice but to back off
- People who do something stupid, then actually have the cheek to gesticulate at me like it's my fault! Grrrr! Happens very rarely, but it does happen. Had a cnut cut straight across me at the Esher Green junction 'cause he didn't see the give way line on his side. No excuse for it - I was in the cage doing the posted 30mph cos I know that intersection is a nightmare. He figured it all out eventually and did an emergency stop, but came to rest in the middle of the intersection. Fortunately, I saw it developing so was able to brake early & stay well out of his path. He was furious at me, the w*nker...
Biker-Spawn
"Magneto"

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking the middle ground, it depends on what they've done. If they've blatantly seen me before the offense, then lifted a hand afterwards...I'm still going to be furious (and yeah that's happened a few times). But apologising when they've made a genuine mistake does tend to calm me down some, at least they realised and apologised.

Like others said, it's the ones who don't notice or act like it was your fault that piss me off.

However...take their mirror off and burn 'em anyway, it'll make the roads safer. Sad thing is they most likely won't learn from it, even if they realise it was them who made the mistake.

If you can't get it going with bungee cords and gaffa tape, it's serious.
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah good idea ...lets remove the drivers side mirror so he go on his merry way and cant see the next rider about to pass an can pull out an kill that poor bastid eh.
sorry folks but after giving this a little thought i think it is better to re- arrange the side panels with the boot Wink
AJ
©Gok Wan
©Gok Wan

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that Wink
Flipper
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it can calm the situation a tad - had a number of those types of misses over the years and it has make a difference to how I have reacted.
It's not good to ride angry.
Firecracker
Mad Squirrel Lady
Mad Squirrel Lady

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Flipper; letting myself get angry only hurts me, not them. And extracting vengeance (however good it feels) rarely teaches anyone anything. Doesn't do much for the public's opinion of bikers either.
Jay1
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with most of what everyone else has said. If someone genuinely hasn't seen me and doesn't take me out, but appologises, then fair enough. I'm not perfect and have made mistakes before.

If someone deliberately pulls into a gap that isn't there, or bullies their way in, then waves, it winds me up no end and they get a wnker sign as I go passed or in their rear view mirror.

If they pull out or cut me up and don't acknowlege it or don't see me at all they get a horn a big rev of the engine and a wnkr sign.

So far haven't kicked any cars and don't plan too, but sometimes the red mist can drop. I tend to be calmer and more forgiving on the bike than I am in the cage though, maybe because I'm spending most of my time laughing at cage drivers sitting in traffic, which cheers me up Smile
Scrappy
Biggus' whachamacallit
Biggus' whachamacallit

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done it twice. Last time I did it I got a suspended sentence for my troubles. In the end it's just not worth the trouble. If they take action you turn in to the bad guy.

+1
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrappy wrote:
Done it twice. Last time I did it I got a suspended sentence for my troubles. In the end it's just not worth the trouble. If they take action you turn in to the bad guy.

rather be the bad guy than the dead guy an maybe that dented door will educate at least one person
Scrappy
Biggus' whachamacallit
Biggus' whachamacallit

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the whole point is if you are in a position where you can take their wing mirror off, the near death moment has obviously passed.

Anyway treat others etc etc Smile

+1
ScattyMare
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
Va Va Oops
Va Va Yes yes yes yes!!!!
Va Va Yes yes yes yes!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would always forgive a genuine mistake - even the bloke who ran into the back of me at traffic lights recently (mind you, being reasonable with him paid off and I wasn't out of pocket Wink )

What gets me cross are people who don't see you because they aren't looking - you know the type - owners of the road - act first, look later - and the closest you get to recognition that they just did something stoopid is a smirk (more likely you just get a dismissive ignorance)...

..and plonkers who deliberately block The Motorcycle Lane in traffic jams Evil or Very Mad
Guy M8
Trials Rider
Trials Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good think to admit you ballsed up. It dosen't excuse bad driving or riding, but it can calm the situation!

Old & Slower but Cruisin' Happily!
Biking is like sex...you can do it on you own OK, with someone else is better, but in a big group can be awesome....
PM me for facebook
Biker-Spawn
"Magneto"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLAPPY© wrote:
yeah good idea ...lets remove the drivers side mirror so he go on his merry way and cant see the next rider about to pass an can pull out an kill that poor bastid eh.
sorry folks but after giving this a little thought i think it is better to re- arrange the side panels with the boot Wink

You're right, that's a much better idea! Laughing

Or just burn them...

On a serious note, I tend to opt for the good ole boxhill salute, or noise polution down their lug'ole.

Va Va Oops wrote:
..and plonkers who deliberately block The Motorcycle Lane in traffic jams Evil or Very Mad

Agreed, winds me up when they try that too. Doesn't usually stop me getting past them though, and if they have a window open they get a handful of revs for their troubles.

Guy M8
Trials Rider
Trials Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But also I acknowledge those who obviously move over and make space.

Biking is like sex...you can do it on you own OK, with someone else is better, but in a big group can be awesome....
PM me for facebook
Biker-Spawn
"Magneto"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy M8 wrote:
But also I acknowledge those who obviously move over and make space.

Certainly, it's like dealing with children. Reward when they do well, punish when they fk up. Laughing

Guy M8
Trials Rider
Trials Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes....!!!

PM me for facebook
Guy M8
Trials Rider
Trials Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... what's a SMIDSY??
Confused

PM me for facebook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: