BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advanced Training - Don't be one of the 20%
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you need to learn more about how to ride your Bike?
Yes - You can never learn too much
86%
 86%  [ 13 ]
Nah - I have the experience and know it all already
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Advanced Training - Don't be one of the 20% Reply with quote

I have seen a few people on the forum who are interested / have gone for Advanced training and having looked up the cost thought it might be an idea to put up a couple of cheaper (but just as good if not better) alternatives that will also drop your insurance costs as well as keeping you alive.

Both the IAM and RoSPA will teach you how to ride you bike to get the most out of it and both organize touring holidays and track days etc so you can bet the members are not Boring Old Farts

Both organisations teach police riding techniques based on Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Riders Handbook

Both the IAM and RoSPA cost between £110 - £140 for an unlimited number of Observed / Training Rides and that price includes the cost of the Advanced Test and a years membership to both your local group and the IAM / RoSPA.

Click here for the IAM Advanced Motorcycle training website

Click here for the full list of IAM Local Groups

http://www.kamg.org.uk/ (I belong to this group and we meet at Brands Hatch)

http://www.wvam.org.uk/ (this is another group based close to Boxhill)

Click Here for the RoSPA Advanced Motorcycle Training training website

Click Here for the full list of RoSPA Local Groups

http://www.mvsroadar.org.uk/ (a RoSPA group based Close to Boxhill)

Its always best to do what you can to make sure you are not one of the 20%

Last edited by boudicas on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:42 pm; edited 4 times in total
V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Very Happy

Was talking today about joining one of these groups but just not sure yet which one

wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my opinion.

The ones I know ARE boring old farts.

IAM are basically a bunch of Police wannabees, and once you pass to their standard, you then become an observer, and then possibly an examiner etc, thereby perpetuating their meagre standards.

ROSPA on the other hand re-test on a regular basis, and seem to have a much better reputation.

If you REALLY want to learn how to ride better, your best bet would be to talk to Rapid Training.
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wivvy's dad wrote:
This is my opinion.

The ones I know ARE boring old farts.

IAM are basically a bunch of Police wannabees, and once you pass to their standard, you then become an observer, and then possibly an examiner etc, thereby perpetuating their meagre standards.

ROSPA on the other hand re-test on a regular basis, and seem to have a much better reputation.

So said the guy who posted the following on another thread http://www.boxhill.co.uk/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17921

wivvy's dad wrote:
The only thing I would add is to actually look "beyond" the bend limit point, even if you can't actually see beyond it. This trains your brain to extend your zone of safety. Look for the roadside trees/bushes/telegraph poles etc, which way do they go?

No more, I normally charge for this sort of stuff.

Somehow I dont think that WD's response is motivated by anything other than potential loss of business.

FYI - The IAM do not have internal examiners to test associates on the Advanced Riding Test but rather its the same serving and retired Police Class 1 riders and instructors that test both the IAM and RoSPA Riders although the RoSPA scheme does require you to be re-tested every 3 years. I personally think this system of re-testing should be adopted by the IAM. Also, to be and an Observer in the IAM you have to be retested every 3 years just as in RoSPA.

The RoSPA Gold Certificate is recognized by the DSA as the highest civilian riding qualification and most of the Riding instuctors I know boast that they have achieved it in their advertising.

I'm not gonna bother responding to the "Police wannabees" comment as its purpose is probably based in trying to stop people from going to either of these non-profit making charities to improve their riding skills rather than spending hundreds of pounds to an overpriced riding school for a day or two of tuition with no qualification / certificate at the end of it. (Of Course Im not including the Enhanced Rider Certificate scheme that is now in place)

But then - Thats my opinion !!

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.bmw-club.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10641&highlight=
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen the post but dont see the connection.

However, both the IAM and RoSPA follow these core rules

1) To ride as safe as possible whilst making the best possible progress in all traffic situations
2) To Ride within the law at all times
3) To be considerate to other road users and be an example that is to be followed.
4) To enjoy riding Motorbikes in all situations.

Last edited by boudicas on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
wildman
"Fluffy"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD, is that right? Do you teach advanced riding? No? didn't think so.
However, if you did. I would expect that I would learn a hell of a lot more riding with you than with any IAM group out there.

To my shame I actually considered joining the IAM at one point. It was just after I passed my test and I was all eager to learn more Smile Luckily for me they have/had this little rule that says no motorcycle under 200cc. I was still on my 125 at the time. A derestricted 125 that was more than capable of breaking every speed limit in the country I might add.
Made no difference to those jumped up twats though. I was pissed off at the time but now I am rather glad they wouldn't let me join their little "gang"
After all it would seem that I ain't the only one to hold such a low opinion of them.
V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wivvy's dad wrote:
http://forum.bmw-club.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10641&highlight=

Found that interesting reading

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that any extra training is worthwhile.

Trouble is that the people who stick out from the "IAM/RoSPA" lot are the really annoying ones. I have ridden with many IAM types and quite honestly been bored off my b*ll*cks riding with most of them, there are of course notable exceptions, but there are very few people on this planet who I find more irritating than the ram it down your throat holier than thou art IAM types - Just being a member of the IAM does not make you a good motorcyclist!!!!

I would probably go RoSPa if I were to go to any form of advanced training. This sort of discussion has come up before, one of the points raised has been the failing to teach "machine control", which is as important as any other observation/roadcraft training. Observation is nothing if your braking etc is not up to par if required to be used in anger...

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Baloo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done Rapid Training and it is to be highly recommended. I did it twice, once in Oxfordshire and once nr Croydon. The instructure there was a former instructor at the Nurburgring. Laughing

Other than Firecracker, I do not believe I have not met an "interesting" IAM / Rosper person. Perhaps I only meet the odd ones.
GT
Expert CnutCnut
Expert CnutCnut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcBC wrote:
I have done Rapid Training and it is to be highly recommended. I did it twice, once in Oxfordshire and once nr Croydon. The instructure there was a former instructor at the Nurburgring. Laughing

Other than Firecracker, I do not believe I have not met an "interesting" IAM / Rosper person. Perhaps I only meet the odd ones.

You should join then Marc you'll fit in well! (sorry was in response to the chav remark, bastid Laughing )

(\__/)
(='.'=)
Baloo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matttherat wrote:
MarcBC wrote:

You should join then Marc you'll fit in well! (sorry was in response to the chav remark, bastid Laughing )

touche! Laughing (I don't know how to accent the "e")
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcBC wrote:

[Alt Gr] + e gives you é

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lil Mush
Silent but violent
Silent but violent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
MarcBC wrote:

[Alt Gr] + e gives you é
2 Thumbs up
Silent but violent
Silent but violent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Agree that any extra training is worthwhile.

Trouble is that the people who stick out from the "IAM/RoSPA" lot are the really annoying ones. I have ridden with many IAM types and quite honestly been bored off my b*ll*cks riding with most of them, there are of course notable exceptions, but there are very few people on this planet who I find more irritating than the ram it down your throat holier than thou art IAM types

And here I was, thinking seeking advanced training was about gaining skills, not meetin interesting people! How silly of me! Wink

BTW, did Rapid Training yesterday and was pretty good, except the guy didn't manage to stop the rain! Now, I would love to do one-to-one but it's sooo expensive!! Anyway, who says I will have a licence to ride? Laughing
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Mush wrote:
And here I was, thinking seeking advanced training was about gaining skills, not meetin interesting people! How silly of me! Wink

I don't think you understood my point there... Wasn't talking about being bored by their conversation... And it is of course a generalisation, you tend only to remember those who stick out, and unfortunately those who "stick out" generally do so because they are twats!

Lil Mush wrote:
BTW, did Rapid Training yesterday and was pretty good, except the guy didn't manage to stop the rain! Now, I would love to do one-to-one but it's sooo expensive!!

I might have a crack at Rapid Training, if I can book a dry day Razz

Lil Mush wrote:
Anyway, who says I will have a licence to ride? Laughing

awww Hug

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Trouble is that the people who stick out from the "IAM/RoSPA" lot are the really annoying ones.

Yep - any large group of people suffers from its bunch of boring / know it all twats - I agree with you there totally

biggus wrote:
but there are very few people on this planet who I find more irritating than the ram it down your throat holier than thou art IAM types - Just being a member of the IAM does not make you a good motorcyclist!!!!

Again, I agree wholeheartedly. I hope I don't come across as a holier than thou idiot as I KNOW I have a LOT more to learn and don't consider myself better / superior to anyone.

biggus wrote:
one of the points raised has been the failing to teach "machine control", which is as important as any other observation/roadcraft training

Again, the perfect point. FWIW - The IAM Group I belong to makes it a mandatory part of the training to attend machine control days for both slow and fast speed control. Much more in-depth than the stuff you get on a DAS course.

I never said (and never will say) that either organization is perfect but the advanced training it is cheap, effective and of a very high standard.

wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope - you come across as a holier than thou idiot
Tinks
Fairy Grandmoderator
Fairy Grandmoderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a day with theses a few years back http://www.survivalskills.clara.net/index.htm
and loved it.

But i didnt learn anything i couldn't have learned riding with James/ Matt/Mouse.

The 1st Lady of the forum.
Flipper
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it improves your ride then go for it!! I agree with WD about IAM peeps - heard loads of good tings about ROSPA.

So long as people get referesher training then it's got to be a good thing. Even Martyn and Matt will have an annual assessments to continue in their jobs.
GT
Expert CnutCnut
Expert CnutCnut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
If it improves your ride then go for it!! I agree with WD about IAM peeps - heard loads of good tings about ROSPA.

So long as people get referesher training then it's got to be a good thing. Even Martyn and Matt will have an annual assessments to continue in their jobs.

No we don't, Very Happy

(\__/)
(='.'=)
Flipper
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matttherat wrote:
Flipper wrote:

No we don't, Very Happy

That surprises me, TVP and even my own dept have yearly assessments
GT
Expert CnutCnut
Expert CnutCnut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
matttherat wrote:
Flipper wrote:

No we don't, Very Happy

And how many peeps does each organisation have exactly?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
Flipper
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matttherat wrote:
Flipper wrote:
matttherat wrote:
Flipper wrote:

No we don't, Very Happy

And how many peeps does each organisation have exactly?

TVP ? no idea though it's obviously going to be smaller than ther Met - our little dept only have about a dozen riders Embarrassed
GT
Expert CnutCnut
Expert CnutCnut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there in lies the problem mate, would love to have a day off brushing up, we all need it!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: