BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project Bike
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Bobber Style R1
Love it
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Hate it
53%
 53%  [ 17 ]
Nice work but not my cuppa
31%
 31%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 32

Biker-Spawn
"Magneto"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turd pollisher wrote:
BarryH wrote:
Ok back peadal a bit here. Look at the style of the bike and the demigraphic of the forum. Its odds on that the "style" of the bike would not appeal to users here.

Much the same as if you posted pictures of a sports bike bedecked in bling on a forum of chop riders it would equally get slated. Thats the aesthetic things covered.

Engineering side of things is a different matter. I look at it and think I wouldn't have done it that way.
For me the rear end needs totally ripping off and something else being fabricated.

The header tank for the rad needs sorting to give a smoother line and the body work, what there is left of it, needs sorting to get rid of the "chopped off" look.

The basis is there it just needs a bit of further thought

sorry guy's...after visiting box hill over the last 15yrs( lived and worked in epsom) i never thought of it as a dedicated sports bike site...i'll just nip out and buy another new all shining R1 and stop been silly eh!..obviosly everyone on here is a gp rider and you all buy a brand new bike every six months.....thought not....i think the "Its odds on that the "style" of the bike would not appeal to users here." is great ...i'd like to see you say that to every one who is visiting the hill on a custom over the sumer... Laughing

Note: "Users here"

He did not say, "Everyone who visits box hill."

I think it is quite well known that the majority of users on this forum own sports/tourer/road type bikes, not custom choppers and the like. So yes, odds on that the majority here on the forum won't like it, though may, like myself, appreciate that it is pretty well engineered (aside from one or two things Baz pointed out).

Point is, the comment was made in reference to the forum, whereas you are now taking it out of context to mean everyone who visits Box Hill. I'm sure that if you were to ask everyone visiting the hill on a custom, you would find more people who like the bike. Equally, I am sure you would find people visiting the hill on custom bikes who would NOT like the bike.

And if you were to ask everyone who visits the hill, regardless of what they ride, you might actually get a fair representation of how much the bike is liked by the general population. Majority of the population on the boxhill.co.uk forum doesn't like it.

Opinions are like arsholes.

If you can't get it going with bungee cords and gaffa tape, it's serious.
AJ
©Gok Wan
©Gok Wan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athos has a Trumpet. Not my cuppa - but certain ppl here would tend to say "it's the rider, not the bike" - Jam and LSD on theirs vs. 1ks should be proof enough
Biker-Spawn
"Magneto"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bonnie rise over the ocean,
My Bonnie rise over the sea
My Bonnie rise over the ocean,
Bring back my Bonnie to me...

Kremmen has a Rocket. I got nothin against custom riders or custom bikes, just not my cuppa. As said in previous posts, nice work on the bike from an engineering perspective, but I think it's fugly. Rather ride a 50cc scooter.

Now, the Bonnie is nice...and the Rocket ain't bad. They both look Cool but I wouldn't want one.

My main beef with Turds latest post was taking Bazza's comment and generalising it to the whole of Box Hill, rather than just this forum. However, I have no objection if he wishes to do a survey over the next few weeks of opinions of people visiting Box Hill and then post the results here, but that's up to him. Wink

Va Va Oops
Va Va Yes yes yes yes!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss V wrote:
As said before... not my cup of tea, however it is a toiled over piece of work that someone has put time & money into...

Sad

Thought more people would have had this kind of understanding and would have at least acknowledged the work, perhaps offering a bit of constructive criticism.

Sadly, all I achieved was getting a friend's months of hard work slated.

Feel like a right twat now.

Sorry TP Sad
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think your missing the point Va Va. Slated was probably the wrong word. "Dislike the style" would probably have been a better phrase to use.

I'm not adverse to a customized bike. It how far do you want to take it and how much money do you want to spend. Theres been some really nice custom projects which started life as a sports/tourer type run of the mill bike. For example

Obviously thats had loads of time and money poured into it with a lot of custom fabricated parts. I pointed out the bits of polished turds bike that I thought I would have done differently, but thats my ideas on it and not his.
He did the design/work on the bike so its individual to him which I see as the point to cutomizing. To make it unique to the owner with their ideas and styling. You can't expect everyone to like the finished bike as its not to their taste. A point which I tried to make earlier........
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Va Va Oops wrote:

Thought more people would have.... understanding and would have at least acknowledged the work, perhaps offering a bit of constructive criticism.

Whoa Whoaa there Dapple. Sorry Vava if I’ve added to the misery again.

Exactly as Miss V said, there is a lot of hard work, skill and Money has obviously gone into the Bike and there is a hell of a lotta skill that TP has that I (and many others on the forum) will never have. FULL respect for that.

Im sure the bike has the speed, handling and power that TP says it has but its just not to the taste of many of us here on. After all - if we all had the same taste then more of us would be riding scooters Homer

I don’t really think that anyone has intentionally slated the bike but a few of the shorter worded answers could be misunderstood that way. Believe me, I've fallen into that pit more than once as everyone knows and as a result caused many an argument on the forum. But for me – the valium is finally starting to work Smile

FWIW - I think that a lot of skill, patience and dedication went into the bike but the look appears unbalanced. If asked ( and I think to did ask us all) it could do with a different shaped tank (longer and thinner), heavier / thicker handlebars (possibly Chrome) so that its closer in lok to the forks, a bigger more prominent headlight and the reg plate should be taken off the side and mounted beneath the seat above the back wheel. But then - what do I know, I ride a Burgman Smile

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
Lil Mush
Silent but violent
Silent but violent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Va Va Oops wrote:
Miss V wrote:
As said before... not my cup of tea, however it is a toiled over piece of work that someone has put time & money into...

Sad

Thought more people would have had this kind of understanding and would have at least acknowledged the work, perhaps offering a bit of constructive criticism.

Sorry TP Sad
Don't worry VaVa, as you know, not everyone has the same view point as Barry's.

I can't say I find the bike aestetically pleasing, but I refrained from expanding on my view as I am not known for my tact and didn't want to offend TP. Why? Because someone who spend that long working on customising a bike clearly has it to heart!! I think many peeps haven't commented for the same reasons.

You should know by now that peeps not posting doesn't mean they are ignoring the posts, just that they are choosing not to get involved in this specific thread.

Good luck with the bike TP.
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of the adversion for these specials/streetfightered bikes comes from the realisation that this probably started as a crashed R1 that someone could not afford to repair.

All R1s are pretty decent bikes and some of us would think doing that to one is sacrilige.

195mph - I don't think so!

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Biker-Spawn
"Magneto"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I said I appreciate it's had some damn good work done to it... Sad

I voted "Not my cuppa" but I still think it's good. Like the plate being on the side, so disagree there Boud. However tank and tail could be more streamlined. Kinda like the bars how they are, would have to see it with bars as Boud suggested and bars as they are before making a decision.

TP, you do good work mate. Great craftsmanship there. If you'd gone to work to streetfighter a bike I'd probably cream myself... Wink Laughing

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway could be worse, you could have a pan Very Happy Embarrassed

Could I have done 14,000 miles on the R1 bobber since May as I have done on my Pan? Answer to that is almost definitely a "no".

Would I be ashamed of it if it was mine/my work - no Smile

Would I be proud of it if it were mine/my work? - yes Smile

As the lamented Mr Tickle once said "horses for courses" wise words indeed... Smile

P.S. If you want to race me on my Pan on it, bring it on... oh and the race will be 220 miles non stop - joke Wink Laughing

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"not everyone has the same view point as Barry's"

........why the hell single me out? I've not been offensive about it. Others have put across, in less words, their view on it. At least I put forward some construtive critique pointing out areas where I would have chosen to do a few things differently.
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you post up a poll and request comments, that's what you're going to get.

Comments and opinions.

That's what you've got.

Oh, and I'll race you for 200 miles non-stop.
southernspeed
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Va Va Oops wrote:
Miss V wrote:

Sad

Sorry TP Sad

Sorry but you asked what we thought, so I said. Oh and before your mot don't forget some indicators, rear reflector and exhaust.

www.carshaltonmcc.com
www.surreysportsmotorcycles.com
Va Va Oops

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
"not everyone has the same view point as Barry's"

........why the hell single me out? I've not been offensive about it. Others have put across, in less words, their view on it. At least I put forward some construtive critique pointing out areas where I would have chosen to do a few things differently.

Actually, I was thinking more of the very short answers Baz - not yours ..or others who went on to expand on their opinion. I was thinking of the ones that really didn't seem to respect the guys efforts enough to even say what they didn't like or why.

I just wanted to apologise to the bloke for not having had the common sense to realise how many people might not consider how they might feel if it was their work being commented on. (Oh - and I didn't say anything about people who chose not to post anything, Mush - in fact, I wish that some who did post stuff like "Erk", "In a word - crap", and "I feel sick" had simply chosen not to comment at all either. It may be honest, but it is rude.)

(I am entitled to my guilt as much as everyone is entitled to their opinion).
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes allsorts I spose !
HCMS
Slack Alice/Gay Martian
Slack Alice/Gay Martian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I didn't know that this chap was a friend of yours and that any comments made would get back to him, so, sorry about that, had I known I may have chosen my word more carefully. "Erk" is honestly what I thought when I saw the bike and "Erk" is probably what I would say at 195mph. Not my kind of thing both the sports bike side and the bobber side. I stand by my "Erk" but I am sorry for any offence it may have caused. Smile

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

100 Mile Cycle for Macmillan on 4th August 13. Please donate if you can!
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/PeterSnell
craigs23
Drag Racer
Drag Racer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it. That's just my opinion, it's just not a kind of bike I could see myself riding. I enjoy project bikes - but ones that are more based on restoration work and modifcations that benefit my riding, or ability/comfort/confidence to ride.

If you like it, if it makes you happy every time you ride the thing, fair enough. I respect that, bike projects can be a very personal thing. That's what it's meant for right?
Va Va Oops

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems I am 'let off' so far as guilt goes....

...It would appear that I didn't quite 'get it' and it was supposed to 'piss people off' Confused .......I don't think I will ever totally understand men Confused (...although I do love the wacky creations that surface at the Bol D'Or and I suppose that is somehing similar?????)

Anyway - someone obviously gets it more than I do (ooh err missus!) ...he's been asked to exhibition it at the Ally Pally this weekend...
Flipper
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did put "hate it" as one of the options Rolling Eyes
Va Va Oops

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
You did put "hate it" as one of the options Rolling Eyes

...so, .....maybe I DID 'get it' on some kind of subliminal level....

(that IS what you meant???? Laughing )
wildman
"Fluffy"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Hands up all those on here that have ridden a bike with monstrous ape hangers (I have so that's 1)
By monstrous I mean the kind where you have your hands pretty much level with or even higher than your head. That pretty much rules out anyone on a jap v twin harley wannabe type pos.

Now, hands up those that enjoyed the experience and actually felt in control (not me for a start)

I bet there aren't many in either category Smile

As for the 195 mph rolling on the floor laughing
Yeah sure, on a dyno. In the real world? Not a cat in hells chance.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, I am in the "Hate it" camp. Mainly because of the bars if I'm honest.
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildman wrote:
Right. Hands up all those on here that have ridden a bike with monstrous ape hangers (I have so that's 1)

Make that 2 if this counts....

I've stayed out of the debate...... curious to know how counter-steering would work?

To me, half of the appeal of a bobber would be a raspy sounding V Twin and some tassels to wear on a freeway in the states.

I, like many on here, admire Craig's handywork and I think his coments on this thread were pretty well on the nail..... You could never compare his attention to detail and honing of a focused sportsbike with an something like an R1 Bobber.....

The bars and rear don't work for me in the same way as Harley riders would say that the focused sports bike body doesn't work for them...... Wink
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an entirely different perspective, I didn't like the photography in the second set of pix, which is why my comment was "nice locomotive".

The photographer doesn't understand the concept of shallow depth of field to isolate the subject from the background, and so what you're left with is a series of angles and colours all fighting for your visual attention, when you should be looking at the nice non-shiny motorcycle.
Fencepost
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it had much done to other then whacking a set of ape hangers on, cutting off the back and giving it a re-spray. each to their own but it really don't do much for me.
turd pollisher
Cyclist
Cyclist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but i like it....cheers for the top welcome to the site by the way....wish my friend would of put up the pics of the dozens of racereps i've done instead...enjoy the summer....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: