BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

speed limits
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should speed limits changed with times?
Yes
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
No
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

doh1990
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: speed limits Reply with quote

Read an article in "EVO" magazine and there was a letter saying that speed limits should have times. "a 20mph limit outside a shcool is still applied (and enforced) in the small hours of the morning" etc...

just wonderd what people thaught

discuss..
©Gok Wan
©Gok Wan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a postwhore

Last edited by AJ on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Loco
Monkey With a Machine Gun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a postwhore
doh1990
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch...thaught this might start a heated discussion...
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - I think they should go up by 20% between 8pm and 9pm then down by 30% between 11 and 12. Then up 50% between midnight and 5am.

And that's before we get to weekends and public holidays.

If the limit is there then we need to get use to it - which means all hours of the day imho. Too often cage drivers are on auto pilot!!
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
Yep - I think they should go up by 20% between 8pm and 9pm then down by 30% between 11 and 12. Then up 50% between midnight and 5am.

Yeah......but.............VAT is now down to 15%
doh1990
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonder what fastride's veiw on this is...
Cyclist
Cyclist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think flipper needs a chill pil he aint fast cant even doge a bit fat blade lol i say weely in teh 20s give kids a show Very Happy
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FASTride wrote:
I think flipper needs a chill pil he aint fast cant even doge a bit fat blade lol i say weely in teh 20s give kids a show Very Happy

Flasher

Thud
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch touchy subject.

I don't think they should change based on times but I think it mght be an idea to change them based on weather conditions.

I'm prolly wrong but doesn't a couple of countries in the EU have speed limits that reduce by 10% in wet / icy conditions?

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
GT
Expert CnutCnut
Expert CnutCnut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vehicles and associated safety features have moved on but humans have not and this is probably why speed limits have not changed, in fact it is the opposite, all national limits in greater london have all been reduced and some resedential streets reduced to 20's.

Should limits be raised, motorways imo should be to come in line with the rest of europe, in fact i agree with how things are done in france and i think the majority of us that have travelled over there would agree, but i think it would be a pointless exercise here as there really is not enough distance between each village?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
southernspeed
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matttherat wrote:
Vehicles and associated safety features have moved on but humans have not and this is probably why speed limits have not changed, in fact it is the opposite, all national limits in greater london have all been reduced and some resedential streets reduced to 20's.

Should limits be raised, motorways imo should be to come in line with the rest of europe, in fact i agree with how things are done in france and i think the majority of us that have travelled over there would agree, but i think it would be a pointless exercise here as there really is not enough distance between each village?

Agreed. Plus one thing that really hacks me off, well several things, limits that are set low for no real reason that 'we' can see. Roads near me that have been 60 since I started riding 30 years ago are now 40, even 30s. The top of the A3 is 50, why? But what worries me is the 'auto pilot thing. People who do 40 whether it's a 30, 40, 50, 60 etc. The amount of times I've passed someone approaching Ockley where it's a 60, then I slow for the 30 limit through the village (just like we do in France, so why not here) then the idiot who was crawling along in the 60 zone overtakes me through the village!
OK starting to rant now. Yes, limits like 20s should be relaxed out of hours like they do in America, motorways definately need to go up to 80, some could be higher. And they need to stop protecting us from ourselves so much.

www.carshaltonmcc.com
www.surreysportsmotorcycles.com
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 70 mph National Speed Limit was introduced as a temporary measure in December 1965. It is often blamed on Barbara Castle, but at the time the Minister of Transport was Tom Fraser.

The reason given was a spate of serious accidents in foggy conditions, but it is often claimed that the MoT had been alarmed by AC Cars testing their latest Cobra on the M1 at speeds up to 180 mph.

It was confirmed as a permanent limit in 1967, by which time Barbara Castle (a non-driver) had become Minister of Transport.There was surprisingly little debate at the time: the fact that the average family car of the time could only just exceed 70 mph perhaps had something to do with this.

It should be noted that this limit applied to all previously "derestricted" roads, not only motorways.
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what the speed limits are set to no bugger will adhere to them..........
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
It doesn't matter what the speed limits are set to no bugger will adhere to them..........

....true dat
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a Troll anyway. I mean, come on, a poll about speed limits on a motorcycle forum,........please....
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matttherat wrote:

With average speeds travelling across London averaging 11mph some of the limits are becoming a bit irrelevant most of the day.

matttherat wrote:

I agree motorway limits should fall in line with Europe. Though once again average speeds are so much lower because of congestion these days.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Lil Mush
Silent but violent
Silent but violent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, this issue is part of a much wider one of over-policing.

In my opinion, the more you bind people with rules and restricitions, the less they feel responsible and accountable. Basically, they stop thinking for themselves and just follow... THAT in my opinion is far more dangerous.

And that's why you get some idiot driving at 30mph, despite some toddlers running on the edge of the pavement (oh but he's not breaking the speed limit). The same guy will be doing 70 in the right-hand lane on the mototrway (please note: still not breaking the speed limit!)

I come back to the fact that I'd rather think for myself, ie, judge my surroundings, conditions and adapt my driving/riding to suit than follow blindly some speed limit. And yeah, that's why I collect points... Rolling Eyes
"Magneto"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that speed limits should be changed with times, but not "raised" when it's quiet. More lowered when it's busy.

For example, in Wokingham there is a secondary school with a 40mph road outside it. That road, during school start and finish times, so 8am-9am and 3pm-4pm, I think should be a 20mph or 30mph.

Likewise, there's a primary school in Bracknell with a 30mph road outside. I think in that same time bracket this should be a 20mph.

On the M25 there is a variable limit, I agree with the principle of this but not the effect it has (drivers accelerating up to cameras then hammering the brakes). Also, limits are changed on M4 and M3 depending on conditions (can be 40, 50 or 60 depending on traffic, accidents etc). People tend to ignore those ones though... Embarrassed

Laughing

If you can't get it going with bungee cords and gaffa tape, it's serious.
Loco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue is not one of speed but driver inattention...

That said although the effectiveness of modern breaking systems has increased the mean HUMAN reaction time has not decreased!!

The problem is in the time it takes the brain to react to a potential hazard and then send the information then the body to react to the command... see how well you do then judge for your self...

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad some one has finally pointed that out.....gets slower as you get older too, does that mean we have an age related speed limit?

.........oh yeah 167 ms. better than average though I don't rate that test for the driving senario much. Only using one finger!
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Mush wrote:
For me, this issue is part of a much wider one of over-policing.

In my opinion, the more you bind people with rules and restricitions, the less they feel responsible and accountable. Basically, they stop thinking for themselves and just follow... THAT in my opinion is far more dangerous.

And that's why you get some idiot driving at 30mph, despite some toddlers running on the edge of the pavement (oh but he's not breaking the speed limit). The same guy will be doing 70 in the right-hand lane on the mototrway (please note: still not breaking the speed limit!)

I come back to the fact that I'd rather think for myself, ie, judge my surroundings, conditions and adapt my driving/riding to suit than follow blindly some speed limit.

+1

Last edited by boudicas on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Suzibabe
Vin Diesel
Vin Diesel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lil Mush in that it seems we are no longer able to think for ourselves and perhaps a majority of the population like the government to do their thinking for them - a lot of stupid laws coming in whether on speed or not.

Like others, I have seen perfectly good derestricted roads made into a 50 or 40 for no apparent reason ie not a built up area.

We have a primary school in our road and the limit is 20mph. People adhere to this in the school hours (they have no choice because of all the cars parked down the side) but outside of school hours people will go back to the normal 30 (or sometimes above).

Those people who speed without any consideration for others or the situation will always speed no matter what limit is posted.

I for one would like the limit to change based on times. Only because then I won't feel guilty about doing 30 in a 20 in the early hours of the morning!
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southernspeed wrote:

Yes, limits like 20s should be relaxed out of hours ..... motorways definately need to go up to 80...... And they need to stop protecting us from ourselves so much.

On thinking about it - Yep times should come into the equation

Loco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzibabe wrote:
I agree with Lil Mush in that it seems we are no longer able to think for ourselves and perhaps a majority of the population like the government to do their thinking for them - a lot of stupid laws coming in whether on speed or not.

Like others, I have seen perfectly good derestricted roads made into a 50 or 40 for no apparent reason ie not a built up area.

We have a primary school in our road and the limit is 20mph. People adhere to this in the school hours (they have no choice because of all the cars parked down the side) but outside of school hours people will go back to the normal 30 (or sometimes above).

Those people who speed without any consideration for others or the situation will always speed no matter what limit is posted.

I for one would like the limit to change based on times. Only because then I won't feel guilty about doing 30 in a 20 in the early hours of the morning!

The timed arguement does not stand up around schools.... these are schools and there is quite often after school events that go on AFTER hours - clubs, plays, sports games etc all vary in timings and you could still have a kid run out in front of you at 19.30 - 8pm! for me the biggest hazard around schools are the ridiculous 4X4/ child tanks that clearly should not be stuffed down already congested roads and badly parked (after about 1/2 hour) if anyone wants to know why the rush hour gets earlier and earlier, its because now it takes them all longer to park Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: