BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kevlar Jeans, Safe or Stupid?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kevlar Jeans, Safe or Stupid ?
Safe
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Stupid
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

Phoenix
'Phenis the tree hugger'
'Phenis the tree hugger'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Kevlar Jeans, Safe or Stupid? Reply with quote

I am not lookin at comparisons of different types. draggin', hood or whatever, nor am I looking for comparisons with top of the
range 2nd mortgage leathers.

What I am looking for is some advice from bikers immeasurably more experienced than myself: Yay or NAY STAY AWAY.

The jeans I am looking at have Knox Knee and hip armour padding, and the most kevlar I can find in a pair of jeans

Background ...
    *Speed does not float my boat, i only really see myself on a cruiser / chopper.
    *I will still be in my textile jacket.
    *My textile trousers were so uncomfortably hot t'other day, even unlined that I was constantly undressing every stop.
    * i will be wearing the same impact protection in the same places as my textiles
    *Oh, and I will be carrying waterproof overs with me.
    *Yes I am keen on safety
    *Yes I DO wear gloves

Last edited by Phoenix on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
Baloo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your choice, but no I do not rate them.

Kevlar jeans may be okay if you come off, hit the ground and slide, but mostly they are a waste of time if you are going to hit something (tree, car, kerb etc. The majority of them offer no impact protection.

Re speed; try hitting something immovable at 30 mph and see if that hurts! This whole speed argument annoys me. Especially when a Scooter rider (not you) tells me that he only rides a scooter and therefore does not need leathers. 30-40mph is the same speed whatever one rides! Evil or Very Mad

I used the word "may" at the beginning, typically such jeans only have kevlar protection on the common places to slide along the ground. Any other areas are just jean material and one may as well wear shorts.

Yes I did use them on hols last year and took the risk of not hitting anything (wide empty freeways).

Over here I wear leather trousers at all times with some underleggings both during winter and summer. Not too hot and the leggings also stop the trousers sticking to you.

Lining makes also them more comfortable and if it can be removed is washable too.
Phoenix
'Phenis the tree hugger'
'Phenis the tree hugger'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcBC wrote:

Re speed; try hitting something immovable at 30 mph and see if that hurts! This whole speed argument annoys me.

LOL don't worry about that ... I respect ALL speeds. I broke my jaw in 3 places, lost all my front teeth and had 15 stitches on my chin at no more than about 15 or 20 mph falling off the back of a car (Don't ask)

ok, so that's one "No" then.
though I will say that the ones i like have the same knee and hip pads as my textile trousers
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcBC wrote:
Kevlar jeans may be okay if you come off, hit the ground and slide, but mostly they are a waste of time if you are going to hit something (tree, car, kerb etc. The majority of them offer no impact protection.

Re speed; try hitting something immovable at 30 mph and see if that hurts! This whole speed argument annoys me. Especially when a Scooter rider (not you) tells me that he only rides a scooter and therefore does not need leathers.

BIG +1 on this.

FWIW - in warm dry weather I wear Draggin jeans but I am well aware that there is absolutely NO IMPACT PROTECTION but there is (IMO) excellent protection against road rash. Thats why I have a pair of Dianese combined Ankle, shin & knee impact armour that I wear under my draggin jeans and my Richa Monsoons as they are strapped to my leg and do not rely on the cloth of my trousers holding them in the correct position over my knee.

As far as a Scooter riders / slow spped riders not needing impact or friction armour - again I agree totally with MarcBC. As a long time Scooter rider I can say that the only time I have had an off I was doing less than 10MPH when I found a patch of Black Ice. Even though I was wearing full impact and friction armor (lid, Richa-Rix jacket, Richa-Monsoon trousers, Winter gloves & Daytona touring boots) I still ended up with a couple of cracked ribs and was saved from a sh1t load of road rash becasue I was wearing the jacket & trousers.

Like MarcBC said, doesn't matter what speed or what you ride or what you are riding - Wear all the protection you can...

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often ride in a pair of hein gericke jeans with their hiprotec armour in (on local sedate solo rides). Although i've only crashed off road in them they did the job. That said there's generally no facility in jeans to zip to a jacket which is important for horizontal tarmac excursions. Best protection money can buy is some advanced training - RoSPA, IaM, Rapid Training etc. Back on topic... In principle, i've nothing against the kevlar lined jeans, however, they aren't always as comfortable as you night expect - i find in very hot weather the kevlar makes my legs sweat and can give heat rashes, consider impact protection too... This is as important if not more so than abrasion resistance

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Flipper
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some protection is better than none, though if you hit something at 40mph it really don't matter a fudge whether it's Jeans or Leathers tbh
Athos
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
Some protection is better than none, though if you hit something at 40mph it really don't matter a fudge whether it's Jeans or Leathers tbh
you been reading my pms Confused
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Athosyou been reading my pms Confused[/quote]

You got PMS Shocked
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IM with flipper an athos on this one ( sorry marc ...mundo respect ua know that)...leather silk black panites or lace .....dont care what your wearing ( unless its king arthurs steel armour ....if you come off and IMPACT things are liable to break ......if you slide then thats a different matter ............low speed slide?....take your pick ...textiles, kevlar or leather they will all offer some form of protection.....high speed slide ......depends on the point of friction .....on an armour point ...depends on the armour on the material point .....gimme leather every time
sinking bike
Formerly HG Purley
Formerly HG Purley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very mixed feelings about kevlar jeans. they don't have as much protection as leathers or full textile kit but they are better than some of these people wearing nothing but shorts and t-shirt on their sport bikes.
Baloo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLAPPY© wrote:
IM with flipper an athos on this one ( sorry marc ...mundo respect ua know that)...leather silk black panites or lace .....dont care what your wearing ( unless its king arthurs steel armour ....if you come off and IMPACT things are liable to break ......if you slide then thats a different matter ............low speed slide?....take your pick ...textiles, kevlar or leather they will all offer some form of protection.....high speed slide ......depends on the point of friction .....on an armour point ...depends on the armour on the material point .....gimme leather every time

No need to apologise, it is each of our opinions that are being asked for.

FWIW, I agree totally with your last piece, but would also rather crash into something in leather jeans with fixed armour than denim / kevlar jeans.
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the warm days I wear textile pants with the air flow panels, as sold by HG £ 80.00 and can incorporate Armour too. Rate them 10/10
GrandCnut
GrandCnut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wear full leathers and still managed to break my collar bone in a 10 mph shunt.

you aint safe whatever you wear......but you can at least swing the balance in your favour.
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personnel choice really, we all know the risks associated with wearing what we choose to wear. The Kevlar Jeans are good for a slide as a friend will testify the other week, but it’s also as much as a fashion thing so maybe more your cruiser types would be interested in them.

By the way my mum always said wear clean underwear in case you have an accident. Personally I find wearing suspenders and stockings with crotch less panties the best, cause if you do have an accident it gives you and the ambulance crew something to laugh about when they cut your leathers off Wink Twisted Evil

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

You're Never Alone With Schizophrenia
photo chick
"not so little Emma"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

short jeans & rollerblade pads are the way forward Laughing Laughing Laughing

www.emmadesigns.com
www.myspace.com/emmaporter
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photo chick wrote:

Like Daisy dukes, that short Laughing

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ_DJ wrote:
photo chick wrote:

Drooling idiot
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wivvy's dad wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:
photo chick wrote:

Drooling idiot

Oh go on then one more time just for you Very Happy

Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the reason of buying these is to be cooler, I would go out and buy a mesh suit. Never tried the jeans, but always thought that if you slid off, the heat would build up too quickly, compared to a bit more padding in a suit ?
photo chick
"not so little Emma"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wivvy's dad wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:
photo chick wrote:

Drooling idiot

LOL nooooooo not that short, just 3/4 length!

www.emmadesigns.com
www.myspace.com/emmaporter
Phoenix
'Phenis the tree hugger'
'Phenis the tree hugger'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't wear shorts like that, my arse is not nearly as sexy as hers Sad
Danger Mouse
Learner
Learner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends wether male or female
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: