BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bike clothing. Poll
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Change the law or Insurance companys to refuse cover.
Leave things as they are.
75%
 75%  [ 18 ]
Change the law.
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Insurance companys to refuse cover.
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 24

The Teacher
Cabbage club member #2
Cabbage club member #2

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Bike clothing. Poll Reply with quote

Ive been around bike for to many years to mention. There are 2 main things that cheese me of in the bike world.

1 The lack of protective clothing on people riding motorbikes.

2 People riding around without there saftey helmet not done up.

So as the weather warms up the silly season starts and all the idiots will ride around with no cloaths on again.

The point that i want to make is.

If the goverment wont change the law to make people ride with the correct clothing, Should insurance companys refuse cover unless rider and pillion have suitable clothing on.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

It`s All in the wrist.
Flipper
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant understand why what other people wear would piss you off?

Seen loads of French Police riders in shirts, freedom of choice is a wonderful thing!!
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike clothing. Poll Reply with quote

The Teacher wrote:
Ive been around bike for to many years to mention. There are 2 main things that cheese me of in the bike world.

1 The lack of protective clothing on people riding motorbikes.

2 People riding around without there saftey helmet not done up.

So as the weather warms up the silly season starts and all the idiots will ride around with no cloaths on again.

The point that i want to make is.

If the goverment wont change the law to make people ride with the correct clothing, Should insurance companys refuse cover unless rider and pillion have suitable clothing on.

I hear ya and agree that there are morons out there that do not waer the correct protective clothing. Kids on scooters come to mind. However, as I use my Bike to comute to and from work I cant say that I wear protective trousers on every journey to and from work. But I do wear gloves, boots, jacket and lid on every trip.

I dont think that laws should be put in place though requiring the wearing of protective clothing (other than lids). They would be far too complex and hard to enforce.

As as far as insurance refusing to pay out - again - I don't think that insurance companies should be given any more reasons to exploit to avoid paying out. Lets face it - with the best of intentions thats what would end up happening.

The only reasonable thing I can think of cant be applied in the UK as refusing to pay out on medical insurance for injuries / treatment that could have been avoided / mitigated by wearing full leathers / textiles and body armor. There is the possibility that the NHS could bill people for the treatment of injuries that could have been mitigated by wearing the proper gear but again this is something would be extremely hard and complex to police and enforce.

I dunno - things are already complicated so its prolly best to leave well alone.

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rode today with what i consider less than the bare minimal and that was only as time was of the essence ....had to squeeze in a new front tyre ( remove the wheek to reduce the cost ) and then an MOT which involved changing the can and aquiring new and replacing the Horns ( they wouldnt work every time and when they did only one would sound) so the run to a local Mot tester ( 4 miles ) was made in Helmet , Textile jacket, jeans and trainers ....probably the first time ive worn trainers on a bike since i was a teenager ...felt naked tbh and very very exposed but as said ...it was freedom of choice
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic. There would be benefit to protective clothing being legislated in, namely, given time, clothing quality should improve if minimum standards were legislated in. However, i do believe in freedom of choice... But one thing that really hacks me off is 'johnny knee down' taking his bint about on the back of his cock rocket wearing an ill fitting lid, slip on shoes, pedal pushers, and flimsy jacket while he's in his one piece leather and 400 quid arai etc.

Interestingly enough... There are different attitudes from different factions - cruiser riders often wear bike jackets but remove the armour for instance.

I wear jeans on occasions, i know the risks etc. My choice etc..

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Teacher
Cabbage club member #2
Cabbage club member #2

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bike clothing. Poll Reply with quote

[quote="boudicas"]
The only reasonable thing I can think of cant be applied in the UK as refusing to pay out on medical insurance for injuries / treatment that could have been avoided / mitigated by wearing full leathers / textiles and body armor. There is the possibility that the NHS could bill people for the treatment of injuries that could have been mitigated by wearing the proper gear but again this is something would be extremely hard and complex to police and enforce.

Good point its one thats been batted about the training industry for a while now.

It`s All in the wrist.
The Teacher
Cabbage club member #2
Cabbage club member #2

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully respect the fredom of choice. How many people would ride without a saftey helmet on. That change in the law saved thousands of lives over the years. Its also the same with the seat belt law.

It`s All in the wrist.
Phoenix
'Phenis the tree hugger'
'Phenis the tree hugger'

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Informed choice is the thing ...
i DO wear armoured kevlar jeans, boots, textile jacket etc,
but i HAVE paid my insurance company in good faith, knowing
that they have a certain obligation. I know with certainty that they
view that money as theirs and will do anything to avoid giving a penny
of it back, why give them more loopholes.

the stupidity involves in not wearing the correct gear will result in lots
and lots of very very hurty painful ouchy pain in the event of an accident,
is it fair that you will ALSO have the insurance company refusing to fight in
your corner against the Audi driver that pulled out in front of you while
using a cellphone? because for that day only you were on your way to
a bike gear shop to buy new boots ?

freedom of choice ! but Informed choice !
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather do things by choice rather than be forced to do them, as I feel you need to educate people as to why we do things as opposed to saying you have to. Smile
Athos
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flintstone wrote:
I would rather do things by choice rather than be forced to do them, as I feel you need to educate people as to why we do things as opposed to saying you have to. Smile
yea tell that to your missis Very Happy Very Happy
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athos wrote:
Flintstone wrote:

Well I was thinking about her when I typed it ! Laughing
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flintstone wrote:
Athos wrote:
Flintstone wrote:

Well I was thinking about her when I typed it ! Laughing

Fred wears the trousers in his house........The Missus just TELLS him which ones
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bike clothing. Poll Reply with quote

[quote="The Teacher"]
boudicas wrote:

Good point its one thats been batted about the training industry for a while now.

Then bill smokers, alcoholics , drug user's etc etc etc . Sorry feller freedom of choice for informed consenting adults .
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Teacher wrote:
I fully respect the fredom of choice. How many people would ride without a saftey helmet on. That change in the law saved thousands of lives over the years. Its also the same with the seat belt law.

I agree but think cyclist should have some laws put in place first - Like helmets when on the road!!
Jay1
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what you're saying but I think it has to be freedom of choice. The most important and obvious piece of safety equipment is already legislated, being the helmet.

As for the insurance companies refusing to pay out I don't see how this could work. It would not be your own insurance company paying you, as you can't claim injury against yourself and also, the amount that "correct clothing" would reduce injury is very subjective. It is agreed that wearing leathers will reduce the risk of injury, but how could you possibly prove that a failure to wear, say an armoured jacket, would have contributed to a broken arm having been knocked off your bike.

I think the only real injuries you could say with any certainty would be reduced by wearing protecive clothing are abbrasion type injuries, and again it is impossible to say that you wouldn't get some road rash in the bargain basement protective gear that would be the bear minimum legal requirement.

If they made the regulations too stiff then the cost of the protective gear would be completely prohibitive to a lot of people, as good quality gear cetainly don't come cheap, particularly if you are having to buy for yourself and a "very occasional" pillion.

Not sure this is a law that could ever realistically be enforced either. Would you want plod pulling every rider they see in jeans over, to check that they are armoured, or kevlar enforced, or whatever the regulations would insist upon?

I don't really understand why anyone would go out on a bike in shorts and t-shirt, and certainly never would myself. But at the end of the day I think that should remain their choice to do so.
Baloo

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bike clothing. Poll Reply with quote

[quote="tango"]
The Teacher wrote:
boudicas wrote:

Then bill smokers, alcoholics , drug user's etc etc etc .

Unless it can be shown it is not the fault of the user, alchoholic etc, why not? FFS lets all take some responsibility for our actions. If my overweight is due to over eating and my health suffers, than I should take some responsibility, not expect others to pick up the hospital bills etc.

All of this also ignores the affect on loved ones, family etc when someone has an injury, heart attack etc as a result of their "freedom of choice"

I am all for freedom of choice, but not at the expense (fiscal or emotional) of others.
southernspeed
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
Cant understand why what other people wear would piss you off?

Seen loads of French Police riders in shirts, freedom of choice is a wonderful thing!!

100%. If I wear full leathers, I ride like I have full leathers on. If I have far less on, I ride accordingly. We live in enough of a nanny state. Each to their own.

www.carshaltonmcc.com
www.surreysportsmotorcycles.com
crazy horse
Sink the pink
Sink the pink

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Freedom of choice is great, can I have the freedom of choice as to wheather treatment for injury caused by taking a slow speed tumble in shorts and trainers gets paid for out of my NI contributions?

I disagree that kit should be legislated, as when you start that ball rolling who knows where It'll end up. As most of us know motorcycling in itself is considered Dangerous by many so would it not eventually become a case that bikes are banned from the public highway for our own safety.
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike clothing. Poll Reply with quote

tango wrote:
....Then bill smokers, alcoholics , drug user's etc etc etc .

MarcBC wrote:

Unless it can be shown it is not the fault of the user, alchoholic etc, why not? FFS lets all take some responsibility for our actions......

I'm with MarcBC on this one totally, I'm a great believer that freedom of choice is is a right that everyone is born with. However, with the freedom of choice we must accept the responsibility and consequences of our free choices.

Steps Off Soapbox for now ..:/

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff

Last edited by boudicas on Sun May 10, 2009 9:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Suzibabe
Vin Diesel
Vin Diesel

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started riding bikes, it was very rare to see anyone in full leathers. Helmet, gloves, boots, leather jacket and jeans was the norm.

My husband rides a Supermoto and wears jeans with a textile jacket. When he had his GSXR750 he wore full leathers.

If I'm going to work I wear leather jeans (non-armoured) and a textile jacket with armour. If I'm out on a ride, I'll wear full leathers.

Freedom of choice!
reddragon
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Teacher wrote:
Applause
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how ones mind works....
I'm heading out on the ZRX, so, wear leather jeans and jacket, gloves, boots and full face helmet. Reason....because it's what i wear on the bike ! On second thoughts, think i'll go cycling instead. Rolling Eyes On go shorts, short sleeved top, finger-less track mitts, light weight cycle shoes and cycle helmet.....because it's what i feel comfortable wearing when cycling. More than happy with both.
BUT....falling from a push bike at 40mph is no different to falling from a motorbike at the same speed. Shocked Yet, apart from looking stupid, i'd feel naked riding the ZRX in my cycle kit !
If people feel ok riding in jeans, tee-shirts etc then so be it. Not right for most but it's their choice, at a time when we're forever being told what to do and what not to do for our own well being. Evil or Very Mad
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRTFT
pgtips72
Pedestrian
Pedestrian

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legislation would also have the effect of aiding the powers that be in further reducing motorcyclists - more expense & compliction etc = fewer new motorcyclists = easier to legislate against- ad infinitum.

I've got all of the gear, I also do instructing now & again. I dont always wear all of the gear when I'm riding for myself tho, that's my choice & I dont have to justify it to anyone.
Decent bike gear has always been expensive (barring the odd amazing bargain here & there), when I started out I knew I couldnt afford top notch stuff so made do with jeans, second hand leather jackets, putting on layers etc & eventually as I got older my ability to buy stuff grew & so did my bike wardrobe.
You've also got to take style (as in type, not fashion) into account to some degree - a lot of my gear is restrictive - great if you're on a sports bike kinda thing but do you really want to be wearing sidi vertigo corsa's on a harley with forward controls? - personally I think the square toed 'biker' boot would be a better option there, helmet wise, if you're sitting a little more laid back then perhaps a full face shoei wont give you as good visibilty as an open face - less protection but it is a trade off for visibility. Would this mean that the cruiser rider wasnt wearing all of the approved gear?
Lil Mush
Silent but violent
Silent but violent

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer is (in answer to more than this topic):

ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS! instead of adding policing yet again...

as Mori said: "at a time when we're forever being told what to do and what not to do for our own well being Evil or Very Mad ".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: