BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Members only area for general chat.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we have a members section
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 14 ]
No
42%
 42%  [ 15 ]
Don't care
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 35

The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Members only area for general chat. Reply with quote

In the light of what is happening, both today and yesterday on two different threads, would it be a good idea to have a general area open for ALL members.

It is not to be a place to take over from the 'off topic chat' but more a seldom used area which will not be open for the general world audience to look at.

Such things as threads that COULD be off putting for potential new members could be moved to there.

Also if someone wanted to post something that they definately only wanted members to see, ie family bereavement or maybe certain photographs then it could be used for that.

If it does start to be used as a new 'off topic chat' area then all that has to happen is a Mod moves it to a relevant open to everyone area, biking, off topic, bike shed etc etc where it should have been put in the first place.

Just an idea.

Last edited by The Mouse on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Members only area for general chat. Reply with quote

The Mouse wrote:
In the light of what is happening, both today and yesterday on two different threads, would it be a good idea to have a general area open for ALL members.

It is not to be a place to take over from the 'off topic chat' but more a seldom used area which will not be open for the general world audience to look at.

Such things as threads that COULD be off putting for potential new members could be moved to there.

Also if someone wanted to post something that they definately only wanted members to see, ie family bereavement or maybe certain photographs then it could be used for that.

If it does start to be used as a new 'off topic chat' area then all that has to happen is a Mod moves it to a relevant open to everyone area, biking, off topic, bike shed etc etc where it should have been put in the first place.

Just an idea.

Good idea
wildchild

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep I agree as well Smile
Roughie
Martini Model
Martini Model

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh go on then ... Smile i agree Smile

[url=http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/Roughiediamond]Click Here to find Roughie on Facebook [/url]
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a shit idea and i'm going to lock the thread Laughing

Wink

Will have a play tomorrow and sort Razz

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phoenix
'Phenis the tree hugger'
'Phenis the tree hugger'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep yep, I'm in accordance with that !

particularly as mouse said ... in light of today's postings.
I couldn't help but think of the "Well this is very intimidating...." post in the
newbie section, which was someone who was acyually ON the ride yesterday
and in fact up front with me and HWTF while Taz went back.
and I thought ... yes, it probably is intimidating !
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shit idea. There was an area like this before and all it did was cause problems. It got binned.
Baloo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Members only area for general chat. Reply with quote

The Mouse wrote:

Just an idea.

Copyright Baloo 1 June '09. See "Split from..." thread! Laughing
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Members only area for general chat. Reply with quote

wivvy's dad wrote:
The Mouse wrote:

Just an idea.

Good idea

+1

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
It is a shit idea. There was an area like this before and all it did was cause problems. It got binned.

you are confusing this idea with 'mud wrestling' which was canned...

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phoenix
'Phenis the tree hugger'
'Phenis the tree hugger'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would this work ?
membership on registration to BHF?
membership on invitation?
membership upon reaching a post level, ie 1 or 2 red helmet?

as long as it doesn't turn nasty, or detract from main forum,
creating an "Us and Them" that is not part of the forum ethos
(no, not Athos) it could be quite good

but if it become elitist and inner circle, it could be damaging,
likewise if it becomes an area that ppl feel they can say what
they like because it's "behind closed doors" so to speak
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:

Wink

Will have a play tomorrow and sort Razz

Still means more work for you though fella Sad

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would it work?

You'd have to be personally interviewed by BarryH and Loco

Hide behind sofa
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wivvy's dad wrote:
How would it work?

You'd have to be personally interfered with by BarryH and Loco

Hide behind sofa

He might like that...... but I doubt it Laughing

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Phoenix
'Phenis the tree hugger'
'Phenis the tree hugger'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tusky wrote:
wivvy's dad wrote:
How would it work?

You'd have to be personally interfered with by BarryH and Loco

Hide behind sofa

He might like that...... but I doubt it Laughing

ok ... straight over my head !
ChoccieMuffin
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea's sound, but it does rely on people being judicious in their use of the closed forum.

Initially, I suggest that Biggus and the Mods (sounds like a 60s group there for a second!) are the only people who can START a thread in there, or who can move a thread TO there. So if anyone wants to start a thread, PM a mod and get them to open one for you, just enter the content and the title in your PM to the mod. Might help prevent it becoming a free-for-all or the only bit of the site that's used, thereby avoiding the main, openly visible site from being less active and therefore less attractive to new members.

Biggus, is it possible to restrict who can start threads while still allowing others to reply? This is the only forum I'm on that uses phpBB so I don't know.
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wivvy's dad"]How would it work?

Hide behind sofa[/quote

Hey thats a good idea......

.........your banned
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BarryH"]
wivvy's dad wrote:
How would it work?

Hide behind sofa[/quote

Hey thats a good idea......

.........your banned

I can only be banned by someone utilising correct spelling, grammar and punctuation, and with a greater number of posts than me................................. so.................................

Razz
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words someone who talks more bollocks than you. In that I'll concede.
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's going to be a another Witch hunt Forum?

Seriously, are people going to stop going to Box or posting on here beacuse 1 or two riders have made a few bad calls? Might as well give up biking all together as there are millions of motorists out there that make even the worse Motorcyclists look good.

If there are personal gripes on here then by all means that's between the people involved and they should keep their differences "off Forum" with the Moderators steppng in if need be.

It's a free country (only just with these arseholes running it though) let's keep it a free Forum. We're all adults and i'm sure new and old members will keep going to Box and posting on here whatever the weather. A "Freemasons Society of Secrets" attitude is a bit old hat IMO.
The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Members only area for general chat. Reply with quote

biggus wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

cnut

BarryH wrote:

I wouldn't have expected you to agree with it anyway

wivvy's dad wrote:
How would it work?

Blimey, ain't that the truth. Any slight disagreement or argument between anyone and you can guarentee that one or both will chip in somewhere. And it's usually the latter one. Laughing

Baloo wrote:
Copyright Baloo 1 June '09. See "Split from..." thread! Laughing

Sir, I bow to you. I've just had a look and saw that you already suggested it before me. Many apoligies old chap.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:

Don't think that was entirely the point, however, an area that is not postable or viewable would not be immediately leapt upon by those who merely browse not logged in, then jump on any contentious thread with the sole intention of stirring.

Taz wrote:
If there are personal gripes on here then by all means that's between the people involved and they should keep their differences "off Forum" with the Moderators steppng in if need be.

Quite... perhaps rather than keeping the thread active if those who wanted it locked pm'd an admin or mod to request that rather than stirring by posting "lock it" (which further highlights the thread, thus removes their request validity IMO...) then those requests may have been taken more seriously...

Taz wrote:
It's a free country (only just with these arseholes running it though) let's keep it a free Forum. We're all adults and i'm sure new and old members will keep going to Box and posting on here whatever the weather. A "Freemasons Society of Secrets" attitude is a bit old hat IMO.

There are already areas on this board that you have to log in to see, infact on many motorcycle forums you have to log in to see anything at all - usually as they are keen to boost their membership by encouraging "voyeurs" to register.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Wivvy
GrandCnut
GrandCnut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think everyone needs to grow up a bit tbh.

knitting circle politics bore me, so why would i want to trawel through yet another section of piss taking, shit stirring and general abuse.

if you do this duncan, you may as well just resurrect the the mud wrestling section and be done with it.

Rolling Eyes
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Taz wrote:

Don't think that was entirely the point, however, an area that is not postable or viewable would not be immediately leapt upon by those who merely browse not logged in, then jump on any contentious thread with the sole intention of stirring.

Taz wrote:

Quite... perhaps rather than keeping the thread active if those who wanted it locked pm'd an admin or mod to request that rather than stirring by posting "lock it" (which further highlights the thread, thus removes their request validity IMO...) then those requests may have been taken more seriously...

Taz wrote:

There are already areas on this board that you have to log in to see, infact on many motorcycle forums you have to log in to see anything at all - usually as they are keen to boost their membership by encouraging "voyeurs" to register.

No problem, it's your site dude, just added a PO behind (from what I can piece together) the "real" reasons for wanting a "Members only section" I certainly never even thought to go looking for a "members only" section when I joined and there are, as you say, other forums that have sections which some, you even need to "pay" for to see.

It looked (and still is) a good forum when I first joined, there is certainly a "buzz" and more of a social scene going on here than in any other forums i've visited, which is why I joined it in the first place.

You're doing a fine job inbetween the flak firing off and you must do what the Status Quo dictates, but then you still won't please all the people, all the time. Crack on.

Very Happy
The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry fella but I must be having a thick moment, can you explain this bit again

Taz wrote:
No problem, it's your site dude, just added a PO behind (from what I can piece together) the "real" reasons for wanting a "Members only section"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Site ideas All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: