BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Members only area for general chat.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we have a members section
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 14 ]
No
42%
 42%  [ 15 ]
Don't care
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 35

Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mouse wrote:
Sorry fella but I must be having a thick moment, can you explain this bit again

Taz wrote:
No problem, it's your site dude, just added a PO behind (from what I can piece together) the "real" reasons for wanting a "Members only section"

IE: a Memebers only section to carry out the Witch hunt followed closely no doubt by the public hanging.........
The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
The Mouse wrote:

Taz wrote:
No problem, it's your site dude, just added a PO behind (from what I can piece together) the "real" reasons for wanting a "Members only section"

IE: a Memebers only section to carry out the Witch hunt followed closely no doubt by the public hanging.........

hmmm, OK. So i'm now a liar am I?

This is obviously aimed at me as I started the thread, and I also listed the reasons why I felt it to be a good idea. But as you have now exposed the 'real' reasons as you put it by your cunning 'putting together the pieces' you have exposed me as the liar that you are obviously accusing me of.

Glad to know how you feel fella.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that only one point is being touched upon in this discussion and that is so called public executions/hangings. As an example of a private forum - the legal section I believe (can't be arsed to check) is only viewable by users who are logged in, there are also other forum areas that are only viewable by either specific usergroups (i.e. the girlies & geezers sections). But... just because the contents of those forums are not publically viewable by all & sundry does not mean they are there purely to slate anyone or anything.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
I think that only one point is being touched upon in this discussion and that is so called public executions/hangings. As an example of a private forum - the legal section I believe (can't be arsed to check) is only viewable by users who are logged in, there are also other forum areas that are only viewable by either specific usergroups (i.e. the girlies & geezers sections). But... just because the contents of those forums are not publically viewable by all & sundry does not mean they are there purely to slate anyone or anything.

Absolutely, and that's all i'm i saying. Having one not for public viewing, like the legal and the geezers and the girls, but with no restrictions. Open to every member.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mouse wrote:
biggus wrote:

Absolutely, and that's all i'm i saying. Having one not for public viewing, like the legal and the geezers and the girls, but with no restrictions. Open to every member.

It would also cut down on the registered "grazers" browsing without logging in finding threads to troll...

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mouse wrote:
Taz wrote:
The Mouse wrote:

Taz wrote:

hmmm, OK. So i'm now a liar am I?

This is obviously aimed at me as I started the thread, and I also listed the reasons why I felt it to be a good idea. But as you have now exposed the 'real' reasons as you put it by your cunning 'putting together the pieces' you have exposed me as the liar that you are obviously accusing me of.

Glad to know how you feel fella.

It wasn't aimed at anyone, you merely highlighted a personl choice for a member only section, if there is nothing in that section that would deter new members (if that is the reason a member only section was needed) then why would it be needed at all? it is more work for the mod's and appears that the forum has "something to hide"

If people want to join they will, looking at the numbers on here it has a great following, but why, once you've already joined do you then have to "flaff " about, looking for secret sections to post in. I personally don't believe people will join on the basis there is "members only" section to sign up to. I certainly haven't done so in the past nor will do so in the future. Seems just too childish unless you are going to bring in some sort of "fee to view" as other sites do.

Last edited by Taz on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was all typed before your posts guys so I now understand there is a legal issue involved.

Having said that, it begs the question "why isn't there already one?"
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a bad idea to have a Members Only section. Occasional issues are bound to arise where heated discussion ensues. I don't mind being called a twat on a public forum because I believe other members can see through that comment for what it was. For those of you who have been on here long enough I saw shades of an Italian in BS posts. But people lurking for some time before introducing themselves might find these discussions intimidating and discourage them from taking the plunge and joining. There was a great spat on London Bikers recently - an accusation of some pretty selfish riding on an Essex ride out went on for umpteen pages - did not show that particular Forum in a good light. Whenthese threads develop it would be easy for a mod to move them to a "Members Only" section.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

["ninjabob"=wrote]
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjabob wrote:
Shades of an Italian

Blimey Bob, not even BS can be that bad.......................

Ooops, wait a mo................................

Laughing
Baloo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjabob wrote:
It is not a bad idea to have a Members Only section. Occasional issues are bound to arise where heated discussion ensues. I don't mind being called a twat on a public forum because I believe other members can see through that comment for what it was. For those of you who have been on here long enough I saw shades of an Italian in BS posts. But people lurking for some time before introducing themselves might find these discussions intimidating and discourage them from taking the plunge and joining. There was a great spat on London Bikers recently - an accusation of some pretty selfish riding on an Essex ride out went on for umpteen pages - did not show that particular Forum in a good light. Whenthese threads develop it would be easy for a mod to move them to a "Members Only" section.

I agree. That is exactly why a members only area is needed. The car and photography sites I belong to have one and any disputes (which as Bob says are a fact of life) are moved (by the mods) into that to save the public face of the forum. Members can also post there if they have a need to, e.g. to question a mods decision / behaviour.

The only people that cannot access it are non site members.
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see bothe sides of the argument, but really its pretty useless IMHO. If your not man, or woman for that matter, enough to call someones a twat or whatever to their face, then why hide behind a keyboard to do it?

In the instance that sparked this little debate it was actually mod that threw fuel on the fire. If people want to sling mud then does it really matter wether its behind closed doors or out in the open. The end result will be the same.
Baloo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
I can see bothe sides of the argument, but really its pretty useless IMHO. If your not man, or woman for that matter, enough to call someones a twat or whatever to their face, then why hide behind a keyboard to do it?

In the instance that sparked this little debate it was actually mod that threw fuel on the fire. If people want to sling mud then does it really matter wether its behind closed doors or out in the open. The end result will be the same.

Its called window dressing. Why wash dirty linen in public?

I am sure that most people when having a row with their friends / partners / family etc would prefer to do so in the privacy of their own home (the members area) rather than in the street (the public area)
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why have mods. If things get or look like their getting out of hand then a mod could step in with the required action. The problem being that all and sundry put their boot in when things kick off. Luckily enough these occasions are few and far between.

Oh and stop changing your bloody user name, it confuses the grey cells.........
wildchild

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:

yep we dont slate anyone in the girlies section.. we may have a pop about Biggus from time to time Razz

but seriously it does work.. I think that it still is a good time to do this, or may the guest element of being able to see posts should simply switched off. Its not a case of trying to stop things being seen but a lot of people can be put off by certain stuff that they can see on forums and not just this one

Also in the case of Mods, I dont have a problem with them at all and I know that they have a difficult position i.e. whether to lock or leave a thread open... and I think you do a great job as long as you remain neutral when arguements do break out.

I dont want to see this forum go the way so many other forums have and I dont post as regularily on the main forum like I used to and I miss it, but i just got fed up with the constant sniping, or someone not being able to give an honest opinion without someone having a go at them..

It just got too much. I still think that life at the moment is too short to constantly be arguing. There are always going to be disagreements, someone is going to do something stupid in a rideout, or just a falling out, but I much prefer it when we have a good old giggle on here...

I want that back now.. or I will start stamping my foot Laughing
The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made this a poll.

It appears more people are for it than against.
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evens even Very Happy
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:

I agree with you there Barry... .but the mod had said it to his face on two occasions that I have witnessed and then said it on the forum..... what we have to respect is different people have different ways of expressing themselves.... BS took exception at the personal stuff and probably rightly so, the mod took exception at the risk element and also quite rightly so, therefore I guess I will always opt for the open forum so both parties can present their case and the forum can make therir judgement, as you well know from some of our spats Wink

Therefore I vote no....... Jimmy Hill trouble with an open forum is that browsers or new peeps like Taz, just see a witch hunt rather being able to evaluate members comments that have been based on their experiences with an individual....... trouble is I have already voted no and now I want to vote dunno or yes Embarrassed Laughing

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Lil Mush
Silent but violent
Silent but violent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't quite read all the above posts so I might repeat something here, but...

I think the format the forum takes is irrelevant. If people behave in the same way, how is it going to be any different? As Wivvy said (I can't believe I am agreeing with him!) some people need to grow up or at least start respecting each other a bit more (and I don't mean only the actual direct insults - they are many ways to insult someone).

Also, I saw something about monitoring by mods, well... I assumed (perhaps wrongly, I don't know) that they should remain impartial, in which case, I'm all for it. However, we all know that is not the case with some of them, especially with the latest debates.

So, in essence, I'd say keep the forum as it is, just discourage people from being c*nts!!! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per most spats here it was left to run for a reasonable length of time and once it started becoming repetative and boring it was locked.
Usually they are left to fade into the distance and things return to normal service.
So FFS people let the subject go ..let people cool off ....and lets leave the playground to the kids.

No pop at anyone individual just my opinion.
Va Va Oops
Va Va Yes yes yes yes!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLAPPY© wrote:
As per most spats here it was left to run for a reasonable length of time and once it started becoming repetative and boring it was locked.
Usually they are left to fade into the distance and things return to normal service.
So FFS people let the subject go ..let people cool off ....and lets leave the playground to the kids.

No pop at anyone individual just my opinion.

Well sayeth the ex-Mod.

I'm with the 'no' group (although I think it might sometimes save me from making quite such a prat of myself in public!!)

As said by others, would it really change anything? - especially as we don't have very strict controls on who can become a member..?

It might stop the odd voyeur (you know who I mean Wink Laughing )...but not likely ...this site is like 'Eastenders' to some people ...they know all of the characters better than we know ourselves Rolling Eyes and they would find a way to get their fix! Laughing

Even amongst the active members, we are such an extremely diverse (yet oddly similar) group that the occassional flare-up is going to be unavoidable. If dealt with in a mature (and sober) way this rarely amounts to more than a giggle ...take the regular arguments over bulbs/lamps and bikers/motorcyclists for example...

Some subjects are inherantly more emotive ...You'll 'hook' me every time on the subject of 'appropriate clothing' 'cos it is something I feel strongly about (....but keep an eye open for my 'summer gloves' cos, tbh, I don't think they are really good enough!!)

But all of these things are kind of rhetorical / which way do you swing / question time sort of things...

Being specific about an individual's riding is, for me, like going from 'question time' to 'jerry springer'

...This is not about the need, or otherwise, for a 'private' section ...it is about 'quality control'.

...Much as I love to be nosey ...personal stuff should be kept private - unless the parties involved agree otherwise.

A few people have insinuated that Roughie (as a Mod) should not have 'stirred the coals'. Well... ...maybe ...but we are all human - even the Mods!!! ...Maybe we need to be more specific and open about the role of a Mod ...and maybe have a Mods Only section where they can spit embers and ask for help????

That said, if anyone has anything to say about my riding ...post it by all means! Always glad of a few pointers and happy to get into a heated debate if I think you're talking crap!!! Laughing

...speaking of which ....that ride back from the airfield where CH and I got slated for 'buzzing the group' ....you'd all have been left way behind and probably lost if we hadn't blatted it to the front, marked the corners, and spaced out and waited for you all to catch up. Sometimes perceptions are different from positions in the group...

If I am still making sense, I have not had enough to drink!!!

In summary...

There is probably little advantage to having a members only group (except for posting of addresses for BBQ's!!!) due to the amount of necessary work in screening said members???

The number of people 'put off' by 'jerry springer' antics are, probably, fewer than the people 'turned on' by the same. A sad but inescapeable fact of life! We may as well take pride in being the 'Eastenders' of the mc forums???

Mods could maybe do with more support and guidance - especially support!???

Perhaps instate a 'Super-Moderator' to moderate where issues transcend moderator boundaries???

...just had an even better idea ...but I'll post it separately cos everyone must be bored by now...???
Va Va Oops

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: 'How's my riding?'? Reply with quote

This seems to be the main gripe that started all of this off...

Why not start up a Members Only section entitled 'How was my riding?' (must have ridden at least once in group to join) ....members would sign up by choice and a very experienced, cool, and respected, person would Mod the group...

I can see a potential conflict with 'ridouts'. Could we manage this in some way?
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause

Well put Alison
The Teacher
Cabbage club member #2
Cabbage club member #2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wivvy's dad wrote:
Applause

Well put Alison

So i take it your up for the job of super moderator then. Old enough for it but dont know about the wise bit. rolling on the floor laughing

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

It`s All in the wrist.
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't have put my thoughts down more eloquently and succinctly, well done Alison applause . I have voted 'NO'.

I also feel very strongly that moderators should be allowed to join in any discussion they like, and, although I wouldn't do it, to make any comments they like, as long as they don't involve your mother or dog!. It should be the other moderators who police any such comments. It would be unfair to make the mods refrain from giving us their 'pearls of wisdom'.

Peace Smile .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Site ideas All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: