BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Members only area for general chat.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we have a members section
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 14 ]
No
42%
 42%  [ 15 ]
Don't care
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 35

Baloo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are missing the point here.

We are all humans (well most of us) on here and sadly there will always be arguments at some point. This is not China and sometimes it is better to let the battles fizzle out themselves.

The idea of a members only section is not to stop fights, it will not, but just to hide them from non members of Box Hill so that there is limited damage to the brand.

I am a firm yes on this idea purely because of that.
Phoenix
'Phenis the tree hugger'
'Phenis the tree hugger'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I don't think an argument thread is necessary, but I idon't think that a members area would be detrimental. it would be a whole other area, perhaps some of the NSFW could be popped in on occasion IE Bigarse, Tuskies toy tumble and mustketeer buttocks, also perhaps a birthday greeting here and there that is not HIDDEN FROM, but of NO INTEREST TO the general public.
trial it, see how it's used, then decide by referendum whether it stays or goes ....
GT
Expert CnutCnut
Expert CnutCnut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not care but at least it will have the desired window dressing to the forum as Baloo put it so nicely!

Mind you it has certainly kick started some decent amount of activity on the forum.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not true though that anyone can create an account and so would be privy to any 'hidden' threads (I do understand that the 'bots wouldn't be able to do this)?

There have been suspicions that on occasions existing members, for reasons best known to them, have created additional accounts (possibly from machines with different IP addresses) so they could 'hide' their identities, so whats to stop anyone doing that?

I think its better to have everything in the open. If potential members are so easily dissuaded from joining because of a few spats and mud slinging then they probably wouldn't understand half of what goes on here!

There is so much other stuff that is good about this forum. It far outweighs the negatives.

Anyway, look at all the new members recently! Have they been put off?

(Dunc, is this thread hidden as I don't want anyone thinking we have differences of opinion on here Wink )
Flipper
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Va Va Oops wrote:

....that ride back from the airfield where CH and I got slated for 'buzzing the group' ....you'd all have been left way behind and probably lost if we hadn't blatted it to the front, marked the corners, and spaced out and waited for you all to catch up. Sometimes perceptions are different from positions in the group...

on a wobblers Rolling Eyes yeah right.................

Back to the thread - if enough people want it then add it - is my opinion.

If you don't want it then don't go in there, simple. Wink
Va Va Oops
Va Va Yes yes yes yes!!!!
Va Va Yes yes yes yes!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put Jimbo. Absolutely spot on!

Flipper ...when we get a suitable place to do so, I will tell you why I think I was 80% right and only 20% naughty on that specific occassion (it is not typical of my usual behaviour)
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Va Va Oops wrote:
Well put Jimbo. Absolutely spot on!

Flipper ...when we get a suitable place to do so, I will tell you why I think I was 80% right and only 20% naughty on that specific occassion (it is not typical of my usual behaviour)

Not having a pop, but if that was the ride back from Shorham then I was one of the 20% ..... Shocked It must have been close I still remember it like yesterday ..... Surprised

runs to find lynch mob and matches ......... Laughing
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I am just a newbie (ish) But isn't the idea of a forum is that it is public discussion?

If i Google a topic (Harley rust, Bandit tappets, gpz fuel economy, who is the biggest twat at Boxhill apart from myself) I expect to be able to find that information freely and easily.

If there is a members forum you might as well start a BoxHill club by invitation only, IMHO.

The reason someone like myself, with the many sociological problems I bring, Very Happy enjoys the forum is that it is an open place for all to view, with no prejudice about who you are or how long you have known the group, or how many ride-outs you have been on.

I dont agree and have voted as such. I f I am wrong may the moderators smite me with a lightning bolt.

Or at least a vigorous spanking ;-)
Very Happy
SkateKitten
Drag Racer
Drag Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another complete newbie viewpoint here having joined earlier today!

I'm on another forum where there is a sub forum which is invite only and only has a handful of members in it. Its fine for the people in there as its all nice and secret but it has created a 'them' and 'us' scenario which reminds me of school with the cool group and everyone else. I don't think it works very well tbh.

On the other side of things, someone mentioned the option where you have to be logged in to see the forum and that I do think is a good idea. The fact that it isn't actually is a bit off-putting to me as a newbie as anyone can see pretty much all info without taking the trouble of logging in.

Just my thoughts.
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkateKitten wrote:

I'm on another forum where there is a sub forum which is invite only and only has a handful of members in it. Its fine for the people in there as its all nice and secret but it has created a 'them' and 'us' scenario which reminds me of school with the cool group and everyone else. I don't think it works very well tbh.

On the other side of things, someone mentioned the option where you have to be logged in to see the forum and that I do think is a good idea. The fact that it isn't actually is a bit off-putting to me as a newbie as anyone can see pretty much all info without taking the trouble of logging in.

Just my thoughts.
..................and very good thoughts too
The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fcuk me, WD being nice to someone. Wot is going on I don't know

Are you after something Wink Watch yourself SkateKitten
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mouse wrote:
Fcuk me, WD being nice to someone. Wot is going on I don't know

Are you after something Wink Watch yourself SkateKitten

Mouse.......................................

over 'ere son...........................................

NO, over 'ere............................................

closer....................................

closer...................................................

A kick in the nuts

rolling on the floor laughing
Jay1
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkateKitten wrote:

Just my thoughts.

Have to say I agree with this. I've just signed up on another forum where you have to be a member to see anything. At first I thought it was a bit odd, but thinking about it, it actually makes sense. You have to go to the trouble of joining, so obviously have an interest in whats going on in the first place, before you can trawl through everyones dirty laundry.

Last edited by Jay1 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
ChoccieMuffin
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay1 wrote:
SkateKitten wrote:

Have to say I agree with this. I've just signed up on another forum where you have to be a member to see anything. At first I thought it was a bit odd, but thinking about it, it actually makes sense. You have to go to the trouble of joining, so obviously have an interest in whats going on in the first place, before you can trawl through everyones dirty laundry.

Just my thoughts.

Jay, is that just a long-hand way of writing "+1"? Very Happy
Jay1
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol pretty much yeah.

I put my comment in the wrong bit between the quote.... NUMPTY.

Edited now Embarrassed
andjel
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay1 wrote:
SkateKitten wrote:

Just my thoughts.

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Site ideas All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: