BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking in Cars
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you ban smoking in cars
Yes filthy habit and a distraction to driving
27%
 27%  [ 10 ]
No its and infringement of my civil liberties
24%
 24%  [ 9 ]
Yes I would ban it but only when children are in the car
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Yes I would ban it but only when passengers are in the car
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
I would have a total ban on smoking in any enclosed space
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 37

Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Smoking in Cars Reply with quote

The Royal College of Physicians are calling for a complete ban of smoking in cars. Their reasoning, is mainly to save children from passive smoking.

They would also like to see a ban on smoking in homes. Shocked

What's your take on this?

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring health concerns it is another distraction to a driver. One of my pet hates is fag ends coming out of the car window, not only from the litter point of view but lost count of the number of fag ends that have hit me on the bike. Only a matter or time before they work their way inside my jacket with who knows what consequences. I don't think that smokers should smoke in a car with any non smoker in it at all whether they are young or old. Not sure that a house ban is workable for some people in flats with no open balcony etc

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to inflict my habit on others but what uproar would follow if alcahol became an illegal substance..... Or motorbikes banned as a dangerous form of transport.... It's downright fucking idiocy and in my opinion doesn't even qualify a poll
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a smoker, and for the most part I try not to inflict it on other people. Parents who smoke in the car or at home with their kids nearby, IMO, are pretty irresponsible (I withheld the more colourful language there!)

However the Royal College of Physicians have played a trump card here - children! They have effectively made any opponent to this action a social outcast and potential child-abuser, amid cries of, "Won't somebody please think of the children!" There will be tree-huggers all over the country right now being smug and claiming some kind of moral victory over us filthy smokers.

By all means promote awareness, advertise, even tell people directly, but legislation? Sorry, I think it's a step too feckin' far. And I'm sure the Police would be overjoyed at the prospect of having to pull people for smoking, and getting a tirade of abuse every time!
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as smoking in any confined space where there are children - yes this should be banned. However, if an adult in any car I am driving complains about passive smoking I will politly pull over and give them the choice of remaing in the car while I smoke or get out and walk.

I'm a firm beliver that people have the choice - my choice is to smoke and their choice is to stay in the car or not.

I agree with Biggus though that butts should not be flung out the window. Littering is already an offence I believe.

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this came in, would the law state 'any motor vehicle' or 'the enclosed cabin of a car, van or lorry'? If the latter, I will take every opportunity to ride slowly down the high street with a fag hanging out of my mouth Laughing
Baloo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The civil liberties option should be deleted. Both sides will claim rights to civil liberties infringements.

I voted yes to a ban, not just because of children but because I have yet to get into a smoker's car which did not stink to high heaven of stale smoke or did not have a windscreen coated in a film of grey fug. Nod ideal for night time visibility.

As a recipient of a lighted fag end being thrown into an open car window as a child. I very much agree with Biggus. The car was fibreglass (no, not a Robin Reliant Smile ), my mother was driving with two small children in the car and the fag end fell down between the seat and transmission tunnel. It caused her blind panic until she could pull over and get us out, not good for safety. Shocked
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell, if they want to ban smoking in cars with kids in them who the hell am I going to cadge a fag off!?!
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember many a heated argument on here when the smoking ban for public places came in, for me it was a brilliant thing because I had spent most of my life avoiding pubs due to asthma....

It wasn't so much the wheezing or anything but after attending a pub meet, I always came down with bronchitis a few days later and then got stuck on antibiotics.

Smoking in a car is strange one because I have no problem if people want to fumigate themselves in their own private space but I will admit that even if I go in a smokers car or house and they aren't smoking, my chest still tightens and I begin to wheeze... then the sinuses close up... etc etc..

Realistically and apart from health issues, I think it probably is a distraction when you drive but can't say for sure, as I don't smoke Wink

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it illegal to consume food or drink when driving, so therefore smoking would logically follow suit.
Drag Racer
Drag Racer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for a ban when there are other passengers in the car. If a smoker is in the car by themselves then fair enough, I don't see a need for banning it, its their choice to smoke.

I'm not a smoker however I've grown up with both my parents being heavy smokers so I know first hand how passive smoking affects children. Both my brothers and I have had on-going health problems which are a direct result of passive smoking so anything that helps minimise this for other children is fine by me.

Whilst there are some parents who smoke who are careful not to smoke in the house or car or near children, lets face it, not all parents are going to be so responsible so it would have to be legislation rather than just advice.

Not sure how they would enforce this though.
Just call me Janice...
Just call me Janice...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tricky one. Parents should be encouraged to smoke away from their children but you can't stop someone smoking if they don't want to. I'm not a smoker but I think the government goes too far at times and it's another nod towards the progressive nanny state.
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it (and I'm sure an officer of the Leur will correct me here), the highway code recommends that you do not do anything which may cause you a distraction while driving. The offence would be, in extreme cases, driving without due care and attention.

So what else is a distraction in cars?

Changing the radio station
Changing the CD
Carrying children!!!
Eating
Drinking
Dicking with your satnav
Talking
Looking at a pretty girl walking along the street
etc etc...

Twisted Evil Poke
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
If this came in, would the law state 'any motor vehicle' or 'the enclosed cabin of a car, van or lorry'? If the latter, I will take every opportunity to ride slowly down the high street with a fag hanging out of my mouth Laughing

I used to light up at the Waterloo Imax roundabout and bimble over Waterloo bridge with a fag on the go. The Pan's got an ashtray dontcha know Laughing

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
nosnowking wrote:

I used to light up at the Waterloo Imax roundabout and bimble over Waterloo bridge with a fag on the go. The Pan's got an ashtray dontcha know Laughing

And a cup holder, a cigarette lighter, a stereo, split rear folding seats etc Laughing
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
I will take every opportunity to ride slowly down the high street with a fag hanging out of my mouth Laughing

That's gay Best bring your old avatar back Laughing

Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think they should ban smoking in cars, but we should blame smoking for global warming ! Laughing
HCMS
Slack Alice/Gay Martian
Slack Alice/Gay Martian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy Z750 wrote:
Parents should be encouraged to smoke

Shocked
Laughing

I voted ban it... Ban it all. Simply because I don't smoke and I want to see the smokers suffer Very Happy

Really though, I didn't agree with the pub ban when it came in, don't get me wrong, it is great going into a pub now and being able to see more than 3 feet in front of me but before the ban I could, as a non smoker make the choice between going into a smoky pub or not.

I just hope that smoking bans don't lead to other bans of things that are enjoyed by people but that may be slightly dangerous to health, alcohol, sex, breathing in MDF dust, any "extreme sport" etc...

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

100 Mile Cycle for Macmillan on 4th August 13. Please donate if you can!
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/PeterSnell
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tusky wrote:
nosnowking wrote:
I will take every opportunity to ride slowly down the high street with a fag hanging out of my mouth Laughing

That's gay Best bring your old avatar back Laughing

Dammit, I can't find it now!
Biker-Spawn
"Magneto"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted ban, but not because of passive smoking or anything like that. The only reason I'd vote banning smoking in cars is because of fag butts being thrown out of windows. Like the big man said, amount of times hit by fag butts etc etc...although I've only been hit by a couple, it is VERY at night when a fag butt hits the road and fires up hot ash and sparks in front of me. It causes me to swerve nearly every time. And I know I've been a passenger in cars a few times where cars have swerved because of fag butts sparking in front of them.

How many people is that putting in danger? Rolling Eyes

If you can't get it going with bungee cords and gaffa tape, it's serious.
lost again
Dancing tree frog!
Dancing tree frog!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where's the option i'd like the goverment to wipe my fucking arse for me as well.
i voted not with kids in the car Smile
ScattyMare
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my job i visit a lady who is 58 with very poor lung health, she has a lung age of a 75 yr old. she has never smoked and the GP's, consultants ect find this difficult believe.
her condition is due to passive smoking from her parents...admittedly when informations was not given or known about the damage to health that smoking can cause.

I feel that with all the information we have today about the damage it can cause, given that a child cannot nessesarily understand the health risks, then as parents and responsible adults, we should not allow smoking in a confined space where children are.
I was an horrific offender when i look back...i used to breast/bottle feed my elder kids with a fag hanging out my mouth, the only worry i thought then was not to let ash fall on them and burn them!!

Fortunately all my kids where still at home with me when i quit..and they havent started smoking. it was one of the most difficult things to do, quit, and i think they saw this for themselves. Nicotine is dangerously addictive.
Roughie
Martini Model
Martini Model

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me started on the smoking subject again Twisted Evil

[url=http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/Roughiediamond]Click Here to find Roughie on Facebook [/url]
Sharky
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have kids, and the only regular passenger in my car is my girlfriend, who is also a smoker... So i don't usually think anythng of having a fag while driving.

Having said that... if i have a non-smoker in the car, my parents for example.. i will usually refrain from sparking up or at least ask if they mind on a long journey.
Biker-Spawn
"Magneto"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djSharky wrote:
I don't have kids, and the only regular passenger in my car is my girlfriend, who is also a smoker... So i don't usually think anythng of having a fag while driving.

Having said that... if i have a non-smoker in the car, my parents for example.. i will usually refrain from sparking up or at least ask if they mind on a long journey.

I really do hope you don't flick it out the window though! Shocked

If you can't get it going with bungee cords and gaffa tape, it's serious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: