BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking in Cars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you ban smoking in cars
Yes filthy habit and a distraction to driving
27%
 27%  [ 10 ]
No its and infringement of my civil liberties
24%
 24%  [ 9 ]
Yes I would ban it but only when children are in the car
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Yes I would ban it but only when passengers are in the car
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
I would have a total ban on smoking in any enclosed space
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 37

nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biker-Spawn wrote:
djSharky wrote:
I don't have kids, and the only regular passenger in my car is my girlfriend, who is also a smoker... So i don't usually think anythng of having a fag while driving.

Having said that... if i have a non-smoker in the car, my parents for example.. i will usually refrain from sparking up or at least ask if they mind on a long journey.

I really do hope you don't flick it out the window though! Shocked

Only when there's a Hornet behind Twisted Evil
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djSharky wrote:
I don't have kids, and the only regular passenger in my car is my girlfriend, who is also a smoker... So i don't usually think anythng of having a fag while driving.

Having said that... if i have a non-smoker in the car, my parents for example.. i will usually refrain from sparking up or at least ask if they mind on a long journey.

Now that's an interesting one because if someone is good enough to give you a lift and it's their car, aren't the more mild natured individuals amongst us (myself included) going to say "yes that's fine". Question

Must admit, after seeing some of the news reports of lung disease and health problems from childhood passive smoking, my position is now, to ban it in the home as well but only if children live there.... ie under 16.... although most of them will have started at 13 anyway Laughing

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO it's shit like this that makes smokers who may be considering quitting say "fuck you..... I'll stop when I want to .... Not cos you tell me to" just to make a stand against the oppression.
As I said I try not to inflict my habit on others and unless told otherwise I go outside to light up when in someone elses private space .... After that as far as I'm concerned if it's only my health in jeopardy that's my choice.
I know a few people that like a curry and although I'm a garlic lover I can't stand the stench of it on so done elses breath so.... In line with our nanny state I shouldn't be put under that kind of duress as it is harmful to my blood pressure ...... Therefore .....fuck off out of my personal space you smelly breathed Cnut..........( not nice is it?).
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm right ok, I put forward the motion that all internal combustion engines be banned. The reason, well, while mummy pushes the little angel around in the buggy the said little angel is fairly close the level of exhaust pipes. Not such a problem in the 'burbs, but in city centres it must be hell for them. Can't be any good for their health.....
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
erm right ok, I put forward the motion that all internal combustion engines be banned. The reason, well, while mummy pushes the little angel around in the buggy the said little angel is fairly close the level of exhaust pipes. Not such a problem in the 'burbs, but in city centres it must be hell for them. Can't be any good for their health.....

I fear your proposal does not go far enough...while toddlers are learning to walk they face many dangers in the home, such as banging their heads on the corners of tables and chairs...I propose we ban all tables and chairs from public and private places
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSEX-SLAPPY wrote:

I know a few people that like a curry and although I'm a garlic lover I can't stand the stench of it on so done elses breath so.... In line with our nanny state I shouldn't be put under that kind of duress as it is harmful to my blood pressure ...... Therefore .....fuck off out of my personal space you smelly breathed Cnut..........( not nice is it?).

The thing is whilst Curry laced BO is not the nicest of odors, it's not going to harm you is it?

Or to put it another way, if you had a guest at your house, would you lace their food with ground almonds, if you knew they had a bad nut allergy?

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tusky wrote:
Or to put it another way, if you had a guest at your house, would you lace their food with ground almonds, if you knew they had a bad nut allergy?

Not really for me, I don't think the people I hate have nut allegies Wink
Biker-Spawn
"Magneto"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, 84.6% vote for ban. 15.4% vote that it's an infringement of civil liberties.

I could say that it's an infringement of MY civil liberties for people to make me breathe their cigarette smoke. The stuff chokes me. And on cold mornings, if I'm riding behind a car whose driver is smoking, even THAT will make it difficult for me to breathe.

Surely I have a right to breathe without feeling as if I'm being choked? Isn't that one of my civil liberties?

However, in most instances I realise if someone wants to smoke, that's their choice. If someone is in their own private space, fine. If someone is doing it on the street, fine. In their car, (despite my breathing problem) I don't object to the smoke, just the fag butt being thrown out the window. If there were a way to prevent fag butts being flicked carelessly out of car windows, I'd be fine with people smoking in the car too. Unfortunately, that isn't the case...and I think I have a right to ride without being startled or hit by fag butts. I think that is one of my civil liberties.

Someone who knows better please do correct me if I'm wrong, but if I am hit by a fag butt someone has flicked out of their window, isn't that "technically" assault? And if it burns me, wouldn't that be ABH or GBH dependent on the extent of damage it causes?

If you can't get it going with bungee cords and gaffa tape, it's serious.
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting things statistics. BS says that it's an 85% in bavour of a ban with only 15% saying no ban.

Based on the 26 votes so far I read it as 58% voting to allow people to continue smoking in their own car with 15% wanting an all out ban. It just goes to show that stats can be fudged to stronly support any point of view.

I'm a smoker and am happy to be one. I don't smoke when I drive as I dint like having the lit cigarete in my hand when I'm driving what can be described as a leathal and dangerous weapon.

As far as civil liberties goes, if i'm in my car and I light up a cigarete it's my right to do so. A lot of non smokers seem to forget that they have the right to get out of the car if they don't like the smoke. Same for smoking areas outside pubs and at work.

If you don't want to inhale secondary smoke then stay away from the designated smoking areas - like my car for instance

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
Biker-Spawn
"Magneto"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boudicas wrote:
Interesting things statistics. BS says that it's an 85% in bavour of a ban with only 15% saying no ban.

Based on the 26 votes so far I read it as 58% voting to allow people to continue smoking in their own car with 15% wanting an all out ban. It just goes to show that stats can be fudged to stronly support any point of view.

Read the thread!

Question: Would you ban smoking in cars.

26 votes total.

7 votes on yes, filthy habit/distraction = 26.9%
7 votes on yes, if children in car = 26.9%
4 votes on yes, if passengers in car = 15.4%
4 votes on yes, in any enclosed space = 15.4 %
4 votes on no, civil liberties infringement = 15.4%

Which means:

15.4% completely against the ban. (civil liberties infringement)
42.3% completely in favour of the ban. (Yes, distraction to driving & complete ban in all enclosed spaces)
42.3% on a ban/to allow it under certain conditions. (children/passengers)

So, really, the 42.3% is in the middle ground. 42.3% vote on a complete ban in enclosed spaces, which includes the car. And 15.4% are completely against it. The question on the poll wasn't about a ban in all enclosed spaces, so the 15.4% voting for a ban on all enclosed spaces is irrelevant to this thread for that subject, but IS relevant for the subject of a ban on smoking in cars, because that is still an enclosed space.

That could be read as 84.6% are in favour of the ban, or it could be read as 57.7% against the ban.

boudicas wrote:
If you don't want to inhale secondary smoke then stay away from the designated smoking areas - like my car for instance

As I'd said, I have no objection to people SMOKING in their car. My reason for supporting the ban on smoking in cars is because of people flicking fag butts out their windows. I have a right not to be hit/burnt/startled by burning fag butts when I am on the road.

If you can't get it going with bungee cords and gaffa tape, it's serious.
SkateKitten
Drag Racer
Drag Racer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boudicas wrote:
As far as civil liberties goes, if i'm in my car and I light up a cigarete it's my right to do so. A lot of non smokers seem to forget that they have the right to get out of the car if they don't like the smoke. Same for smoking areas outside pubs and at work.

What started all this off is not other adults in the car, who as you say, have a choice to get out of the car, its children.

Children don't have the choice, they are stuck in a confined space with one or more smokers and it has a direct impact to their health.
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkateKitten wrote:
boudicas wrote:

What started all this off is not other adults in the car, who as you say, have a choice to get out of the car, its children.

Children don't have the choice, they are stuck in a confined space with one or more smokers and it has a direct impact to their health.

Well said Wink

Oh and people..... let's not ignore the efect passive smoking has on our Dog and Pussy Laughing

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Live and let live"... Simples

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GSEX-SLAPPY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tusky wrote:
GSEX-SLAPPY wrote:

The thing is whilst Curry laced BO is not the nicest of odors, it's not going to harm you is it?

If like a lot of people I find that oudour offensive is that not causing Unwanted stress which if I'm correct is an offence in the work place so why should that not be extended into social activity or a total ban on the consumption of anything liable to leave an oudour thus causing an assault on my nasal passage which in turn irritates me causing unneccarsary stress resulting in a poorer quality of health.... Oh hang on .... Isn't that the same ban some are calling for against smoking ? If you break it down it's no different...in one way or another it's harmful
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

hehehe
Roughie
Martini Model
Martini Model

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You eat garlic your breath stinks of Garlic
You eat onions your breath stinks of onions
you smoke your breath stinks of old fags so does your hair your clothes and mine Sad

If you wanna kill yourself then that's up to you, i don't give a shit .... but it is your right to do so, i don't agree with people smoking around children and do think it should be banned around them, they don't have a choice, if mummy or daddy etc smoke.

[url=http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/Roughiediamond]Click Here to find Roughie on Facebook [/url]
lost again
Dancing tree frog!
Dancing tree frog!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
lost again
Dancing tree frog!
Dancing tree frog!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugger your too quick Very Happy
lost again
Dancing tree frog!
Dancing tree frog!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughie wrote:
You eat garlic your breath stinks of Garlic
You eat onions your breath stinks of onions
you smoke your breath stinks of old fags so does your hair your clothes and mine Sad

If you wanna kill yourself then that's up to you, i don't give a shit .... but it is your right to do so, i don't agree with people smoking around children and do think it should be banned around them, they don't have a choice, if mummy or daddy etc smoke.
so should kids be banned from the back of bikes ?
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Only if the rider is smoking
lost again
Dancing tree frog!
Dancing tree frog!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
Quote:

rolling on the floor laughing
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkateKitten wrote:
boudicas wrote:

Couldn't agree more - and thats why I voted fro a ban on smoking with children in the car

boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost again wrote:
Taz wrote:
Quote:

rolling on the floor laughing

rolling on the floor laughing rolling on the floor laughing rolling on the floor laughing

boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biker-Spawn wrote:

My reason for supporting the ban on smoking in cars is because of people flicking fag butts out their windows. I have a right not to be hit/burnt/startled by burning fag butts when I am on the road.

SkateKitten wrote:

Just to clarify my stance I refer people to my earlier post in the thread...

boudicas wrote:
As far as smoking in any confined space where there are children - yes this should be banned. However, if an adult in any car I am driving complains about passive smoking I will politly pull over and give them the choice of remaing in the car while I smoke or get out and walk.

I'm a firm beliver that people have the choice - my choice is to smoke and their choice is to stay in the car or not.

I agree with Biggus though that butts should not be flung out the window. Littering is already an offence I believe.

nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fcuk passive smoking, Look at this Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: