BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoke breaks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it fair that a smoker who takes a "fag breaks" still clocks on/off at the same times as a non smoker at work?
Yes it's fair so long as they do the required amount of work
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
No, it's not fair, even if they do the required amount of work
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
How dare you question my smoking habits, it's an infringement of my civil liberty's
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Other - please explain
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 19

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Smoke breaks Reply with quote

Ok here's one for you...

Is it fair that a smoker who takes a "fag breaks" still clocks on/off at the same times as a non smoker at work?

This is not a reformed smoker question, even when I smoked, I never smoked from the moment I walked through the door until I left the premises either for lunch or at the end of the day, because, I had colleagues who used to regularly disappear hourly for 10 mins at a time on "fag breaks" and it pissed me off.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Miss G
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you stop working to make a cup of tea during the day?

I’m impressed, I’ve never met such a small mind inside such a big head before.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss G wrote:
Do you stop working to make a cup of tea during the day?

No, I have staff for that

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Baloo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I have no problem if they take a fag break or two, as long as they are equally as productive / effective as anyone who does not smoke.

One thiing that used to piss me off though was people taking 3 or 4 20 minute fag breaks during the day, plus tea breaks plus extended lunches and then said they were too busy to take on extra work.

This all blurs into one if we also consider those people take too much time on the internet, personal phone calls etc. It is no different to taking a fag break.

It also depends on the job they do to some extent in my mind. Someone who is doing a mind numbing admin job, will need a break compared to someone who may have a more mixed role which may be more mentally stimulating.
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Voted "OTHER"

OK. Here's how it works where I'm employed.....

Everyone is entitled to a 10 minute break during the morning and another in the afternoon. If the smokers want to smoke in their break they can (in the designated corner of the car park)

However, the company kept quiet about the fact that everyone is entitled to a break by law and were happy to let the non-smokers feel disgruntled about the smokers getting the percieved "extra" breaks. So someone made a complaint to HR about it and the answer that came back was...

"accorning to employment law you cannot be forced to work more than 4 hours without a break. So for thsoe starting at 8:30 this means that if they are on the 1 o'clock lunch they MUST have a break in the morning. Same for the afternoon. Anyone who returns from lunch at 1 MUST have a further break before clocking off at 5."

So the guys I work for allow us to have 2 ten minute breaks a day where smokers can smoke and non-smokers can talk behind the backs of the smokers.

I dont know if thre are any specail exemptions because of the nature of your work Duncan but you will probably find its not a case of the smokers getting extra breaks but rather a case of the non-smokers not knowingt hey are entitled to a break too.

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
gsxrboy 24/7
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to work for a company where at least two people had a 5 min fag break every hr or so, so about 8 breaks a day, 40 mins total. Yet when i grabbed a cuppa once and instead of carrying on working i stopped and read the paper at my desk, i got asked by the manager why i wasn't working, i replied, "i'm having a fag break" (he was one of the smokers) he then said that if the area director saw me he'd go ape and suggested i read the paper out of the office...so i did..for about 10 mins Smile
09 focus tdi :p
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life's too short - see below
darkdreamsgal
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted other - in principle, I don't have a problem with it so long as:
a) they do not then f*ck off home at 6pm and tell me they cannot deliver to everyone else's deadlines (and/or what Baloo said)
b) no one moans to me about my internet / coffee time

Frankly if I don't have the time because I'm full on in the middle of a transaction, then it won't even cross my mind to remember lunch, let alone taking an internet / coffee break.

"You must be a lawyer"
"What makes you say that?"
"You've got that sharp, useless look about you"

Yes, they are, and no, you can't Razz
Flipper
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an adult worker you will normally have the right to a 20 minute rest break if you are expected to work more than six hours at a stretch.

A lunch or coffee break can count as your rest break. Additional breaks might be given by your contract of employment. There is no statutory right to 'smoking breaks'.

The requirements are:

•the break must be in one block

•it cannot be taken off one end of the working day - it must be somewhere in the middle

•you are allowed to spend it away from the place on your employer's premises where you work

•your employer can say when the break must be taken, as long as it meets these conditions
Windy
Just call me Janice...
Just call me Janice...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Smoke breaks Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Ok here's one for you...

This is not a reformed smoker question, even when I smoked, I never smoked from the moment I walked through the door until I left the premises either for lunch or at the end of the day, because, I had colleagues who used to regularly disappear hourly for 10 mins at a time on "fag breaks" and it pissed me off.

Nope, I dont think it is! Not saying I'm whiter than white and I do have the odd 5 minute internet break...however.. one of the Essex contingent is heavy smoker and takes, on average, 4 or 5 fifteen-minute breaks on a daily basis, this is an addition to her lunch hour. I've lost count the number of times I've been asked to do something 'urgent' in her absence Evil or Very Mad . It wound me up so much that a couple of years ago, I found her downstairs puffing away like a chimney and said would she mind curtailing her 'break' as her boss was after her. I'm all for smokers having a fag break(s), fair enough, but they should be made to forgo their lunch hour or make up the time spent away from their desks. By the way, she still leaves the office at 5.30pm on the dot and has never made any gesture to make up the time. A lady where I used to work took regular 10-minute knitting breaks and this was queried by management, she replied 'I'm having a cig break' Nothing further was said Laughing
Tiny
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Baloo. Spot on.
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baloo wrote:
Someone who is doing a mind numbing admin job, will need a break

Which is why I like to surf the net, smoke 40 a day whilst at work and chat to my family on the phone. Makes me more productive in the 20mins I actually give to my company Cool

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

You're Never Alone With Schizophrenia
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I feel an employer rant coming on Embarrassed

It really pisses me off on site when the following things happen...

Smokers needing to down tools and totally stop work for a fag break and leaving the non smoker (me) totally unable to do a two man job Confused

Workers who can't physically talk and work... grrr... they have to look at each other and maintain eye contact Confused

Workers that sit on there arse doing nothing for the entire rest-break and then suddenly have personal telephone calls to make once it is time to start work again Confused

So I guess smoking is not the issue for me but if they take say 6 x 5 minute fag breaks, then that should be 30 mins of their daily allowance used up...

Oh and what really really gets me is seeing a mass of people smoking at the gates of a hospital or supermarket etc.... Confused

and breathe.......... Cool

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tusky wrote:
and breathe.......... Cool

Don't you mean "and cough"? Laughing

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They take their fag breaks AFTER THEIR TEA AND LUNCH BREAKS here, and at least a dozen other times during working time.

Boils my p~~~ as it means I am working hours more as a non smoker ........... Twisted Evil
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted other.

If you work for a company that allows smokers to do this, then there is nothing to stop non smokers from having a break in the fresh air when they like. The employer can then NOT say anything abpit it because they are allowing the smokers to do it. So if your pissed off... Just down tools and go for a coffee. If anyone asks about it tell them you went for a fag break!
Sharky
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
people take too much time on the internet

Embarrassed I'm at work now and reading this thread and generally not being very productive..... Does that make me a bad person Twisted Evil

Right, i'm off for a smoke! Laughing
The Mouse
Forum Ferry Spotter
Forum Ferry Spotter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Smoke breaks Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
This is not a reformed smoker question

yes it is
Pieandbeans
Cheese on toast.. why aye man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boudicas wrote:
I Voted "OTHER"

OK. Here's how it works where I'm employed.....

Everyone is entitled to a 10 minute break during the morning and another in the afternoon. If the smokers want to smoke in their break they can (in the designated corner of the car park)

However, the company kept quiet about the fact that everyone is entitled to a break by law and were happy to let the non-smokers feel disgruntled about the smokers getting the percieved "extra" breaks. So someone made a complaint to HR about it and the answer that came back was...

"accorning to employment law you cannot be forced to work more than 4 hours without a break. So for thsoe starting at 8:30 this means that if they are on the 1 o'clock lunch they MUST have a break in the morning. Same for the afternoon. Anyone who returns from lunch at 1 MUST have a further break before clocking off at 5."

So the guys I work for allow us to have 2 ten minute breaks a day where smokers can smoke and non-smokers can talk behind the backs of the smokers.

I dont know if thre are any specail exemptions because of the nature of your work Duncan but you will probably find its not a case of the smokers getting extra breaks but rather a case of the non-smokers not knowingt hey are entitled to a break too.

Techincally your not entitled to any breaks on a 9-5 day if you get a lunch break..... ?

the law states 20 mins for each 6 hours worked and those 20mins you do not have to be paid for.... If you have a designated 1 hour lunch break your employer is providing you you 20 min break for the day....
look at this link for confermation ...

http://www.impacttlimited.com/2008/11/14/uk-employment-law-update-changes-to-interpretation-of-rest-break-requirements/

I allow my staff in the kitchen 1 quick fag before service ... then they wait till there shift is finished ... its there choice to smoke not mine ... thats all ways been my rules... and have punished some people rather harshly for it..... Smoking is a choice and you should not take smoke breaks on duty but thats just my opinion... think about how much your company looses in fag breaks every year ......

1 person takes 10 mins 4 times a day lets say
thats 40 mins a day
200 mins a week
800 mins a month
lets say paid at £6 a hour wage.... thats £80 a month
thats £960 a year loss working hours for 1 year.. imagine in larger companies where they have 300 smokers....

Smoking is a personal choice do it on you personal time... who cares if it is addictive so are drugs and alcohol.... imagine how quick you would get fired if you nipped off for 10 min to shoot up or snort a line in the board room... or down a couple off shots off vodka....

thats my input...

Dave

Vita a bitchten vos matrimonium unus

There is nothing better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.
lost again
Dancing tree frog!
Dancing tree frog!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

non smokers are such what a w***er Rolling on the floor laughing
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it all boils down to the work ethic. If someone takes any opportunity to have a break, be it tea, coffee, having a fag or going for a shit, they will find the time to do it. It's been said already, but people who take 15 mins for a fag break is unnecessary. But then again so is stopping work to have a chat, browse the net, look at BHF and any other mindless task.

Personally, I never take a lunch break, preferring to nip off for a few fag breaks every now and then instead. It takes me about 5 mins max to roll and smoke a cig. Usually a lot less. I probably take less break time than someone who rigidly sits down for their designated lunch hour. I never take a break during critical times.

If someone won't take ownership of their workload, then there is a deeper issue there. Blaming it on cig breaks and imposing draconian controls on break times won't solve the issue.
gsxrboy 24/7
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was one guy at this firm, didn't smoke, but, he would spend the first ten mins on monday reading the footie pages of about 3 redtops, then, whenever he spoke to a customer for the rest of the day on the phone or at the trade counter he would proceed to talk for 20 mins on all the games over the weekend (if they were regular customers and into football that is), it gets quite boring hearing the same shit about football for 8 hours... i'm all for customer relations but he must have "wasted" at least an hr every monday during the footie season...
09 focus tdi :p
Pieandbeans

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost again wrote:
non smokers are such what a w***er Rolling on the floor laughing

LoL ....... thats the best you could come up with ??.................... that smoke be killing to many off those brain cells...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Vita a bitchten vos matrimonium unus

There is nothing better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.
SkinnyHulk
"Brokeback"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love working outside i can smoke AND work at the same time. and you office jockeys, probably have access to a laptop, log on outside and smoke and work Twisted Evil

i accept no liability for loss or damage resulting from my advice, if you wanna plug a laptop into the mains whilst outside and raining, consider it darwinism Smile

[/url]
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Smoke breaks Reply with quote

The Mouse wrote:
biggus wrote:
This is not a reformed smoker question

yes it is

No it's not, I did ask the same question a few years ago when I was a smoker. It's just something that came up again at work. And as the rest of the paragraph you have quoted from says "... even when I smoked, I never smoked from the moment I walked through the door until I left the premises either for lunch or at the end of the day, because, I had colleagues who used to regularly disappear hourly for 10 mins at a time on "fag breaks" and it pissed me off."

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: