BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Be a blood donor!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firecracker
Mad Squirrel Lady
Mad Squirrel Lady

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Be a blood donor! Reply with quote

In a similar vein to Biggus's organ donor thread (pun intended Laughing ) I have a serious request: Please consider becoming a regular blood donor.

http://www.blood.co.uk

Why am I asking you to do this? Because I no longer can Sad

My recent adventures in hospital and the 5 litres of blood they transfused into me, make me ineligible to be a blood donor. I used to regularly donate my O negative blood as my way of sharing the blessing of my good health with others. Thankfully for me, other donors out there gave the precious gift of their time and a few moments of discomfort to donate their blood so that it was there when I was rushed to A&E with my broken pelvis last June. Had these people not come forward, I would not be here today. Period.

Common objections:

"But I don't like needles!" - Oh, and I do? Rolling Eyes For pity's sake, grow a pair! Instead of focusing on how scary that needle stick is gonna be, focus on how good it feels to be the difference between life and death for someone else.

"But it takes too much time" - Pah. There are loads of donation locations and sessions, including late evenings. Total process, even for someone like me who takes ages to pump out a pint, is less than 45 mins. Bring a book or magazine & enjoy some quality "me" time whilst you wait.

"But I don't know if they'll take me" - If you're worried that recent travel or illness might scupper your chances of donating, give the blood service a call on 0300 123 23 23. Their friendly staff will answer all your questions, allay your fears & save you a wasted trip if for some reason you don't qualify.

So if you want to make a massive difference to people's lives without donating billions of pounds to the underprivileged half a world away, sign up online at http://www.blood.co.uk
or over the phone on 0300 123 23 23

Thank you - from the bottom of my (still beating Wink ) heart.

FC
xx
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh huh uh huh... she said biggus' organ Laughing

Timely reminder thanks FC< I've not been for a while, so I shall extract digit and get on the case Smile

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't it only stop you from donating for 12months?

Its the same as if you've just had a tattoo or piercing, I had 17 litres after my accident but was allowed to donate after 12 months, unless they've changed the rules since then Confused

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

You're Never Alone With Schizophrenia
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must have changed the rules, just checked the website and your right can't give blood if you've received it.

well there ya go Confused

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ_DJ wrote:
They must have changed the rules, just checked the website and your right can't give blood if you've received it.

Interesting, didn't know that. Guess that makes it more important to give blood then if you can if there is a significant additional group that can't.

First time I gave blood I was 18 and I'd been to the far east 2 years before "did you have sex with any men in Japan and Korea... ermm let me think... Jimmy Hill "

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:

Interesting, didn't know that. Guess that makes it more important to give blood then if you can if there is a significant additional group that can't.

First time I gave blood I was 18 and I'd been to the far east 2 years before "did you have sex with any men in Japan and Korea... ermm let me think... Jimmy Hill "

Yeah its hard to tell out there isn't it, so do you think you were alright Twisted Evil

SkinnyHulk
"Brokeback"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gave blood on tuesday, everyone who can should, my first time blood session i gave a pint in 3.5 minutes i was so scared.

[/url]
Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at about my 50th session next time, well worth doing. Make sure you have eaten well that day, and of course top up with tea biscuits & crisps after (all free) ! Very Happy
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular donor for years here, and they want my platelets now. I can understand some have fears about it, but its such a worthwhile thing to do.

I just hope I don't end up in the non-donor group Shocked .
megawatt
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's bloody selfish for ANY motorcyclist to not give blood We are one of the highest AT RISK groups. Imagine if you need it, you expect others to donate. JUST DO IT!!!
Tango
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom
Sicknote - The Prophet Of Doom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go down the pub after, do you get pissed quicker ie only 7 pints of blood to share the .... Guinness ..... Laughing
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to but im not allowed Crying or Very sad
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
If you go down the pub after, do you get pissed quicker ie only 7 pints of blood to share the .... Guinness ..... Laughing

the first time i gave blood was when i was at uni and i went straight to the bar from the blood wagon. Never been so ill in my life from booze. Just had to test the theory of course Laughing

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Flintstone
Del Boy Deer Hunter
Del Boy Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Spike wrote:

the first time i gave blood was when i was at uni and i went straight to the bar from the blood wagon. Never been so ill in my life from booze. Just had to test the theory of course Laughing

That's one of the reasons that some students do it. Makes a cheaper night out + it's a loss of at least 3,000 calories.
Posh Bird
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flintstone wrote:

That's one of the reasons that some students do it. Makes a cheaper night out + it's a loss of at least 3,000 calories.

That depends on how many biscuits you eat with the tea they give you afterwards. I usually find a packet of custard creams somewhere in amongst the digestives...
The Teacher
Cabbage club member #2
Cabbage club member #2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent got much left to give after the blood sucking bitch i was with for years Very Happy

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

It`s All in the wrist.
KeepItSimple
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we're donating on Nov 19th. Peter has done several times. I have been TRYING to donate for the best part of a year but I keep getting off work late and missing the appointment or they're on days that I'm working the following day and i'm not allowed to drive the ambulances having given blood the previous evening for some weird reason.....

.....something to do with becoming woozy and losing control....or some cobblers! Rolling Eyes

"Treat every stressful situation as if you were a dog: if you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away"

"Friendship is like peeing yourself...everyone can see it but only you can feel the true warmth it brings!"
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**bump** donated the other day, and only just thought to ressurect this thread. If you can, please do Smile

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular donor here, and I've got the badges to prove it Laughing .
Do it folks, you never know, you may need to make a withdrawl one day.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:
I've got the badges to prove

My mum warned me about folk like you who hang around at railway stations wearing lots of badges Wink Laughing

JimBo wrote:
Do it folks, you never know, you may need to make a withdrawl one day.

I'm with and you also never know when you may have to stop donating, so do it while you can Cool

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

National Blood week next week... http://www.blood.co.uk/news/nbw/

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for those on faecesbook http://www.facebook.com/NHSBlood

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

NAPA121
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plucked up courage and gave blood yesterday for the first time.

It's not that bad and it's for a good cause so will become a regular donor from now on.

Cheers
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAPA121 wrote:
Plucked up courage and gave blood yesterday for the first time.

It's not that bad and it's for a good cause so will become a regular donor from now on.

Cheers

2 Thumbs up well done, I'm not the biggest needle fan it has to be said, but it really doesn't hurt at all. You can donate 3 times a year, I am aiming for twice a year.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

ScattyMare
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter - Skye, passed out with school vaccine, had panic attack when had to give blood sample

But she believes in giving blood that a few days after her 17th she gave blood, sick and fainted - she has her next appointment to give again

What a brave girl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: