BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Be a blood donor!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done this myself as I didn't realise it was a separate donation, but Platelet donation is as important, if not more so than whole blood http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
I've not done this myself as I didn't realise it was a separate donation, but Platelet donation is as important, if not more so than whole blood http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/

Tell that to Bob!

They cannot take platelet donations at usual donor locations, only dedicated facilities. Nearest to us is St Georges, Tooting.

This requires a greater commitment in time, but hey, here's hoping the rest of us won't need a top up!
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump* Smile

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the impending Olympics & even more people than usual in London looking the wrong way. Increased blood donation frequency for men: Now every 12 weeks (think it used to be 16 weeks).

http://blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/who-can-give-blood/

Quote:
Thank you for your most recent group B+ blood donation made on Thursday 23 February.

We're working hard to build blood stocks ahead of the summer Olympic Games which makes every donation particularly important right now.

The good news is that a change to our eligibility criteria means male donors can now give blood up to 4 times every 12 months, as long as they wait for at least 12 weeks between donations. This follows a review by NHSBT of practices in other countries where this has been shown to be safe.

The pressure on blood stocks has never been greater as the Games draw closer. You're not eligible to donate again just yet but we very much hope you will give blood ahead of the 27 July starting date.

Please contact us today to find out when and where you can give blood, and to book an appointment. Your next donation will help us ensure there is no negative impact on those in need of blood.

Book to donate on http://www.blood.co.uk

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I finally got off my arse and registered on the blood.co.uk site. Nasty man with needles will be calling soon.

I don't think I've ever had sex with a man or worked as a prostitute, so I should be ok Very Happy
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
I don't think I've ever had sex with a man or worked as a prostitute, so I should be ok Very Happy

Can't sell what you can't give away Laughing Smile

Well done by the way Cool

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appointment made Cool Smile

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:

For this Friday in fact...

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
biggus wrote:

Been vamped... now... time for a nice steak to replenish iron levels Cool

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
biggus wrote:
biggus wrote:

Been vamped... now... time for a nice steak to replenish iron levels Cool

I only do it for the biscuits and the sticker...

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still won't take mine. The bitch goes, but they won't drain every last drop unfortunatly..........I have asked on more than one occasion
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpity bump

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Firecracker
Mad Squirrel Lady
Mad Squirrel Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased to see this thread is still going, even though it's been two years since my accident and initial post.

I'm grateful to each and every one of you who go to the trouble and discomfort of donating blood to save the lives of unknown others. You really are unsung heros and I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for people like you. xx
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firecracker wrote:
Pleased to see this thread is still going, even though it's been two years since my accident and initial post.

I'm grateful to each and every one of you who go to the trouble and discomfort of donating blood to save the lives of unknown others. You really are unsung heros and I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for people like you. xx

And there you have it, a very good reason to donate Cool

My next appointment letter landed on the mat the other day.

AFAIK the not being able to donate any more if you've ever had blood is because of CJD (mad cow disease) which is nigh impossible to detect and is non symtomatic to carriers; it's a one in several billion risk of getting from blood transfusion though.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firecracker wrote:

+1 Smile

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donors like myself have increased stock levels of blood by 30% in the run up to the Olympics.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NHS Blood Donation...
Thousands of blood donors have now downloaded our free session search app, have you ? Available for Apple and Android the app which is available for both smartphones and tablets allows donors to search for and then book their appointment through our National Contact Centre, it also provides Google map support to help you find us ! Give it a try, it’s FREE

If you are on your smartphone or tablet download our NHSGiveBlood app for Apple or Android from the links below.

Go to Apple iTunes Store
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nhs-give-blood/id534496135?mt=8

For Android go to Google Play Store
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.savant.mobile.nhs.nhsgiveblood&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5zYXZhbnQubW9iaWxlLm5ocy5uaHNnaXZlYmxvb2QiXQ..

OR go to the stores and search for NHSGiveBlood.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donated on Friday again. And I'll do the same again in another 12-16 weeks. Cool (men can donate 4x a year, women 3x a year)

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We have 50% fewer registrations amongst 17-18 year olds compared to 2011, can you help to improve this?"

http://blood.co.uk/ Cool

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Miss G
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booked in for early december, to contribute to the christmas rush Smile

I’m impressed, I’ve never met such a small mind inside such a big head before.
honda fatboy
Moto Crosser
Moto Crosser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Another thanks from me..... Reply with quote

Another recipient from you kind donors.....had about 4 bags that I know of. Unsure how many more during the 3 or 4 ops I had in May/June time of this year.

So if you can donate then please do.

I sadly am no longer allowed to partake for the CJD reason Duncan stated earlier.

Had donated for the previous 10 years or so and am little bit gutted that no longer able to!

Thanks again to all that do and Happy Christmas BHFers Surprised)

HFB
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Another thanks from me..... Reply with quote

honda fatboy wrote:
Another recipient from you kind donors.....had about 4 bags that I know of. Unsure how many more during the 3 or 4 ops I had in May/June time of this year.

I sadly am no longer allowed to partake for the CJD reason Duncan stated earlier.

Had donated for the previous 10 years or so and am little bit gutted that no longer able to!

HFB

Merry Christmas matey. I'm booked in for sometime in January for my next session.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Another thanks from me..... Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
honda fatboy wrote:

HFB

Merry Christmas matey. I'm booked in for sometime in January for my next session.

Tomorrow in fact... oops forgot about that

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumpity-bump as Biggus would say!

I have donated blood regularly for years but was identified as having a high platelet count, so I am now donating platelets every month Shocked . A big commitment (1.5 hours each session) but very worthwhile.

I don't want that to sound holier-than-thou, but it's so important to get regular donors on board, so if you don't donate at the moment please give it some serious consideration.

It's certainly better to give than receive in this case!
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Jimbo... I am off the payroll for a few months due to travel but will be back being drained asap...

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> General Off Topic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: