BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swiss & Italian Alpine Tour 2010
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Swiss & Italian Alpine Tour 2010 Reply with quote

Swiss & Italian Alpine Tour 2010

Lauterbrunnen (based) Swiss Alps Tour

I am arranging for a small 'Private Group', of ex Swiss trippers and a few others, who have asked/nagged me to visit the Dolomites next year, however, I thought it would be rather nice and good fun, to run this trip in parellel with an 'Open Invitation' to Lauterbrunnen for forum members, this would mean you could stay in Lauterbrunnen and base your trips from there for a week, rather like we did in 2008. The Dolomite group would say goodbye after the first night and continue for an arduous and slighty more expensive week's touring into Italy and Austria. The hope is, that we would all go down to Lauterbrunnen together and return from there together, although this may be phased over two days on the way back to the Ferry/Tunnel.

The costs at Lauterbrunnen are pretty reasonable and the scenary is amazing, as you can see from the pics on the Swiss Trip 2008 Thread Link

Martin (Moriwaki) has confirmed that he is happy to stay at Lauterbrunnen for the week and act as Lauterbrunnen leader Mexican wave Big thanks to Martin for agreeing to do this 2 Thumbs up

Here we go..... happy biker

Saturday 21st August 2010

Meeting at ours, or Calais, if preferred and then getting the early ferry/tunnel and follow this route Four Elms – Vosges Map Link 446 miles Shocked

We will be staying at this funky place for the night Bubble Hotel Link

Sunday 22nd August

Travelling down to Lauterbrunnen taking in one of the Vorges region's best biking roads. [url=http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=88110+R%C3%A2on-l'Etape&daddr=N66+to:47.774406,7.130127+to:Route+de+Vendlincourt+to:Lauterbrunnen,+Interlaken,+Berne,+Switzerland&geocode=FQKe4gIdPmRoACkTDtQp0IyTRzEwdzeauV8KBA%3BFWBo2gIdgmJrAA%3B%3BFYDM0wIdaBFtAA%3BFYT7xgIdoqh4ACkrGkXACaCPRzHw9BhAiP8ABA&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=11&via=1,2,3&sll=47.794707,7.058029&sspn=0.321052,0.862427&ie=UTF8&ll=47.580231,9.18457&spn=2.579038,6.899414&z=8]Vosges – Lauterbrunnen Map Link[/url] 186 miles

You will be staying in this chalet at Valley Hostel Lauterbrunnen Prices are pretty reasonable at £25 - £30 per night and cooking facilities are available. Please be aware that the first nights accommodation may be a bit mix and match due to numbers !!!

Monday 23rd August

The Dolomite Tour Group will split and head east in the morning and the Lauterbrunnen group will remain for a further 6-7 nights at the chalet until Sunday 29th or Monday 30th August (to be confirmed). That will leave plenty of time to explore the fabulous mountain passes found in the area.... here are some examples....

Suggested Day Tours from Lauterbrunnen

The Sorenberg Tour takes in some stunning scenery on the north side of Lake Thun before heading North and then East into the foothill farmsteads leading to Sorenberg and the modest 3396 ft Brunig Pass. This is a gentle run that is a nice change from the high mountain passes Sorenberg Tour Map Link 103 miiles

The Mont Blanc Tour is optional and may possibly involve an overnight stay due to the mileage Mont Blanc Tour Map Link 401 miles

The Simplon Pass and Locarno Tour is also optional and would be a long day it also involves putting the bikes on a train at Kandersteg for a trip under the mountain to the Sion Valley Simplon Pass and Locarno Map Link 261 miles

The Four Passes.... this is an absolute must, taking in the Grimsel (7103 ft), Nufunen (8130 ft) St Gotthard (6860 ft) and Furka Passes (7976 ft), using this route The Four Passes Map Link 157 miles

Forgetting motorbikes for a minute, there are some awesome places to visit and if you don't go up some of the mountain cable cars and trains, you are really missing out !!!

Sunday 29th / Monday 30th

Meeting up with the Dolomite group on the 29th August, probably at Chaumont in the evening or possibly at Lauterbrunnen / Interlaken midday for a bite to eat but only if the Dolomite Group fancy an extra 70 miles? (Sunday 29th) heading straight to Chaumont for those travelling back on the Bank Holiday Monday ferry/tunnel

Lauterbrunnen - Chaumont Map Link 248 miles

Ferry/Tunnel return to the UK (To be confirmed)

Total Mileage 2000 approx

The rules are simple.....

1) We go as a group but people are free to do their own thing.

2) The pace is pretty relaxed with occasional hoonage, especially when the road demands it. There will always be the facility for people to go faster or slower, if they require it but they would need to let me know, so that I can plan meeting points.

3) You must arrange your own insurance, recovery and hire-bike if needed. Repatriation is your problem, as there will be no support vehicle.

4) If you're interested, you will need to fully commit that you intend to come (no hokey cokey) and pay me a £150 non refundable deposit ASAP. You will also need to book your rooms at the the Bubble Hotel for one night on the 21st August and another night (29th or 30th to be decided), as they require the payment of a 50% at time of booking.

5) People need to be self reliant, I will arrange accommodation at Valley Hostel but booking tunnel/ferries, hotels and alternative routes are your problem. You will be told time and place.... the rest is down to you !!

6) We all try to keep costs down by cooking spaghetti bolognese and pizzas etc. at the Valley Hostel or any other accommodation that has cooking facilities but you have to do your fair share of helping out.

If you're interested in doing this trip, you will need to budget £75.00 per day for fuel, food and accommodation. If you're taking a pillion, then budget £120.00 per day for the pair.

I will do my best to find rooms that suit your requirements, this will be based on who confirms and stumps up their deposit money first but please remember that accommodation on the Lauterbrunnen nights of Sunday 22nd and Sunday 29th may need to be rather 'group friendly' Shocked especially if numbers are high Laughing You also need to be aware, that the Dolomite Group will not be adding their names on this list and arrangements have and are already being made.

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Last edited by Tusky on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the passes featured on this trip.

http://www.bikecam.ch/paesse/pass_susten.htm
http://www.bikecam.ch/paesse/pass_grimsel.htm

http://www.bikecam.ch/paesse/pass_furka.htm

http://www.bikecam.ch/paesse/pass_gotthard.htm

http://www.bikecam.ch/paesse/pass_nufenen.htm

Roll on August Cool
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from Martin's post, here are some pics of those Mountain Passes .

Susten Pass

A dramatic ascent through a wooded valley opens up to give you a view of the Titlis mountains.

A tunnel framing an amazing vista of the Titlis mountains

Looking down on the glacier at 6000ft, you can ride up the farm track and then walk to the glacier.

Moriwaki with the glacier in the background..

The Furka Pass

At the top of the Furka Pass and enjoying the snow

Looking at the descent route and the road to the Grimsel Pass in the distance

Ooh er Misses! Hope the ice melts

Time for a map

Lauterbrunnen is south of Interlaken on the map and the five mountain passes of interest are in the area indicated with the big red arrow.

Grimsel Pass

This give some idea of what the switchbacks are like on the southern approach to the Grimsel.

Hitting the snow line, the road in the background runs up to the Furka Pass

It may have been late August but this was one days snow

Looking north from Grimsel

Heading north from the Grimsel the terrain changes completely and becomes quite surreal at times

Nufenen Pass

At 8130ft this is the highest Swiss Pass, only took one pic as I was in awe of the road on the way up

St Gottard Pass

After leaving Nufenen you head down towards Italy and then up the new St Gottard Pass.

This is viewing the old St Gottard Pass great fun if you like cobble roads !!!

Looking to the right, it carries on like this for miles. Awesome stuff but forget trying to get your knee down.

See what it's like on a satellite photo

Simplon Pass

Ride to Kandersteg and stick the bike on the train which goes under the mountains.

Coming out in the Sion Valley there are some great views of the back of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau.

Some of the villages can be a real step back in time

Cross the Sion Valley and head up the Simplon Pass and then descend on a spectacular road into Italy.

Valley Hostel Lauterbrunnen

Not too much of a shabby view to wake up to Very Happy

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Bacon
bacon© Lil Mush
bacon© Lil Mush

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I could well be up for this, put me on the list please Smile
Paul

WooHoo, feck you job centre...I'm offski?

"One man can't make a riot, a one man riot is a tantrum"!

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli
andjel
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, awesome, awesome!
Cool

I would love to be there. ST finances).

'mothman' - half man, half moth

Success is the result of good judgement. Good judgement is the result of experience. Experience is often the result of bad judgement.

"Ad acta"
Lil Mush
Silent but violent
Silent but violent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very interested, but cannot yet commit to anything...

Last edited by Lil Mush on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jollygiant
Trials Rider
Trials Rider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Def interested, looks bloody awsome.
But like lil mush can't commit fully just yet.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the week booked off work Smile . Just the small matter of finding the shekels now Confused

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Names noted and 'provisional places' are fine with me, just means you can't always guarantee the room you want Wink

Waki's deposit paid and room booked..... Shocked

Steph.... If you did go..... would you head straight there? It's 650 miles from Nancy to Lauterbrunnen, which is the same as it is from the UK....

Best get saving Duncan...... 2 Thumbs up

Lil Mush
Silent but violent
Silent but violent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Tusky, but I am in Nantes! Laughing
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Mush wrote:
That's great Tusky, but I am in Nantes! Laughing

Doh...... that's the place.... never did understand French Laughing

Still 650 miles Wink

Lil Mush
Silent but violent
Silent but violent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will see if my big bro is interested in joining me Very Happy
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Mush wrote:
Will see if my big bro is interested in joining me Very Happy

Cool

Sharky
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very much interested in this... Would you guys ay it is a good first tour or should i go for something with a bit less mileage first?

Opinions please!!

Confused
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djSharky wrote:
I'm very much interested in this... Would you guys ay it is a good first tour or should i go for something with a bit less mileage first?

Opinions please!!

Confused

All depends on how many miles you're used to doing on a regular basis.
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wivvy's dad wrote:
djSharky wrote:

Opinions please!!

Confused

Lauterbrunnen is fine for newbies to touring, it is cheap accommodation and flexible..... That is why we have opened it to general forum...... Just the first day is big miles but a lot of that is on private Motorway, so it should not be too bad. In Lauterbrunnen you can pick your routes and where to visit, so it is ideally suited to first timers.

The Dolomites is different because the route there is not great, especially if you have vertigo and that is why it was primarily invite only and aimed for those that know they can handle the altitude and drops Laughing

You coming to the Dolomites then WD........ might take in a certain private Austrian road you've been itching to do Wink

Sharky
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tusky wrote:
wivvy's dad wrote:
djSharky wrote:

Opinions please!!

Confused

Lauterbrunnen is fine for newbies to touring, it is cheap accommodation and flexible..... That is why we have opened it to general forum...... Just the first day is big miles but a lot of that is on private Motorway, so it should not be too bad. In Lauterbrunnen you can pick your routes and where to visit, so it is ideally suited to first timers.

The Dolomites is different because the route there is not great, especially if you have vertigo and that is why it was primarily invite only and aimed for those that know they can handle the altitude and drops Laughing

You coming to the Dolomites then WD........ might take in a certain private Austrian road you've been itching to do Wink

I definately need to meet up with some of you guys and talk this through.. Try and work out a rough cumulative total price etc...
Other thing is being xmas and all that it's gonna be end of Jan before i can front up 150 notes.... Will that be a Problem?
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late Jan/early Feb is not a problem for Valley Hostel (Lauterbrunen), they are pretty flexible but I feel guilty if I leave them hanging for 'maybe bookings' too long....

What I need by end of December is a pretty firm idea of who's in and who's not.

Only downside of late deposit is guaranteeing the Bubble Hotel in Vorges or room choice in Lauterbrunnen Wink

moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, when we went before in 2008, we had the Eurotunnel booked by the end of January. Just something else for peeps to consider.
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tusky wrote:

Don't have the finances unfortunately................................... Crying or Very sad
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought Cool ................
View at the top of the Nufenen Pass.

Grindelwald, which is just a short ride from Lauterbrunnen.

Cable car heading back down to Stechelburg. Shocked

The glacier on the Susten Pass.

...And even time for a break. Laughing

Have some tea and cake
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moriwaki wrote:

Have some tea and cake

Git Laughing

Current position is that about 7-8 of us will be going on to do the Dolomites and accommodation is more or less sorted...

Waki's single room in Lauterbrunnen is booked Thumbs up

What I need to know now is who is seriously thinking of staying at Lauterbrunnen with Waki?

I currently have the whole week block booked but in fairness to the owners, I would want to let them know what rooms we will and wont be wanting ASAP......

This does not mean you have to cough up a deposit right now but it does mean you may lose choice of rooms or a place to stay, if you don't say so now Wink

moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading up on the Klausen Pass which i missed out on last time Rolling Eyes , i found this site.
http://www.alpineroads.com/uri.php Cool
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really can't wait to try out the Klausen Pass. Shocked
http://www.bikecam.ch/paesse/pass_klausen.htm
Kneedown
And, also, the lower Brunig Pass.
http://www.bikecam.ch/paesse/pass_bruenig.htm
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moriwaki wrote:
Reading up on the Klausen Pass which i missed out on last time Rolling Eyes , i found this site.
http://www.alpineroads.com/uri.php Cool

Used that site for info on The Vosges - excellent source.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Touring All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: