BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HID ....good or bad ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is HID a life saver?
Yes anything that makes em take another look
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
No .....they are a menace and distracting
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
yes as long as they are governed to a limit
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: HID ....good or bad ? Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13143206

following on from a conversation on another thread would be interested in the veiws of others.

personally im all for anything that makes mr/mrs smidsy halt in thier tracks because they cannot see due to a fucking bright light ....( thatll be me then fuckwit.......thanks for waiting at that junction)
Now having said that ill agree that the headlight should be angled correctly so as not to blind drivers and obviously quality control should be enforced during the MOT to ensure dipped beam is exactly what it says
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as they are correctly aligned I cannot see an issue.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of them at all. Most on bikes seem to be being fitted by people in sheds on sub 3 year old bikes, I don't think a brighter light will help you to be seen as much as good road positioning and moving so you can be seen etc. A 10kw headlight is no substitute for any of the above.

Personally, I'd like to see light output being the standard to which headlights should conform to rather than power consumption.

Also those cocks who insist on driving/riding everywhere on main beam want a A kick in the nuts too

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes on this as the lights that come as standard on bikes (IMO) are woeful for riding at night

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boudicas wrote:
I voted yes on this as the lights that come as standard on bikes (IMO) are woeful for riding at night

No offence, but have you set the aim up for the rider weight, i.e. if the light is pointing about 3 ft in front of the bike you will need to raise it a bit.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
boudicas
Kermit
Kermit

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
boudicas wrote:

No offence, but have you set the aim up for the rider weight, i.e. if the light is pointing about 3 ft in front of the bike you will need to raise it a bit.

Offence taken and yes

Read my Blog at www.mrboudicas.blogspot.co.uk

See my Videos and hear my rants at www.youtube.com/BoudicasUsefulStuff
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boudicas wrote:
biggus wrote:
boudicas wrote:

Offence taken and yes

A lot of the American sites on the 1100 pan european grumble about the headlight on those, but seriously, they are superb, and come with cockpit mounted height adjustment, perhaps the yank variety has different lights.

One of the problems with motorcycle headlights is that because they rise and dip with accellaration and decellaration as the forks load and unload, they can dramatically change the illuminated area depending if you are on or off the throttle, this can lead to a viscious circle where you chop the throttle, lose vision which slows you down further.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:

A lot of the American sites on the 1100 pan european grumble about the headlight on those, but seriously, they are superb, and come with cockpit mounted height adjustment, perhaps the yank variety has different lights.

Yes Duncan, the US models come with - I think - 35/45watt headlamps. Which is why they try to source European headlights. Seeing as the Pan has no cutoff in either direction, they can be used on any model, national Con & Use regs notwithstanding
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boudicas wrote:

Offence taken

Well put the bloody fence back.....the gate looks stupid stood there on its own Laughing

i dont see anything wrong with trying to have a cleaner crisper light instead of what the manufacturers have been putting in since they replaced the wick soaked in petrol.....and as said if its adjusted correctly then it shouldnt affect the sight of other drivers/riders but as a sharper light it may well gain the attention of billy bob who is half asleep and every normal headlight looks like a streetlight in the distance at night.
Yes i agree Dunc that constant road repositioning and self awareness are ultimate tools to remaining rubber side down but...every little helps eh?
ninjabob
Nuggetmeister
Nuggetmeister

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrE wrote:
boudicas wrote:

Offence taken

Well put the bloody fence back.....the gate looks stupid stood there on its own Laughing

i dont see anything wrong with trying to have a cleaner crisper light instead of what the manufacturers have been putting in since they replaced the wick soaked in petrol.....and as said if its adjusted correctly then it shouldnt affect the sight of other drivers/riders but as a sharper light it may well gain the attention of billy bob who is half asleep and every normal headlight looks like a streetlight in the distance at night.
Yes i agree Dunc that constant road repositioning and self awareness are ultimate tools to remaining rubber side down but...every little helps eh?

The other reason manufacturers may be installing them in the future might be emissions related as they draw less power (typically 35watts) than normal Halogen bulbs and so less workload on the alternator/smaller battery/alternator required/less load on the engine/more mpg.

Those who don't are doomed to pay it."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Biking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: