BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Something for the weekend Sir"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: "Something for the weekend Sir" Reply with quote

I got hold of a project for silly money. So silly I couldn't pass it by. It won't appeal to the majority of people. So I leave myself open to piss taking and ridicule from here on in. I don't give a shit.

As I got it except I hated the bars and changed them for some that were hanging around the garage. They need to be wider though. It came with a a years MoT and 10 months tax, Don't ask me how, yet it all works

I love the copy of the Miller rear light

Not going to go mad at the mo. Need to sort the front light/wiring/clocks for starters. Strip it and get the frame painted and the wheels powder coated. They'll go eventually in favour of spoked rims.
I want to ride it through the summer then go to town when I hibernate in the garage over winter. Whaddya think?
V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will look rather nice once you have done your stuff. Is that the battery I can see all uncovered in front of the rear wheel? Is that ok or will it cause problems at all? Sorry, girl question Embarrassed

biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gis a go Mr

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
acid drop
Despatch Rider
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly different but for silly money, why not
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye 'tis the battery. Need to sort that for astectic reasons more than anything, along with the pink butt plug seat!
Tiny
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Smile
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly has potential.

Nice one Baz
photo chick
"not so little Emma"

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss V wrote:
Is that the battery I can see all uncovered in front of the rear wheel? Is that ok or will it cause problems at all? Sorry, girl question Embarrassed

Nah a girl question would be what colour are u spraying it? lol

www.emmadesigns.com
www.myspace.com/emmaporter
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What colour you spray........ah fuck Laughing

Nice, whats the lump? bit on the short stubby side but looks like it'll be a giggle. Cool

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

You're Never Alone With Schizophrenia
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ_DJ wrote:
bit on the short stubby side

That's not a nice way to talk about BarryH

Laughing behind hand
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wivvy's dad wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:

Laughing behind hand

Better than I normally talk about the old cu............ Laughing

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ_DJ wrote:
wivvy's dad wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:

Laughing behind hand

Better than I normally talk about the old cu............ Laughing

Aye.............true dat
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ_DJ wrote:

Nice, whats the lump? bit on the short stubby side but looks like it'll be a giggle. Cool

Its only a 440 kwak. Goes ok though. I took it for a quick spin today before the spanner twidling started in earnest.
Lump looks short because of the tank. Its a Sportster aftermarket low tunnel job. If I see a high tunnel for reasonable money I may go for a change. The paint on the tinware is actually very good quality. Pity the rest of it isn't!
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:

Its only a 440 kwak. Goes ok though. I took it for a quick spin today before the spanner twidling started in earnest.
Lump looks short because of the tank. Its a Sportster aftermarket low tunnel job. If I see a high tunnel for reasonable money I may go for a change. The paint on the tinware is actually very good quality. Pity the rest of it isn't!

I meant stubby in the length but now I've seen it on the laptop at home it looks better, obviously the rez at work is wonky Laughing
Looks even more cool now Cool

BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Riverside Motorcycles in wandsworth today for a new seat. I can get the same thing from Hitchcocks for almost half the price!
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drain the oil extract the engine remove forks and rear wheel then out with the grit blast gun

Its either a huge packet of Rizla's and half a pound of tobacco or its a tiny numberplate. D'ya think I'll get away with it?

BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise I'm gonna bore you stupid with this! Anyhow been busy busy busy. It doesn't seem like I've achieved much, but believe me I've been sweating with this one.
The welding was more work than I first thought. I had to almost rebuild the left hand engine mount above where the swing arm used to attatch. Its was bollox'd. Kawasaki used a steel pressing that holds water. Its a shit design.
There were welds on the frame, factory ones, that were really shite. I re-did those too.
Took off a load of brackets that are no longer used. Generally smoothed things out and tidied up a little.
Got the seat mount finished. Pretty good it is too, altho I say so myself. And finally got the tank mounted properly so its level and square.

So frame is about ready for paint. I was going to have it powder coated but the list of bits I want/need to replace is growing by the day and eating away at my budget of 1500 quid which includes purchase of the bike.
Dunno wether to go for traditional black or do it silver. I want whitewalls on it so don't know if they'll look ok with a silver frame.

Thats about as far as I've got. Looking to have it finished in about 2 weeks. A tall order, but doable if I spend my evenings locked in the garage. On the upside the neighbours love Planet Rock!!
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Barry.....you're certainly making more progress with your project than i am with mine. Rolling Eyes
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh the next thrilling installment. Reminds me of waiting for Dick Barton to come on the radio, yet most of you won't be old enough to remember that. Anyhoo, things go on at a slower pace than I intended. The firkin exhaust was an right bodge job. The "collector" was a bastardised Motad system. I wasn't gonna have that. It looked shite and blew more than a hooker on Bedford Hill!

So I bit the bullet and purchased some tube. Excellent choice as the inside diameter was just right for the headers and the outside diameter was just right for the silencer. Only prob was that it looked like bloody scaffold tube. A quick call to the Man Biggus had it sorted on the spinny thing. Top Chap. Gave up a couple of hours to spin a bit of tube for me. Cheers chap. I really do appreciate it.

So after spin spin, spark spark and annoying the neighbours for half an hour I eneded up with something that resembles an exhaust collector. I think it looks pretty good.

So a bit of welding a bit more spinny sparky stuff, didn't take any pictures of that, I ended up doing a trial fit to see if it would work.

Looked ok to me and seemed that my half arsed idea would actually work. So Carried on for a bit. Then one of the daughters found a key to the garage and ordered, ORDERD no less, that I take them to the garden centre. What the F..... A couple of hours later and 180 quid lighter I get back and do a bit more sparky....you get the gist......FIRK ME IT FITS!!!!

Bit chuffed with myself really. I'm not a trained welder. I taught myself. All made by mark 1 eyeball. I work on the principle "if it looks right it probably is". Looks ok to me. Whaddya think?

Right off down the pub now for a well earned few pints.....
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really impressed with the work you've done!

The exhaust looks great, and certainly lines up with the frame better than the original did. I quite like the idea of a silver frame but you just know that the slightest rust spot or tarnishing is going to make it look like sh*te...I'd go back to plan A and do it black. Matt black looks great IMHO, especially on this kind of bike.

Just to throw another spanner in the works, what are you going to do with all the cables/wiring from the handlebars? While you've got it all stripped down it would be a great opportunity to run them all internally. Last time I looked (a couple of years ago) you can now get decent internal throttle assemblies.
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosnowking wrote:
While you've got it all stripped down it would be a great opportunity to run them all internally. Last time I looked (a couple of years ago) you can now get decent internal throttle assemblies.

I did look into that, but cost is a bit pohibative. The best I could find for 7/8ths bars is a smidge over 120 quid. Its a budget build at the mo. I dunno wether I'm going to like riding it, only had a quick spin on it before I stripped it.

If, when its finished, I like it then during the winter hibernation I'll strip it again and go to town getting it how I'd like it. For the moment the plan is to tidy it up, make it look decent and ride it on sunny sundays for a bit of relaxed giggles.
I don't want a show bike. Bikes are for riding not showing. Add to the fact I probably haven't got the skills/time to make a show bike anyway!

I'll tidy the front end controls by getting proper length cables etc. Currently wrestling with a bit of steel sheet trying to decide how I want the electrics box. That should tidy the wiring relays etc and make things a bit neater, with luck.
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Barry. I wish I had the energy, let alone the skills!
My "project" bike still looks the same as it did when I bought it about 8 months ago!!!!!
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its tinkering Jim, but not as we know it Laughing ....sorry been watching the original Star Trek series.
Its a habit I've had for years. I like to see how things work. The easiest way to see that is take'em apart. No energy or skill involved and a habit bourne out of nessesity.(spelt that wrong, just too pissed to be bothered to change it!)
Today has mainly been fitting things up to make sure they fit and tinkering with bits of metal to make a decent battery box and a dummy oil tank, aka an electrics box.
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
Its a habit I've had for years. I like to see how things work. The easiest way to see that is take 'em apart. No energy or skill involved.

Me too.

One day I may even learn how to put 'em back together....... Laughing behind hand

Lookin' good tho' Barry................ 2 Thumbs up
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told you I was going to bore you stupid with this! I have issues with the front guard. You don't need one for the MoT, but seems the Police will take issue under the Construction and Use crap.

I didn't like the front guard. It looked horrible, it looked wrong. I liked the front end without any guard fitted. Can't have that under C&U regs. So I chopped it. Do you think I'll get away with this?

I will, once Ive smoothed the edges a bit more, spray it satin black so it doesn't shout "LOOK AT ME" too much. Do you think I'll feasibly get away with it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Photographs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: