BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> New to the Box Hill forums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyGallows
Pedestrian
Pedestrian

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: New! Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm a new member and a new rider, well hopefully a new rider, DAS starts on saturday and my tests are on Wednesday. I am the proud owner of a '97 GSF600 bandit already, though a little premature I know but as a life long bike fan that could never afford a bike until recently. So when i could afford it I saw it and I wanted it lol. Hope to be up on the hill very soon!

P.s I'll put a pic of the bike up when I work out how! Lol

Last edited by JimmyGallows on Thu May 10, 2012 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello & Welcome gluck with the test Thumbs up

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
summerman
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Hello & Welcome gluck with the test Thumbs up

+1 mate!

Badits are very good starter bikes Smile
JimmyGallows
Pedestrian
Pedestrian

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers lads, training starts Saturday, then monday & Tuesday. Any recomendations for insurance companies?
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyGallows wrote:
Cheers lads, training starts Saturday, then monday & Tuesday. Any recomendations for insurance companies?

I use Express Insurance, shop around though is the best recommendation

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sharky
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jimmy Very Happy

Enjoy the training, and keep calm on test day and I'm sure you'll be fine. Let us know 2 Thumbs up
nosnowking
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and good luck with the test.

As for insurance, my usual approach is to put details into go compare and see what happens. It's like a fruit machine, gives you a different result every time Very Happy
moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings. Shake on it
JimmyGallows
Pedestrian
Pedestrian

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all thanks for the welcome, I'm after some advice, just done day 2 of my DAS, they've suggested that I do a restricted test, however my first two days have been on a 125, I've literally gone up and down the road once on the 500 and that's it. I'm debating the restricted but feel a little like I haven't been given the chance. Apparently I'm on a 125 tomorrow morning and possibly the 500 in the afternoon. So I guess I'm asking opinion, restricted or not?

P.s if I do go restricted, how much to restrict my bandit 600?
V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment on restriction I am afraid as did my test prior to this two modules stuff, failed direct access first time too.

Good luck with which ever option you go with and just remember the end goal is worth it, if funds allowed can you do restricted and get dome practice in before perhaps retaking full test?

JimmyGallows
Pedestrian
Pedestrian

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently if I pass the restricted test my bike is o ly restricted for 2 years and I don't need to take another test.
V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may decide that two years is too long Wink

Willz
Cyclist
Cyclist

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to do your restricted test then dont ride the bandit before the restrictor kit is fitted, that way you wont know what you missing out on Wink
NAPA121
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A test is a test is a test is a test...Does not matter which machine you're on so you might as well do the test on the bigger machine to save you hassle later.

When I passed in 2005 I was planning to do the restricted but my instructor said the above and boy was he right. I'm so glad that I did the bigger test so that I have the choice of what I ride.

Cheers
Neil
NAPA121
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and Welcome Welcome
Lucky7
Learner
Learner

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello & welcome Smile
Sharky
TT Racer
TT Racer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyGallows wrote:
Hi all thanks for the welcome, I'm after some advice, just done day 2 of my DAS, they've suggested that I do a restricted test, however my first two days have been on a 125, I've literally gone up and down the road once on the 500 and that's it. I'm debating the restricted but feel a little like I haven't been given the chance. Apparently I'm on a 125 tomorrow morning and possibly the 500 in the afternoon. So I guess I'm asking opinion, restricted or not?

P.s if I do go restricted, how much to restrict my bandit 600?

Here's my penny's worth....

The way i would look at this is that the instructor has recommended this for a reason - he isn't out to upset you, he will only be thinking of the safety of you and other road users.
If he genuinely feels that you struggled on the 500, he will have his reasons. maybe it's worth discussing the points he is concerned about and you may convince him to give you another go.

Otherwise, the two year restriction isn't going to kill you, there are many riders on this forum who have sat at 33BHP quite happily, then when the time came they took off their restrictors and were probably found to be better riders for it.

Dont feel disheartened and feel that you are being shafted, remember to also take into account the time frame you have to get everything right for the tests... it's not much on a DAS! If they concentrate trying to fix something that you are struggling on, you may not be recieveing the correct amount of training in other areas and end up failing.

And you've heard right.. unless it's changed in the three years since i did mine, there is no re-test necesary after the two years, it is simply designed to build up your experience and confidence.
You might get lucky and get a response form the Teacher.. but haven't seen him lurking around these parts for some time....

Whatever you decide, there will be plenty of runs for you to take part in on here as the summer draws closer - we're not all maniacs! Twisted Evil
JimmyGallows
Pedestrian
Pedestrian

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much peeps for your advice I'll speak to my instructor in the morning and see what happens. But I'll keep you posted an hope to meet some of you when I get on the hill!
Bacon
bacon© Lil Mush
bacon© Lil Mush

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome Jimmmy. Good luck with the test and making the right choice with regard to restricted or not. Do what you and the instructor truely feel you are comfortable doing.

If you can do non restricted then go for it, just ride according to your ability not someone elses. Your right hand will control that Cool

WooHoo, feck you job centre...I'm offski?

"One man can't make a riot, a one man riot is a tantrum"!

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli
Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience would be that a 500cc is easier to handle on a test than a 125cc. You can virtually do the U turn on tick over Wink

Yours and the instructors call of course and welcome to the forum Very Happy

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
bumble
Drag Racer
Drag Racer

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna put my little bit in also,
I done my test on a 125 last year, i did try to do it on a 500cc but found the bikes very heavy and big to handle, im only small

If i tried slow moves i would end up leaning to much/or stalling and then the bike lands on me,
So was advised to take it on a 125, was a bit gutted at first but found it much easier, also having a 125 of your own gives you loads more pratice time, i was out day and night for weeks before my test,
now i have been riding a year i no i could do it easy on a 500cc but dont have the expensives to do the full test,

33bhp bikes can be quite nippy,
JimmyGallows
Pedestrian
Pedestrian

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in the spirit of continuity, in updating you all. Training today was wicked everything seemed to click in place from hill starts to remembering to cancel my signal, mods 1 & (hopefully) 2 tomorrow. Looking forward to it but I'm not sure if that's nerves or wanting to get it over with lol. Cheers for the advice everyone, I'll update with news tomorrow. Any advice in the meantime will be more than welcome.
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get full licence, I had bought a 125 to practice on that was off the road for the months before I booked full test (yamaha shite) so never got to practice anyway. passed with 1 minor.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it Smile I didn't do the new test with all this mod 1/2 stuff, but from what I gather a lot of people who fail "mod 1" do so for not going fast enough through the speed sensors, I'm sure your instructor will have covered this with you though. What school are you with?

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

tphillips
Cyclist
Cyclist

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Smile Good luck, here is a brain dump of some of the stuff I kept in mind:

Mod1
------

General:
Get there early if poss and watch a few.
IMHO I think it would be easier doing a mod 1 on a bigger bike, easier to get up to speed and more stability.
Listen to the instructor, he will tell you when to start / stop your engine etc.
Wear appropriate clothing.
Never start the bike when you aren't on it. Never get off before you turn it off.
Ride in the area as if its a public highway, shoulder checks before you pull away!

On and off the stand:
No need for the centre stand here, give the side stand a double kick to check its down (apparently they like that)

Wheeling the machine:
Give yourself loads of room!

Slalom and figure of 8's:
Shoulder checks
Don't try to go too slowly
Get on the back brake, don't use the front brake
Look where you are going, i.e look into the turn
Use plenty of space for the figure 8

Slow speed control:
Shoulder checks
Get on that back brake again, use the clutch, grip with your knees.

U Turn:
Full rear observation, back break control, grip with your knees, look into the turn.

Cornering:
Shoulder checks
Stay in 2nd, use this as a chance to check out (just look) at the swerve.

Emergency stop:
Shoulder checks Wink Get up to speed coming out the corner, stay in 2nd. Through the speed trap and off the gas, Front brake, back brake clutch JUST before you stall. Dont skid. That's far more important than taking an extra metre to stop.

Swerve:
Shoulder checks...
Nothing to worry about, but practice throwing the bike about before you get to your mod1. If its raining, don't panic - its a special grippy surface that's just as good in the wet. (Burgess hill right?). A conscious counter steer can help if you are comfortable doing so. Stop in the cones but don't knock them over, don't worry about stopping AT the cones.

End:
Don't forget to do your shoulder checks! Would be a shame to fail on that after passing everything else Wink

Mod2
------

A lot of the same general principals apply. This may sound stupid, but try to relax and enjoy the ride. You will ride better if you are not shitting it.

Memorise your questions and answers so you can talk about them confidently, this can help break the ice with the examiner.

Remember your lifesavers. As a general rule of thumb, do one whenever you change direction. DO ONE WHEN YOU TURN RIGHT OUT OF THE PARKING AREA AT BURGESS HILL.

Remember to check your mirrors & do a life saver before you signal when turning right. Get your speed and position sorted, then another lifesaver, then turn right. No need for the final lifesaver if you are turning left, unless there is a cycle lane or some other reason. The examiner does not want to see you throwing your head about like a nodding dog.

Check your mirrors often.

Check your mirrors when the speed limit changes, this lets the examiner know you have seen the change Wink

Get up to speed quickly.

Don't bother filtering.

Leave enough distance between you and the traffic in front. 2 seconds, or more if it is wet.

Overtake if you need to. But do it safely with the proper signalling and checks.

Sort your road positioning. Centre mostly, apart from when you are going round a right hand bend, then slightly over to the left. Don't get too close to those white lines.

Lifesaver and proper signalling on roundabouts.

Cancel your signals! So important.... Even in the real world Smile

Think & plan ahead. The examiner wants to see you are a safe rider. Remember people open car doors, step out, don't see you ect. Don't concentrate on your front wheel, or even the car ahead, look further.

Lifesavers when moving out go go round parked cars, and back in again. Don't get too close to them, people open doors.

Shoulder checks before you pull off at lights. If you sit there a while, throw a couple in while you wait. Stay in 1st in your safety stop position. Back break engaged.

Good luck!! Enjoy it, and try to relax.

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> New to the Box Hill forums All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: