BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Make a bolt for it!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Make a bolt for it!! Reply with quote

Ok lets see which of you knowledgable chap (and chapesess) can answer me this!!

I have bought a set of risers for my build and they are obviously of a Harley and an Imeprial M12 not a Metric M12 as there is very little in it but they won't go through my top you. I can't drill the yoke out cause its got rubber vibration mounts sleeved with metal which is too thin to cut back.

So question is is it possible to get an imperial thread on one end, unthreaded in the middle and threaded the other end metric M12 ie

Sorry its a crude drawing only have paint on the work pc!!

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

You're Never Alone With Schizophrenia
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Make a bolt for it!! Reply with quote

PJ_DJ wrote:

I have bought a set of risers for my build and they are obviously of a Harley and an Imeprial M12 not a Metric M12 as there is very little in it but they won't go through my top you. I can't drill the yoke out cause its got rubber vibration mounts sleeved with metal which is too thin to cut back.

So question is is it possible to get an imperial thread on one end, unthreaded in the middle and threaded the other end metric M12 ie

I'm sure I could make you such a thing...

"imperial M12" is probably a 1/2" UNF or UNC thread... they are both (Metric & UNF/UNC) 60 degrees cut

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count the "threads per inch" on the imperial end 13 = UNC, 20 = UNF Smile

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PJ_DJ
Son of Athos
Son of Athos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Make a bolt for it!! Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:

I'm sure I could make you such a thing...

"imperial M12" is probably a 1/2" UNF thread... they are both (Metric & UNF) 60 degrees cut

Seriously!! that would be amazing, and definetly worth a couple of beers and a guitar lesson I reckon Wink I've got all the original bolts etc so can work out the lengths and what not then show you the threads etc.
Will give you a bell, bit tied up this weekend as gotta go sort me mortgage out maybe weekend after?

The only reason I'm fat is because everytime I f&*ked your mum she gave me a biscuit!

You're Never Alone With Schizophrenia
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ_DJ wrote:
Seriously!! that would be amazing, and definetly worth a couple of beers and a guitar lesson I reckon Wink I've got all the original bolts etc so can work out the lengths and what not then show you the threads etc.
Will give you a bell, bit tied up this weekend as gotta go sort me mortgage out maybe weekend after?

Yeah np... any excuse to use my lathe Laughing next w/e probably better for me too as out on the beer this w/e. Guinness

BTW....
M12 usually is 1.75 mm pitch. i.e. the distance between 2 peaks, however, a lot of the Jap bikes use finer variants, such as 1.5mm or 1.25mm pitch.

1/2" UNF is 20tpi i.e. roughly the "peak to peak" (pitch) is 1.27mm, which is very close to the finest M12 (1.25pitch)

1/2" UNC is 13tpi - about 1.95mm pitch - therefore slightly coarser than the standard coarse M12 (1.75)

HTH Speccy

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Last edited by biggus on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:

Yeah np... any excuse to use my lathe Laughing next w/e probably better for me too as out on the beer this w/e. Guinness

BTW....
M12 usually is 1.75 mm pitch. i.e. the distance between 2 peaks, however, a lot of the Jap bikes use finer variants, such as 1.5mm or 1.25mm pitch.

1/2" UNF is 20tpi i.e. roughly the "peak to peak" (pitch) is 1.27mm, which is very close to the finest M12 (1.25pitch)

1/2" UNC is 13tpi - about 1.95mm pitch - therefore slightly coarser than the standard coarse M12 (1.75)

HTH Speccy

Why are you a salesman and not a paid mechanic!
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
biggus wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:

BTW....

HTH Speccy

Because I earn over 10x what I did as a mechanic 15 years ago (working for someone else), & my father said he'd kill me if I went into the motor trade, he's still very much alive and capable of carrying out that threat... My enjoyment of tinkering would I expect be considerably less if I had to do it.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Taz
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, I have two bikes that will need post winter tinkering very shortly Very Happy
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Taz wrote:
biggus wrote:
PJ_DJ wrote:

BTW....

HTH Speccy

Because I earn over 10x what I did as a mechanic 15 years ago (working for someone else), & my father said he'd kill me if I went into the motor trade, he's still very much alive and capable of carrying out that threat... My enjoyment of tinkering would I expect be considerably less if I had to do it.

Will my campervan fit in your workshop?

Just a couple of small jobs to do.

Laughing behind hand
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wivvy's dad wrote:
Will my campervan fit in your workshop?

No. Laughing

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would if you laid it on its side.............
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
It would if you laid it on its side.............

Then it'd be too wide.........................................................dur!

Laughing
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about if it was made into a convertible?
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimBo wrote:
How about if it was made into a convertible?

Your crash really did mess wid yo head

Laughing
JimBo
Pedantic Cnut
Pedantic Cnut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wivvy's dad wrote:
Your crash really did mess wid yo head

Laughing

What a relief! I thought it was Alzheimer's Surprised .
Peter T
Pedestrian
Pedestrian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought UNF/UNc were 55 degrees cut and metric is 60 degrees.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter T wrote:
I thought UNF/UNc were 55 degrees cut and metric is 60 degrees.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Peter T
Pedestrian
Pedestrian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are quite right, i was thinking about Whitworth and British standard fine.
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter T wrote:
Yes you are quite right, i was thinking about Whitworth and British standard fine.

proper threads 2 Thumbs up

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Peter T
Pedestrian
Pedestrian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring back BA i say !!!!
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter T wrote:
Bring back BA i say !!!!

I ain't getting on no plane... crazy fool Wink Smile

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

moriwaki
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Peter T wrote:
Bring back BA i say !!!!

I ain't getting on no plane... crazy fool Wink Smile

lost the thread

Hide behind sofa
BarryH
Cabbage club member #1
Cabbage club member #1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Lost Thread"........nicely done pun! Still doesn't help PJ get a handle on things until he gets his nuts screwed on to something.......
wivvy's dad
Cabbage club member #3
Cabbage club member #3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryH wrote:
"Lost Thread"........nicely done pun!

You pitched that one just right Barry
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tada...

And screwed into the risers...

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: