BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index BoxHill.co.uk
Boxhill Community Forum

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Biker Down Course

View previous topic :: View next topic  
V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Biker Down Course Reply with quote

Posh is now not able to attend this with me so if anyone else fancies it???

I have two spaces in total, me plus one

www.kent.fire-uk.org

The main points covered in three modules;Accident scene management,
motorcycle specific first aid training
classroom based tuition on group riding

Venue & time;Ashford Fire Station
23rd May
19:00hrs to 2200hrs

V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to say that Posh was able to come with me after all for what was a very very worthwhile evening!

Cant recommend http://www.facebook.com/#!/kentfirebike highly enough, really informative evening with a comprehensive first aid kit given to each of us and all totally free!!

Contact james.sanderson@kent.fire-uk.org if you are interested in attending one of these courses yourself

IF you are on scene when someone has an off or is taken out believe me it is much more reassuring to know you have some basic understanding of how to best manage not only the scene but also any injured people (friends!)

megawatt
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did one a few months ago. Brilliant few hours. Worth doing just for the first aid kit!!!
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I organised a "First bike on scene" course a few years back, which we had to pay for, V, you were on that also, how do you think it compared?

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Carnage
British Superbike Racer
British Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
I organised a "First bike on scene" course a few years back, which we had to pay for, V, you were on that also, how do you think it compared?

FBOS held at the Pied Bull if i recall correctly, very good with lots of one to one communication and tuition.
V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one I feel was more useful as also included two other sections, scene management and a talk from Kevin williams re being seen and awareness. The first aid kit is fab, just hope not to need it

The first aid section on this course included management of heavy bleeds as well as lid removal and of course a vinny jones practice on the old resuss dummy

Tusky
Pie Dipper
Pie Dipper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brings back memories of the actor guy (forgotten his name) giving the resuscitation dummy a verbal check over "Annie are you ok are you OK Annie". Laughing

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
NAPA121
Mini Moto racer
Mini Moto racer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V wrote:

Glad to say that Posh was able to come with me after all for what was a very very worthwhile evening!

Cant recommend http://www.facebook.com/#!/kentfirebike highly enough, really informative evening with a comprehensive first aid kit given to each of us and all totally free!!

Contact james.sanderson@kent.fire-uk.org if you are interested in attending one of these courses yourself

IF you are on scene when someone has an off or is taken out believe me it is much more reassuring to know you have some basic understanding of how to best manage not only the scene but also any injured people (friends!)

Did this last night.....A very worthwhile evening.... Cool

Hopefully I'll never have to use it but if something does happen at least it has given me something to think about.

Especially as it's all free if you have not done something like this I would highly recommend it.

Cheers
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tusky wrote:
Brings back memories of the actor guy (forgotten his name) giving the resuscitation dummy a verbal check over "Annie are you ok are you OK Annie". Laughing

"You've Been Hit By
You've Been hit By
A Smooth Criminal"

Laughing

That was Llewelyn (LSD) - I was telling Alan955 about that last night...

Having done this course last night (at Whitstable rather than Ashford), I can really recommend it, I have had occasion to remove a crashed riders helmet on a couple of occasions and learned how to do it on the first bike on scene course a few years back - Bikerdown run by the Kent fire bike project is superior in many respects to FBoS, not least of which because it's free...

Bear in mind that one of the motorcylists whos helmet I have had to remove was that of a stranger, this does not just apply to those who ride in groups... remember, as a motorcyclist, filtering to the front of a collision/incident created traffic queue, you can often be one of the first to arrive at the scene, and having half a clue as to whether you should or should not remove a riders helmet and how to manage the scene are things that in an ideal world we should all know.

One thing that was not touched on is that if you start to make moves to remove a riders helmet there will be all manner of bystanders who may interject and tell you that you shouldn't (you do need to explain why, and that you know how to do it - i.e. not breathing etc etc). I will feed this back to the team as it's a very important that was either missed or that I missed.

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't

There are II types of people in the world: those who understand Roman numerals and those who don't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent Fire Bike Facebook wrote:
NEWS FLASH!! SHORT NOTICE BUT.......I have a couple (or so) spaces available on a Biker Down course tomorrow night at Ashford Fire Station 7pm -10pm e-mail me today asap for an invite! james.sanderson at kent.fire-uk.org (replace at with @)

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

V
MotoGP Racer
MotoGP Racer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
Kent Fire Bike Facebook wrote:
NEWS FLASH!! SHORT NOTICE BUT.......I have a couple (or so) spaces available on a Biker Down course tomorrow night at Ashford Fire Station 7pm -10pm e-mail me today asap for an invite! james.sanderson at kent.fire-uk.org (replace at with @)

Anyone not sure if this is worth doing, IT IS! Very Happy

megawatt
Speedway Rider
Speedway Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that!
ChoccieMuffin
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, I'd be really interested in that, need to check the forum a bit more often!
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChoccieMuffin wrote:
Darn, I'd be really interested in that, need to check the forum a bit more often!

Remember there are two Ashfords though hey Wink Hide behind sofa

(not implying you're navigationally inept or anything)

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

ChoccieMuffin
World Superbike Racer
World Superbike Racer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggus wrote:
ChoccieMuffin wrote:

Yeah, true. But I figured it'd be Ashford in Kent, seeing as it's Kent Fire Service that's doing the course. (The clue is in the name...)
biggus
illitterātus
illitterātus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChoccieMuffin wrote:
biggus wrote:
ChoccieMuffin wrote:

Yeah, true. But I figured it'd be Ashford in Kent, seeing as it's Kent Fire Service that's doing the course. (The clue is in the name...)

Fished in!

www.bigguspicus.co.uk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BoxHill.co.uk Forum Index -> Events & runs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: